Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young Driver Car insurance

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Looking for the best value car insurance for a young driver. Sorry for sounding like every young driver on this looking for insurance.

18, 19 in October

Full licence 1 year

2 year in December named driver experience on a 2008 1.9 Octavia which i will still be insured on until December with the car i get.

No claims, points etc.

Looking to get insured on a 1.4 VVTI 2000-2002 corolla hatchback/saloon

Need the best value car insurance as I have to drive a long distance to college in September (Not that i would tell them that, "just going to the shop for milk at the weekends when mammys car isn't there"). I know that you just have to shop around but just incase I'm missing any companies that could be cheaper than other. I was looking a few months ago at the start of the summer and i was getting quotes for about 1500/1700 third party, fire/theft. Now I'm getting ridiculous quotes like 3500/ 5000. Could somebody please help me out. Not sure what I'm going to do if i cant get reasonable car insurance.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You just need to ring everywhere, there's no one place that can get you the cheapest quote. The higher quotes are probably because of this new nonsense of companies hiking up policies on older cars now. You'll also need to find places that take the named driver experience into account, some places give a discount for this, others dont.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fiachrag wrote: »
    Looking for the best value car insurance for a young driver. Sorry for sounding like every young driver on this looking for insurance.

18, 19 in October

Full licence 1 year

2 year in December named driver experience on a 2008 1.9 Octavia which i will still be insured on until December with the car i get.

No claims, points etc.

Looking to get insured on a 1.4 VVTI 2000-2002 corolla hatchback/saloon

Need the best value car insurance as I have to drive a long distance to college in September (Not that i would tell them that, "just going to the shop for milk at the weekends when mammys car isn't there"). I know that you just have to shop around but just incase I'm missing any companies that could be cheaper than other. I was looking a few months ago at the start of the summer and i was getting quotes for about 1500/1700 third party, fire/theft. Now I'm getting ridiculous quotes like 3500/ 5000. Could somebody please help me out. Not sure what I'm going to do if i cant get reasonable car insurance.

Thank You.

There are tens of threads on here about this if you do a search you'll find everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fiachrag

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    You just need to ring everywhere, there's no one place that can get you the cheapest quote. The higher quotes are probably because of this new nonsense of companies hiking up policies on older cars now. You'll also need to find places that take the named driver experience into account, some places give a discount for this, others dont.

Do you think i will have a problem getting insured on an older car? Are some companies more expectable of older cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Owners of cars more than 15 years old are currently being burned alive by insurers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

fiachrag wrote: »
    (Not that i would tell them that, "just going to the shop for milk at the weekends when mammys car isn't there").

Seriously, don't take that approach. If you are spending the majority of the time at a different address for college during the week, tell them. If you are just doing a long daily commute from home to college, it shouldn't be a problem in the 1st place.

When getting quotes, be totally honest and take the best on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fiachrag

Best quote i have found now is 2100. Is this the best I'm going to get? Have only talked to one company (cover in a click and this is what they quoted me). They also said if i was to wait until December and completed my 2 years named it would be 1600. Also they said the waiting till 19 wouldnt make a difference,

Advertisement