Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Im happy if we're showing that kind of ambition....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

5starpool wrote: »
    As much chance of me signing for Liverpool as Falcao.

What position do you play?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As much chance of me signing for Liverpool as Falcao.

So, maybe it wasn't us fans that were delusional after all. It was the club itself all along... Something to think about

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

@EzizAllamov: Liverpool are amongst the clubs interested in Radamel Falcao of Atlético de Madrid. [via AS] #LFC

Oooooooo

Jaysus can ya imagine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

So a friend of a friend who works at Anfield told me to put money on Rijkaard as next manager. Believe what you may anyway but what are peoples opinions on Rijkaard; have not seen him mentioned a lot. I think he is managing in Saudi now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The others being Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan, Chelsea, Manchester City etc! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

darkskol wrote: »
    So a friend of a friend who works at Anfield told me to put money on Rijkaard as next manager. Believe what you may anyway but what are peoples opinions on Rijkaard; have not seen him mentioned a lot. I think he is managing in Saudi now?

I doubt anyone bar the owners and Ayre have an idea who they want and it still doesn't look like they even know.

Unless your friend of a friend is the coffee table in the room they're doing the interviews in I'd hold off on backing the house on Rijkaard for the moment.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Heard that one myself tonight. I'll hang on to my money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gbear wrote: »
    I doubt anyone bar the owners and Ayre have an idea who they want and it still doesn't look like they even know.

I think you'll find ilovelamp also knows. The rest of us plebs are to find out by Wednesday apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

We'll be linked with every manager but end up with Martinez....

and linked with every player but end up with Holt

http://2funny4you.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/disgusted-meme.png

You might want to read this from an English Welsh coach in Germany talking about the role of technical director in football.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/21/lee-congerton-interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I dont think anbody outside of boardroom level knows what is going to happen, or indeed who the want.

So far today Ive seen;
    Someone claiming that the players and Kenny reckon FSG want Rodgers,

Someone else claiming that Martinez has a second interview on Thursday,

The above re Rijkaard,

The Mirror are claiming its between Rafa and Martinez

And AVB and Capello are allegedly still in the reckoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Morzadec wrote: »
    Spent one year there over 10 years ago. It's certainly possible he wouldn't have a grasp of the language in that time, and would have lost most of it if he had not kept it up. Tevez still can barely speak English apparently!

Not sure what Frenchman of his generation are like at English, but I know Spaniards of his age for the large part tend to be awful and I suspect it's the same in France.

I imagine Deschamps probably has enough to get by though, seems like a clever sort who would make the effort! And the year in England may have helped.

I imagine he's on the shortlist. Another potentially risky one though

He speaks French, English, and Italian it seems. He was able to speak english before he moved to Chelsea as he has been interviewed in english whilst in the French national team.

The Telegraph had an article today about how he is high on Chelsea's list for a new manager as well as Roman wants an english speaking manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Currently jobless after getting the sack by the Saudis!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

@EzizAllamov: Liverpool are amongst the clubs interested in Radamel Falcao of Atlético de Madrid. [via AS] #LFC

Oooooooo

Weird, spent about 5 minutes today explaining why we have no chance of signing Falcao to an Atleti fan worried that he will leave, and who mentioned Liverpool as a possible destination.

Have to tell myself again to stop getting my hopes up.

He would be unbelievably perfect for us. If we spunked the whole budget on him I think it would be enough to get top 4, certainly enough to challenge right to the end.

But it's never going to happen. Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No chance of us getting Falcao. He cost them €40 million last summer not including add ons, and he finished his first season in Spain with 36 goals from 50 games. Even if they would consider selling him it would take crazy money to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I dont think anbody outside of boardroom level knows what is going to happen, or indeed who the want.

So far today Ive seen;
    Someone claiming that the players and Kenny reckon FSG want Rodgers,

Someone else claiming that Martinez has a second interview on Thursday,

The above re Rijkaard,

The Mirror are claiming its between Rafa and Martinez

And AVB and Capello are allegedly still in the reckoning

And to confuse us even more, Michael Laudrup has come into 3rd favourite at a relatively short 5/1 on Sky Bet :pac:

Who knows what will happen? If I had to put money on it I'd say AVB but my guess is as good as the next guy's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

And to confuse us even more, Michael Laudrup has come into 3rd favourite at a relatively short 5/1 on Sky Bet :pac:

Who knows what will happen? If I had to put money on it I'd say AVB but my guess is as good as the next guy's

Its crazy, I would love Rafa but I reckon its between AVB and Martinez with the Spaniard getting the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think you'll find ilovelamp also knows. The rest of us plebs are to find out by Wednesday apparently.

Almost spat my water onto my laptop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What position do you play?

I'm a deadeye striker, but lack mobility. I also can fill in at full back if needed. Signing me would make headlines, but perhaps not for the right reason since I'd be the oldest player at the club, have dodgy ankles, and 'lack mobility'.
    Mr Alan wrote: »

Also, don't forget Paully D. He has exclusive information from time to time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd nearly rather we brought him out of retirement to replace Adam.
    Also, don't forget Paully D. He has exclusive information from time to time as well.

Still waiting on his Henderson insight. Apparently he's gay. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I'd say he's too old to match FSG criteria no?

Criteria seems flexible enough, they want a young manager unless it's Capello, a championship winner unless it's Martinez. I have won the league, and a couple of cups and also brought Cavani, Llorente, Vidal, Hummels, and Matinez in over the last few seasons in FIFA 12....I am expecting a call over the next few days myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yes, explains why he's apparently behind Martinez and Villas-Boas in the pecking order

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Where have these criteria been laid out?

I know I have seen people specify in the past that the preference is for younger players, the "moneyball" process etc.

But how has this suddenly transferred to managers?

Are people making things up again or regurgitating nonsense? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jesus, I'd just love a manager who gets the team to win a straight run of games, even if they've one foot in the grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was thinking earlier when asked who would i like to see us sign, after the manager has been signed in August that is.

Only struck me now - is Affelay still sitting around at Barca?

He's the type of player we could do with imo and potentially gotten on the cheap.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He was supposed to join us 25 years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Looks like Joe Cole hinting at a stay
    ‘There is still a part of me that would really love to make it work there and I don’t want to have a bad spell at Anfield on my CV. But it is out of my hands now. At the minute I can’t rule anything in or out. We have got to speak to Liverpool and see what happens there.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147768/Joe-Cole-wants-return-Liverpool.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

delw wrote: »
    ‘There is still a part of me that would really love to make it work there and I don’t want to have a bad spell at Anfield on my CV. But it is out of my hands now. At the minute I can’t rule anything in or out. We have got to speak to Liverpool and see what happens there.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147768/Joe-Cole-wants-return-Liverpool.html

F*ck off.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

spockety wrote: »
    Where have these criteria been laid out?

I know I have seen people specify in the past that the preference is for younger players, the "moneyball" process etc.

But how has this suddenly transferred to managers?

Are people making things up again or regurgitating nonsense? :rolleyes:

I suppose your right but just from our general approach to this issue older managers don't seem to be getting much consideration.

K-9 wrote: »
    F*ck off.
    :D Sorry for posting it K-9

Really can't see that happening at all, West Ham or QPR

Really can't see that happening at all, West Ham or QPR
    No doubt just trying to keep his nice massive wage package

:D Sorry for posting it K-9

I'd say the only person who wants Cole back is Stuart Downing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say the only person who wants Cole back is Stuart Downing.

At least then he'll have his buddy to sit at the back of the class and huff glue with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think people are taking a lot of things for granted based on rumour.

The reason we know about Martinez is Dave Whelan. The only other candidates I've heard of for sure are the ones mentioned by Ayre and the one's who've confirmed that they won't be taking the job.

Now people are talking about there being a 'pecking order', how Capello is too old for FSG, how Rafa isn't on the list etc. What's worse, some people are judging FSG for this, and see casting a wide net and taking their time as sticks to beat them with. The likes of Lambert haven't been mentioned on here in ages despite being as likely a target, on paper at least, as Martinez or Rodgers, seemingly because there is little press about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The issue for alot of people i know is not really who the next manager is strangely enough. Its that, if its to be believed that Kenny was to be removed for a while, there doesnt seem to be much of a plan in place, in fact it seems rather more like a scatter gun approach, basically a carpet bombing with no real target, where anyone and everyone is getting approached. The plan that was in place has been ripped up and people want to know what the fk and who the fk are making decisions regarding on the pitch.

For me, its a glass half empty outlook so far. I see no leadership from within, no 'voice' this side of the pond with any authority either.

Edit.........just on Martinez, people who point to him as a man with no money to spend so if he spends now it will be 'moneyball'. Two words, Mauro Boselli. 6.5mil, 1 goal, voted worst ever player at Wigan or something like that by the fans. Just sayin like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

daithijj is on the money here with his criticisms of the structure. Ian Ayre has not impressed, and the spate of firings across the company is indicative of things being very wrong since they took over in October 2010. Now, you could be positive and say that they are trying to fix things - but there is a lack of solidity right now as they go about making a hiring decision that may define our next decade or more...

I'm concerned.

That said, there is little point in chewing over the half baked speculation doing the rounds about who is favourite / who is shortlisted / who has an interview / what the over arching criteria is / blah, blah. The eventual announcement will make a few things clear and will leave us with plenty to chew over. Additionally, you can probably bet that somewhat reliable guesses / whispers will emerge after the new man is appointed about why others were discounted in his stead.

Until we have an announcement it's all noise basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

From the Indo..... nothing new really but stilll....

FABIO Capello is emerging as an increasingly serious contender to become the next manager of Liverpool.

Liverpool interviewed Wigan Athletic’s Roberto Martinez on Sunday and are working their way through a long-list of potential candidates but the possibility of trying to employ Capello is being discussed with increased seriousness.

Despite his denial, before Saturday’s Champions League final, that he had been in contact with Chelsea, Capello’s camp have made it clear that he would be interested in the Stamford Bridge job and he has been pushing to be approached.

The 65 year-old Italian is not, at present, a serious candidate for Chelsea and also has two extremely lucrative offers on the table to coach in the Middle East — one to become the head coach of the United Arab Emirates national team and another to work in Qatar – but has also stated he would like to work in England.

He closely followed whether Harry Redknapp would succeed him as manager of England in case a vacancy arose at Tottenham Hotspur and while Capello’s preference would be to work in London, he would give serious consideration should Liverpool make an approach.

However, he would also be very expensive and although Liverpool are unlikely to want to match his wage demands, and the scale of transfer budget he would require, talks could still take place in the hope of persuading him to accept the job on a shorter-term, two-year contract.

There is real concern that with no chief executive and no sporting director, there is a lack of real leadership at Liverpool, and a strong character such as Capello might steady matters.

Liverpool have confirmed that Capello is on their list of candidates in what is becoming an increasingly chaotic recruitment process to succeed Kenny Dalglish, who was sacked last week.

Former Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas would appear to be the outstanding candidate but at the Portuguese Cup final on Sunday between his former club Academica and Sporting, he told local broadcasters: “I’m still choosing the right project and that decision will take the necessary time.”

Villas-Boas knows that, after his bruising experience at Chelsea, his next move is crucial and has to work.

It would appear that Liverpool’s owners, the Fenway Sports Group, are unsure of the type of manager they want to employ given their varied list of targets and the number of potential candidates who are ruling themselves out. The latest of those, to add to Swansea City’s Brendan Rodgers and Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp, was Frank de Boer, who has won two successive league titles with Ajax.

“I am honoured by the request [from Liverpool] but I have only just started with Ajax,” he told the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. “In Amsterdam, we are on a new path and I, along with Wim Jonk and Dennis Bergkamp – my colleagues on the technical side – want to bring success. That’s why I will stay loyal to Ajax in the coming years.”

There is little hope of securing Pep Guardiola, who was also on Liverpool’s original eight-strong short-list which has grown and shortened in recent days.

Martinez was granted permission to speak to Liverpool last week with Wigan owner Dave Whelan going public with the request. The 38 year-old met Liverpool officials and then flew to Spain before, yesterday, heading off on a holiday to Barbados. Although the Spaniard is admired by the club, the lack of support for him among the supporters may be key in him not getting the job.

It is also thought that, despite the high-profile nature of his involvement in the process so far, Martinez does not feel he will be chosen.

Other candidates keep emerging — and some then disappearing — in the hunt for Liverpool’s new manager.

Louis Van Gaal is also strongly interested and the former Barcelona coach — who has recently left both Ajax and Bayern Munich in difficult circumstances — would be a similarly strong and didactic character to Capello and, again, would not appear to fit the apparent job brief of a younger coach.

Bert Van Marwijk, the coach of Holland who has previously been in charge of Borussia Dortmund and Feyenoord, is also continuing to be mentioned while the Liverpool owners admire Marseille coach Didier Deschamps, having interviewed him previously.

Another intriguing name to havesurfaced is that of the former Tottenham Hotspur and Germany striker Jürgen Klinsmann, now the national manager of the USA, who also endured a difficult time as coach of Bayern, but was touted as a potential Liverpool manager when the club’s former American owners were in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

daithijjj wrote: »
    The issue for alot of people i know is not really who the next manager is strangely enough. Its that, if its to be believed that Kenny was to be removed for a while, there doesnt seem to be much of a plan in place, in fact it seems rather more like a scatter gun approach, basically a carpet bombing with no real target, where anyone and everyone is getting approached. The plan that was in place has been ripped up and people want to know what the fk and who the fk are making decisions regarding on the pitch.

For me, its a glass half empty outlook so far. I see no leadership from within, no 'voice' this side of the pond with any authority either.

If appointing a manager after sacking Kenny is an issue for some, how would they have felt if they'd gone behind his back and looked for a replacement say 6 weeks ago?

Who says there's no plan in place? Half the backroom staff was fired. If anything there's ample evidence of a very big plan.

Who's making the decisions? FSG are making the decisions. They've likely appointed a technical director who advised them on Kenny, with this party understandably remaining anonymous for fear of being blamed for Dalglish getting sacked. Perhaps there's an interim advisor like Dein advising, but there's no need to disclose every aspect of the search. We have Ayre over here (not the greatest person to handle it I admit) but the thing is there's not much to handle.

We'll get a manager, sort out the other positions and we can take stock then. Not before. There's no point moaning about FSG for not disclosing every detail at this point, nor is there any reason to think they're not taking the right approach, in my opinion. Until we see white smoke at Melwood and have some actual answers, and not just nonsense from big-mouth chairmen and journos looking to make copy, lets give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not nice being in limbo but I'd prefer that than to have the wrong man at the helm or for our every manouevre to be in the public eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Martinez has shortened on betfair to 7/5. Probably means not a lot though.

• Advertisement

While I would share some of the concerns, it is only a week since Kenny is gone. The DoF would be more concerning at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mike Jefferies ‏@mikejefferiesL4
    Now I have no idea other than it will be AVB or RM. That's all.

Right guys, who's taking bets!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'd be happy enough with cappello, not exactly long term planning though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement