Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fat blues band

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Ok, I'm 40 and probably having a mid life crisis. I started playing guitar when I was a teenager but dropped it again and again for college, sports etc....anyway over the past few years I've had time to take it up again and now I play ok and would really like to get together with other musicians to jam and maybe get something together, maybe a middle aged fat blues band..........although I'm not fat :-)
    I like to play rock and blues/rock, especially upbeat dirty blues like Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa etc., all the classic rock stuff too, and a little metal...Iron Maiden, Metallica.
    Any takers????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mlpower123

Hi, I might be interested. Similar profile to you except I'm probably fatter !

Age 44, into classic rock etc. Also dropped the guitar for years to raise kids etc etc but have resumed with gusto in the last couple of years.

I'm interested in trying to start a band (for recreation really).

Based in Dublin. Drop me a line if you want to meet / talk.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

P.M. sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I'd be interested in this if you're talking blues and blues/rock jams...

Got a drummer/bassist yet?

I'm 31 and play guitar (16 years +) and sing a little...

Influences - Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Peter Green to name but a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kimnjess

Hey Keyzer, Rigsby plays bass and might be interested, no drummers yet, where you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1952

howya am interested where are you based.

• Advertisement

howya michae please can you tell me have you giged with any bands and are you based in or near dublin.

I'm in Balbriggan, what do you play?

kimnjess wrote: »
    Hey Keyzer, Rigsby plays bass and might be interested, no drummers yet, where you living?

D15...

Any auld drummers?????

I gigged with bands 20 - 25 years ago but not since !

• Advertisement

Got your PM - sounds good.

Where can we get together that might suit everyone (I'm open to suggestions)?

What do we have so far in terms of instruments covered?

Guitar - kimnjess
    Guitar - Keyzer
    Bass - Rigsby (confirmed ???)
    Drummer - ?

mlpower123 also plays guitar, Rigsby is interested too, I don't know if 1952 is a drummer, no drummers otherwise.

A plethora of guitarists so far with no bass or drums...

Bass and drums are the backbone of any good setup, without them we'd be wasting our time...

Rigsby plays bass. Finding drummers seems to be a common complaint on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mixd_98

Hey, am a 31 y/o drummer, based in South Dublin. Would be interested. PM if you want to chat, cheers M

Bingo - we have a drummer.

Now all we need is a bass player - anyone got a bass guitar?

We could alternate playing bass...

PM sent to mixd

Ok it looks like we have enough interested people here to have a jam anyway. Mixd has used a rehearsal room in Clanbrassil St., I would be ok with this if everyone is http://www.rehearsal-room.com/index.php. Any suggestions for a few songs?? I was thinking something like Thrill is gone - BB King, which is a nice one to jam to in Bm, or La Grange - ZZ Top.
    I suppose about 4 songs would be enough.
    Any suggestions on a day and time?? I can make most evenings and weekends with a bit of notice.

Any suggestions on a day and time?? I can make most evenings and weekends with a bit of notice.

Let me know what you come up with. Apart from next week, Monday evenings are good with me, and with a bit of notice I can be fairly flexable.

yea can be there almost any time let me know whats happening about equipment and the likes. a friend of mine sings with a well known blues band would any body mind if he could make it.

• Advertisement

After some thought I'm going to pass on this. Only because its heading much more towards blues than more rock / classic rock. Nothing wrong with that but my blues capabilities are a bit limited. I'm one of those guys who has to work out a tune and practice it to get it right. I play it well after that but blues jamming is a bet better than I am. Best of luck with it lads.

1952 what instrument do you play??

Superb stuff - looks like we have a pretty good line up.

How about next Monday evening, Feb 2nd.

As far as I know that rehearsal room place needs to be booked in advance.
    They have 2 guitar amps, one bass amp and a basic PA system.
    Drummer will have to bring his own snare and cymbals...

We can do some really simple stuff to begin with just to find our feet...

Suggestions:
    If You Be My Baby - Fleetwood Mac
    Crossroads (Slow Version) - Derek And The Dominos
    Have you Ever Loved A Woman - Derek And The Dominos

All basic 12 bar blues which we can jam out to the nth degree...

Hey Keyzer, check Rigsby's post above, I don't think he's available next Monday. What about Tuesday or Thursday??

Hey Keyzer, check Rigsby's post above, I don't think he's available next Monday. What about Tuesday or Thursday??

What about Feb 9th?

Would give us time to settle on four songs and practise them at home before trying them out...

Keyzer wrote: »
    What about Feb 9th?

Would give us time to settle on four songs and practise them at home before trying them out...

Feb 9th is fine with me. :)

BTW, there was a blues singer posting in the "Blues" forum looking for a band. I directed him here. Looks like he has n't responded yet.

1952 wrote: »
    a friend of mine sings with a well known blues band would any body mind if he could make it.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

I agree the more the merrier and I'm ok for the 9th, what about you Mixd? That will give us bass, drums, guitar. Anyone else wanna suggest any tunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sax

Hey, am a 42 y/o saxophonist (alto, soprano), based in Swords. Would be interested. Marek

• Advertisement

sax wrote: »
    Hey, am a 42 y/o saxophonist (alto, soprano), based in Swords. Would be interested. Contact: 0868154640 Marek

Superb....

Having a sax player would add a new dimension to the group.

Now I'm thinking of some stuff from the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton album - there's a couple of tunes on that album with Sax...

I'm really looking forward to this...

Advertisement