Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

5starpool wrote: »
    Which of our players could be playing in the confederations Cup this summer then?

Suarez
    Coates
    Lucas
    Coutinho (unlikely)
    Borini
    Reina
    Enrique (unlikely, but if there are a lot of withdrawals perhaps?)

It's a pity that Suarez and Lucas could be going, the rest I wouldn't mind as much.
    Borini will proabably with the italian u21s over the summer, assuming they qualified for the tournament. Itll be interesting to see if lucas and coutinho make it, wouldnt want lucas going tbh. Highly doubt enrique would even be considered.

Hopefully coates has a good game v spain tomorrow, he always seems to do much better for uraguay then us but if he has a mare again they will tear him a new one, poor aul glen will have to deal with either neymar or ronaldonho :p should be a few good games tomorrow, hopefully some good performances and no injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

opr wrote: »
    Likely a nothing story but it's from Andy Hunter in the Guardian. Rodgers wants Ben Arfa in the summer.

(I love the phrase, will consider :rolleyes:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/05/liverpool-newcastle-hatem-ben-arfa

Opr

Yeesh, dont we have enough of that type of player. Smells of lazy journalism to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good video on the SAS partnership against City:

The 2 have really built up an understanding already.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would say he will be sold in the summer , the Blackpool chairman seems to be playing hard ball right now . I think he will end up back at LFC because of the 35% clause it would make sense to deal with us rather then try to get 10 million plus because I can't see him going for over 8 .

Oh I do think he will be sold in the summer, and Blackpool will activate the 1 year add on to make sure they get as much as they can for him.

They know they will lose 35% of any sale thanks to the sell on clause we have with them, and they will lose another chunk thanks to the clause Ince has in his contract which gives him a small % of any sale fee. So what they will want is a bidding war.

But even if there was a bidding war we can just sit back and not get involved, because we will know and Oyston will know that we will be coming in for our35% regardless of who buys the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Kess73 wrote: »
    Oh I do think he will be sold in the summer, and Blackpool will activate the 1 year add on to make sure they get as much as they can for him.

They know they will lose 35% of any sale thanks to the sell on clause we have with them, and they will lose another chunk thanks to the clause Ince has in his contract which gives him a small % of any sale fee. So what they will want is a bidding war.

But even if there was a bidding war we can just sit back and not get involved, because we will know and Oyston will know that we will be coming in for our35% regardless of who buys the player.

I would offer oyston 1 or 2 million less then anybody else and tell him to leave the 35% . To me its a win win situation for us and it shows we should be adding in these clauses into any young players we let go . It is a shame we didn't add in a buy back clause for x amount we should also consider doing this with all the young players we let go .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Who did we sign in jan apart from Sturridge?
    Haven't paid attention in months...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

shakira-baby-600.jpg
    Milan was born in Barcelona on Jan. 24

That's 9 months after John Terry got sent off vs Barcelona in the Camp Nou

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,975 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Who did we sign in jan apart from Sturridge?
    Haven't paid attention in months...

Philippe Coutinho. Brazilian attacking midfielder, likely used as wing forward for us. From Inter Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Two goals for Ince tonight and he looks really good

He was playing as a second striker, and they couldn't handle him. But it was as much a product of great set-up work, they were putting in crosses for fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I saw a good bit of last night's England U21 game, and both Shelvey and Henderson (in particular) looked a cut above most. Wisdom had little to do, and Robinson got forward well. But both the CMs linked well, picked out long passes, and were involved in the goals.

We should give Henderson the arm-band for games where we play the younger players, he excels in that role. His pass that led to the peno was Gerrard-esque, and it looked easy - like a great golf shot. In next seasons League Cup, I'd like to see him as a de-facto captain when we are playing the B team, give him that responsibility, unless someone very senior like Stevbie, Carra or Lucas are playing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think it would have to be a very young team for Hendo to get the armband. He's really just growing into himself in this setup.
    If he was captain for a small game or a young set of players and the game went badly it could be very detrimental to his confidence.

Stevie
    Carra
    Reina
    Suarez
    Lucas
    Agger

Would all be ahead of Hendo atm. Thats not to say I dont agree with the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Saw two very brief clips from the England U-21 game - one of Henderson's 50 yd Gerrardesque pass to Ince, and another of Shelvey missing a header from about 2 inches out.

re: Shelvey - he seems to be the next player up for unjustified criticism now that Henderson has found form. He has a lot to learn but has huge potential for a guy who is still only 20. If his skill/talent ever catches up with his attitude he could be a serious player.

As I said before, Shelvey thinks he's already there. Thats his problem. Sometimes he looks the real deal, others he's not close. I hope in the future its the first one and he's proved right.

