Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Sorry But This Is Ridiculous

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

What the hell is the world (ok Americans really) coming too. Just how stupid can things get:
    A robot met its end near Coors Field on Wednesday night when the Denver Police Department Bomb Squad detonated the "suspicious object," bringing to an end the hours-long standoff between police and the approximately 8-inch-tall figurine.

Denver police spokesman Matt Murray said a citizen called police at 3:27 p.m. to report the presence of the plastic, white, toy robot, cemented to the base of a pillar supporting a footbridge near 20th and Wazee streets. Police closed 20th Street between Blake Street and Chestnut Place but did let a few people past the police tape to retrieve cars parked in nearby lots.

Nobody was allowed within about 100 yards of the robot.

"Are you serious?" asked Denver resident Justin Kent, 26, when police stopped him from proceeding down 20th Street. Kent said he lived just past the closed area but was told he would have to go around via Park Avenue.

"I can't believe it. This is ridiculous," Kent said.

Traffic piled up at adjacent intersections as rush-hour commuters were forced to detour around the closure.

Some pedestrians, unable to reach their vehicles at a lot adjacent to the robot, decided to wait it out at a bar on 20th Street, asking uniformed officers to let them know when the road reopened.

A bomb-squad robot was sent to examine the troublesome robot. Then a bomb- squad officer, dressed in heavy protective gear, took a turn.

Murray said the bomb squad couldn't be sure whether the robot was safe, so the squad remotely detonated it about 5:30 p.m. to "render it safe." The robot exploded into several chunks.

"It was cemented in. That's odd," Murray said.

Murray said suspicious objects do not automatically warrant a call to the bomb squad if patrol officers are able to determine there is no threat. He said the robot was strange enough to warrant precautionary measures. In the end, it proved harmless.

"A whole lot of nothing," Murray said.

Police reopened 20th Street after they finished cleaning up the remains of the robot.

Murray said police have no leads on who put the robot there or why they did it.

Read more: 8-inch robot brings out bomb squad, wreaks rush-hour havoc - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16755220?source=rss#ixzz172gJxXyq
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16755220?source=rss

I honestly do worry about the direction society is heading in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Murray said police have no leads on who put the robot there or why they did it.

damn battery powered robots if only it was still plugged in they'd have plenty of leads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A bomb-squad robot was sent to examine the troublesome robot.

I would love to have heard that conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Ridiculous. It's even spelt right in your article. C-.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

seems like the ideal way to deal with Street Art, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

American's doing something stupid and over the top......thats a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why didn't the cops just shoot it, that's what they normally do right? Or was it not a black robot:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

In the article that robot looks like its photoshoped into the picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

the dail is looking might suspicious these days, can we blow it up?? you know for safety reasons and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In this day and age I'd agree with the cops....

.....could've been a Terminator or a Decpeticon for all we know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ridiculous. It's even spelt right in your article. C-.

Silly me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I wonder who did it? and why?

Seems like an over reaction by the police..... then again it could be someone testing police response times and protocols...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Looks like the terrorists have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep the people on their toes. Works every time.

Edit, Oh I forgot: Nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven, nine eleven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    I wonder who did it? and why?

Seems like an over reaction by the police..... then again it could be someone testing police response times and protocols...

It's. a. toy.

:|

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Somebody took the time to mix cement and stick the robot in that position....

Practical joke probably.... but it's not something you do without thinking or by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Those silly Americans don't know how to live in fear.

I don't remember the Bomb squad being called out here or up in the North everytime they found a suspicious 8 inch tall robot. And we've had a fúck load more bombs to deal with. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

didn't something similar happen recently with a childs toy left 'suspiciously' near a school???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

why didn't the cops just shoot it, that's what they normally do right? Or was it not a black robot:confused:
    Denver police spokesman Matt Murray said a citizen called police at 3:27 p.m. to report the presence of the plastic, white, toy robot, cemented to the base of a pillar supporting a footbridge near 20th and Wazee streets.

:)

Johnny Five is Ali -- oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Johnny Five is Ali -- oh.

You bastard, you just beat me to an hilarious post!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Some pedestrians, unable to reach their vehicles at a lot adjacent to the robot, decided to wait it out at a bar on 20th Street, asking uniformed officers to let them know when the road reopened.

i think thats the smartest thing any of them did. its what i would have done anyway. but i would have asked the cops to call me when they were about to blow it up so i could laugh at their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBF to the cops what would have happened if it did turn out to be a bomb? Wouldn't be so ridiculous then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBF to the cops what would have happened if it did turn out to be a bomb? Wouldn't be so ridiculous then.

Just about to say that.
    ETA is known to attaching tripwires to innocent objects.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Just about to say that.
    ETA is known to attaching tripwires to innocent objects.

Street smarts- do you have any? What about common sense too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Somebody took the time to mix cement and stick the robot in that position....

Practical joke probably.... but it's not something you do without thinking or by accident.

No really, I am certain this was a "street artist". this is the kind of crap they do. Find random ****e, glue it one or two places in town, then stand around the Bernard Shaw with each other talking about their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Are you saying that it wasn't a possibility? That the poilce should have fobbed it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nothing to do with street smarts or common sense at all.

it might look innocent but it could potentially be dangerous. Street smarts doesn't come into it.

Again I'm not saying it wasn't an overreaction but lets keep perspective here.

Are you saying that it wasn't a possibility? That the poilce should have fobbed it off?

I think there has to be a certain level of cop on. While it COULD have been possible it was always likely not to be a bomb- which was the case.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the cops were in the right here. As previously stated, ETA and under terrorist organisations have been known to use innocent looking objects. I believe that some actually used children's toys and left them around villages?

Advertisement