Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus options, Dublin-Kerry

Options
  • 14-02-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Apart from BE and IE, are there any other transport options (apart from flying) to county Kerry from Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

murphaph wrote:
    Hi all,
    Apart from BE and IE, are there any other transport options (apart from flying) to county Kerry from Dublin?

Yeah get a taxi, drive yourself, walk or cycle. I am only messing. But I think they are the only ways of getting to Kerry from Dublin, would be by bus or by train. Might be cheaper going by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There is certainly no regular service from anyone else.

Bus Eireann are frequent and cheap (€10 each way this month) but it is 6 hours to Tralee or Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

John R wrote:
    There is certainly no regular service from anyone else.

Bus Eireann are frequent and cheap (€10 each way this month) but it is 6 hours to Tralee or Killarney.
    6 hours? Jesus wept, does it go via Galway or something :eek:

I presume those services are at least direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

usually a change/stop at limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Its a 6 hour trip and I have done Killarney / Dublin one Sunday morning in Aug 2000 during the ILDA strike on IE. You have to change bus in Limerick.

Fastest train service Dublin / Killarney: 3 hours 10 mins.
    Slowest train service Dublin / Killarney: 3 hours 35 mins.
    Fastest train service Killarney / Dublin: 3 hours 08 mins.
    Slowest train service Killarney / Dublin: 3 hours 49 mins.

Compared to the bus I would take the train every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

enterprise wrote:
    Its a 6 hour trip and I have done Killarney / Dublin one Sunday morning in Aug 2000 during the ILDA strike on IE. You have to change bus in Limerick.

Fastest train service Dublin / Killarney: 3 hours 10 mins.
    Slowest train service Dublin / Killarney: 3 hours 35 mins.
    Fastest train service Killarney / Dublin: 3 hours 08 mins.
    Slowest train service Killarney / Dublin: 3 hours 49 mins.

Compared to the bus I would take the train every time!

Is there a pit stop in Borris in Ossary as well. Think I heard about that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

there is a substantial price difference though between bus and train.
    if you are lucky you might be able to get an aer arann flight for near enough to the same as a train ticket.

narommy wrote:
    Is there a pit stop in Borris in Ossary as well. Think I heard about that as well

There is. 25 mins I think.
    dmeehan wrote:
    there is a substantial price difference though between bus and train.
    if you are lucky you might be able to get an aer arann flight for near enough to the same as a train ticket.

True but that all depends where in Dublin you are coming from. I wouldn't use the plane bascially due to all the hassle at Dublin airport with security, queues, check in time and travelling time from Kerry airport to where Im going in Kerry. For the train I can book my ticket on-line, arrive at Heuston 10 mins before the train goes and take my seat and have a nice relaxing journey plus im only a few mins drive from where I need to go once im off the train in Kerry.

A hassle free journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was sure I'd seen buses leave Dublin with 'Tralee' on them. Guess I must have been deaming. I think the train is a better option than the plane cos Farranfore is in the middle of nowhere and you have to get a bus or whatever to a town from there anyway. It's not for me, a friend of mine living abroad is coming to Ireland and needs to get to Kerry (not sure which part yet), the flights are arriving into Dublin-they're already booked.

Well if he is flying into Dublin airport he is prob better off transferring to an Aer Arran flight for Kerry. Where is he going to in Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    It's not for me, a friend of mine living abroad is coming to Ireland and needs to get to Kerry (not sure which part yet), the flights are arriving into Dublin-they're already booked.
    Can they change the flight to Kerry / Cork / Shannon?

Advertisement