I dont think young footballers should be allowed use Twitter. Shelvey for example had a good start to the season, then form drops and he gets lashed out of it online.

Can't be good for a young lads mentality ( I know you need to be strong and able to take criticism but tousands of randomers abusing a kid has to take a toll)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

11422_10151551203537573_1818299959_n.jpg

Lucas: Why I will be a dad to Coutinho

Lucas Leiva has revealed how he is going to help Philippe Coutinho settle quickly into life at Liverpool by becoming a father figure to him.

As one of the senior players at Anfield, Liverpool's No.21 said he will take on the responsibility of making his fellow Brazil ace feel as comfortable as possible in his new surroundings.

Lucas told Liverpoolfc.com: "He's a great talent - a young player but with a lot of experience - and I'm really looking forward to playing with him and helping him to settle quickly in England. He doesn't speak much English, so I will try to be his dad for a few months and hopefully he will be okay.

"I will just try to make him feel comfortable, the same way I did for Luis [Suarez] and Sebastian Coates.

"I've been here for a long time and it's just what I feel I need to do and what I feel I have to do. Hopefully he will feel comfortable."

Lucas also said he will help our new No.10 understand the Scouse dialect of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

He joked: "First he needs to speak English and then he will learn the Scouse accent!"

While a whole host of stars are away from Melwood this week on international duty Lucas will not be involved when Brazil take on England at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Liverpool's No.21 admits it is something of a shame as he would have played against his midfield partner and Anfield skipper Steven Gerrard, but having only recently returning from injury he was not selected for the squad.

He said: "It would have been nice to play against Stevie and England at Wembley but unfortunately my injuries cost me, and I just need to get back playing well and hopefully be involved in the next squad."

After playing back-to-back 90 minutes against Arsenal and Manchester City in the space of a few days, Lucas believes he is gradually edging back to tip-top fitness.

"I think I am very close to where I want to be," added the Brazilian.

"It's been a long journey for me but I have to be patient, keep calm and try to just keep working the same way I'm doing. Hopefully I'll be feeling better and better with every single game."

Monday night's visit of West Bromwich Albion to Anfield is set to see Lucas play his 200th game in a red shirt - a milestone he is particularly proud of.

He added: "It has been a long journey for me to reach 200 games but I wouldn't change anything and I'm really looking forward to playing my 200th game for Liverpool at Anfield - hopefully with a good result.

"It will be a special night for me and I will try to enjoy it as much as I can."

Reflecting on Sunday's 2-2 draw at the Etihad Stadium, Lucas insists there is every reason for optimism as Brendan Rodgers' side try and fight for a top-four finish come the end of the season.

"I thought we were the better team from the first minute at City and controlled the game," he said.

"We created more chances than them and at the end we conceded a silly goal which cost us two points. We just need to improve on that and make sure we win these type of games.

"I think both games [Arsenal and City] were mixed emotions for us. We were winning both games and we have to analyse that. We played well in both games and maybe in a few parts of both of them we lost a little bit of the momentum. We need to improve on that and build for the next game.

"We need to get a good run going again and see what's going to happen. We know the gap is big but we need to keep believing and try to finish as high as we can."

@Kerrygooney.... fair play to you just saw you posted that in the Utd thread. Well in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I would offer oyston 1 or 2 million less then anybody else and tell him to leave the 35% . To me its a win win situation for us and it shows we should be adding in these clauses into any young players we let go . It is a shame we didn't add in a buy back clause for x amount we should also consider doing this with all the young players we let go .

Isnt that more or less what they did? & his response was to stop taking our calls & go running to the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

gafferino wrote: »
    @Kerrygooney.... fair play to you just saw you posted that in the Utd thread. Well in.

I hate the Munich songs as much as I hate the Hillsborough songs.

People getting a rise out of each other over people dying isn't on in my eyes.

I wasn't sure about leaving it over there but I hope it's taken in the spirit it was left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

donfers wrote: »
    jaysus, the concern now is that ince's value will go up and the tribunal will set a hefty price in the Summer - indeed what odds he'll get a full cap before the season is out in some friendly pushing the number still higher

some positives

1. he wants to come here

2. usually these tribunals set numbers on the low side

3. we get 35% if he goes elsewhere

a negative

if he continues to produce the goods a bigger fish than ourselves may show interest

can we make an offer now and have the deal in place to buy him at the end of the season

Joe Allen concedes that his form since completing a big-money move to Liverpool has not been good enough.

The 22-year-old midfielder followed Brendan Rodgers from Swansea City to Anfield last summer, with £15million changing hands.

Allen has, however, struggled to display the consistency which drew so much praise during his time in South Wales.
    He admits that he is yet to produce his best for the Reds but, despite losing his place in the team, is convinced that hard work for club and country will get him back on track.

Ahead of an international outing for Wales against Austria on Wednesday, Allen said: "My form hasn't been great.

"I'm a perfectionist and maybe that's my problem. Sometimes I get frustrated and disappointed when things aren't perfect.

"It's been disappointing not to have been involved in every game and play every game.

"But it's up to me now to work hard and get myself back in the team and improve my level of performance."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

gafferino wrote: »
    Joe Allen concedes that his form since completing a big-money move to Liverpool has not been good enough.

The 22-year-old midfielder followed Brendan Rodgers from Swansea City to Anfield last summer, with £15million changing hands.

Allen has, however, struggled to display the consistency which drew so much praise during his time in South Wales.
    He admits that he is yet to produce his best for the Reds but, despite losing his place in the team, is convinced that hard work for club and country will get him back on track.

Ahead of an international outing for Wales against Austria on Wednesday, Allen said: "My form hasn't been great.

"I'm a perfectionist and maybe that's my problem. Sometimes I get frustrated and disappointed when things aren't perfect.

"It's been disappointing not to have been involved in every game and play every game.

"But it's up to me now to work hard and get myself back in the team and improve my level of performance."

His form seemed to dip after there was an outcry about his role in the team in the media. After an initial honeymoon period, he was soon labelled as a 'pass it sideways' merchant. I'm not sure if that knocked his confidence or maybe pushed him to try things he wasn't comfortable with. However, the end result has been a mini-slump in form.

At least he is admitting it and is vowing to turn his form around. Hopefully he can prove the doubters wrong between now and the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Seen this on twitter earlier. Interesting, I wasn't actually aware that this happened. Just goes to show what mugs who sing about either tragedy are.

03281E98-C23B-44BD-95B2-4B543B1D7B69-881-0000006C1A1CB854.jpg

Anyone who takes pleasure in celebrating the tragic deaths of other human beings is an idiot. Plain and simple.

I was reading about that a few months ago and it struck me how little the "fans" who celebrate the Munich crash know about the history if our club.
    Unfortunatly both clubs have idiot fans. Although there is a mistakes in the tweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the back of last nights England u21 game I was just thinking about how many Liverpool players could be mainstays of the senior squad in two years.

Squad of 23.

Carroll/Sturridge/Welbeck/Walcott/Rooney will be the main attacking options I'd say with

Ince/Sterling/Ox-Cham/Rose/Lennon (if he is lucky) as the wide men

Cleverley/Henderson/Wilshere/Gerrard (just about hanging on) in the middle

Cahill/Walker/Kelly/Smalling/Robinson/G. Johnson (just about)

Hart/Rudd/Butland

Obviously a few may never get there and some may get fast tracked (Wisdom, Wickham?) and maybe the likes of Young and Milner may still be around.

mike65 wrote: »
    On the back of last nights England u21 game I was just thinking about how many Liverpool players could be mainstays of the senior squad in two years.

Squad of 23.

Carroll/Sturridge/Welbeck/Walcott/Rooney will be the main attacking options I'd say with

Ince/Sterling/Ox-Cham/Rose/Lennon (if he is lucky) as the wide men

Cleverley/Henderson/Wilshere/Gerrard (just about hanging on) in the middle

Cahill/Walker/Kelly/Smalling/Robinson/G. Johnson (just about)

Hart/Rudd/Butland

Obviously a few may never get there and some may get fast tracked (Wisdom, Wickham?) and maybe the likes of Young and Milner may still be around.

I'd give Wisdom more of a chance that Robinson but having 5 or 6 guys in the England squad is no harm I suppose. I just hope that they all save their best form for the Reds!

Btw, does anyone know whether Dion Fanning answered those questions that were posted on the Irish Kop site? I see from his twitter account that he got a bit of stick over his Sunday Indo column.

Personally I though that some of his article was unfair. Seems to have come to an early judgement on Rodgers and is picking and choosing his 'facts' to suit his argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fanning hasn't come back with his replies yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

skywalker wrote: »
    Isnt that more or less what they did? & his response was to stop taking our calls & go running to the press.

To me it was a case of not wanting to sell their best player after loosing holloway as their manager because they have plunged to 15 th . Thats pretty why Oyston ran to the press was to get a bidding war going and nothing else . I think he will be an LFC player in the summer but if Oyston wants to be stubborn we will take our 35 % and spend it on somebody else .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

PRAF wrote: »
    Btw, does anyone know whether Dion Fanning answered those questions that were posted on the Irish Kop site? I see from his twitter account that he got a bit of stick over his Sunday Indo column.

Personally I though that some of his article was unfair. Seems to have come to an early judgement on Rodgers and is picking and choosing his 'facts' to suit his argument.

A lot of that on here as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement