Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Government Pushes Tourist Ban In Cannabis Coffeeshops

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Posted by AmandaPelliciari on November 18, 2010
    Coffeeshop.jpgIf you’d like to experience Amsterdam’s famous coffee shops, I suggest booking your flight soon. From Reuters:
    The Dutch government said on Wednesday it wanted to ban tourists from buying cannabis in “coffee shops,” where hash is on sale legally, as part of a national crackdown on drug use.
    The government, which took office last month, has agreed to limit the sale of cannabis to Dutch residents to curb crime linked to its production and trading.
    The Netherlands has one of Europe’s most liberal soft drug policies and its coffee shops are a popular tourist attraction, especially in Amsterdam and border cities near Belgium and Germany.
    But some cities near the border with Belgium have clamped down on drug tourism, and the Dutch minister for security and justice confirmed Wednesday a wider crackdown after coalition parties agreed to push for a ban in September.

Continues at Reuters]:p:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

clearly they want to kill the tourisim trade

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Never mind the pot what about the whores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Maybe they want the place to be less seedy and attractive to freak shows. I haven't been but from what a few peopel have told me it's a nice city with a bit too many freak shows in one area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

you get lost very easy in those narrow streets.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

Saw this on the news a few weeks back. They've been threatening it for years, they want Amsterdam to be noted as a beautiful historic city with fine buildings etc not just a party city where you can get mashed and have some sexy time with a prostitute.

I live in Eindhoven and I have been to Amsterdam a few times (not for the hookers or the weed) and yes it is a beautiful city but I think banning all this stuff is ridiculous and will cause more crime as the trade will go underground.

I cycle by a koffee shop every day to and from work, just ordinary men and woman relaxing after a hard days work I can't see the crime their talking about around these coffee shops.

Have no interest in cannabis at all but fully support it being legal. Making it illegal just drives it underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

DERICKOO wrote: »

The government have been threatening to close/ban tourists from the coffee-shops for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's to stop the residents to buy and sell on street corners?
    I'm tired of getting chased by pushers every time I'm over.
    "Wanna buy hashish/cocaine/heroine?"

Now I understand the sentiment but don't think it'll help much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

clearly they want to kill the tourisim trade

That's not true in the slightest. There are plenty of people who would like to visit for reasons other then drug use who may be put off by it.

I can't blame them, people who go to Amsterdam for no other reason then to get stoned are normally twats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

biko wrote: »
    What's to stop the residents to buy and sell on street corners?
    I'm tired of getting chased by pushers every time I'm over.
    "Wanna buy hashish/cocaine/heroine?"

Now I understand the sentiment but don't think it'll help much.

Well that would be just as illegal as it is in Dublin. It can only be sold and used inside the shops afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

fontanalis wrote: »
    Maybe they want the place to be less seedy and attractive to freak shows. I haven't been but from what a few peopel have told me it's a nice city with a bit too many freak shows in one area.

The ''freakshows'' is what makes Amsterdam a great place.

I worked there for some time - the most liberal place I've been and as a Libertarian, I felt right at home.

Long live true liberty - brings a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Orange69 wrote: »
    The government have been threatening to close/ban tourists from the coffee-shops for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't worry about it.

indeed they have and its all crap. Unitl they ban it outright or we get them out of the EU by collapsing the whole thing, they cant differentiate between eu citizens under EU law. so if they sell it to dutch pople they have to sell it to brits, french, and so on

Advertisement