Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get the dole lodged into my bank...

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

...instead of going to the post office every week. It's a pain in the arse as I live in the sticks. I would call them of course but it's the weekend and need to know today. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

0verblood wrote: »
    ...instead of going to the post office every week. It's a pain in the arse as I live in the sticks. I would call them of course but it's the weekend and need to know today. Thanks.

The reason they make people collect their dole in the post office is to determine who is a genuine jobseeker. So, no, you're not going to get paid directly into your bank account.

PS I used to travel to work .. drove to the bus stop, then sat on a bus for 90 minutes, followed by another 10 minute walk to work. Then I worked for 7+ hours a day, followed by the 90+ minute trek home.

THAT was a pain in the arse. You have it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's practically free money you're entitled if you agree to actively seek work.

In fairness the least you can do is go and collect it.

Not trying to sound like a dick but it's partly due to welfare fraud collections have to made in person.Which i have no problem with and anyone that finds it a problem to go to a post office and be given 200+euro's sounds suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    The reason they make people collect their dole in the post office is to determine who is a genuine jobseeker. So, no, you're not going to get paid directly into your bank account.

PS I used to travel to work .. drove to the bus stop, then sat on a bus for 90 minutes, followed by another 10 minute walk to work. Then I worked for 7+ hours a day, followed by the 90+ minute trek home.

People come on here to ask for advice, no need to make them feel bad for asking a question.

OP, you don't have to collect the money on the day it's issued, you have a few days to collect it if you can't make it to the Post Office. In fairness, Post Offices are open very reasonable hours so there's no real excuse for not being able to collect it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

tenchi-fan wrote: »

I am surprised anyone would be rude enough, or stupid enough, to tell somebody living on €200 a week that they have it easy.

That said I agree with post office collection as it prevents non-nationals who live abroad and others defrauding the state and coming back once a month to sign on etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm not sure. A friend of mine gets hers into the bank. I have asked two or three times but they said they don't do it anymore. However, if you actually do live far enough (as in you would need to drive or get a bus with no closer post office there), you may be able to explain it's costing you more money than you can afford on travel. That's really the only thing I can thing of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

dave1982 wrote: »
    Which i have no problem with and anyone that finds it a problem to go to a post office and be given 200+euro's sounds suspect.

Haha! Jesus this thread has gone downhill! First of all it's not 200+ it's 188. Second, I'm not a non-national or a fraudster, the reason I'm asking this is because getting to the post office involves bumming/begging a lift, which is embarassing as I'm a bit too old to be doing that, but it's not the end of the world. It was a simple question.

By the way, for all the miserable curmudgeons here, I've been working & paying taxes since 2004; I'm entitled to the feckin dole.

Thanks Jambo for the decent reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

The Back To Education Allowance goes straight into the back account but they stopped paying the Jobseekers in the bank due to mass fraud, including non-nationals flying in and out once a month just to sign on.

The Back To Education Allowance goes straight into the back account but they stopped paying the Jobseekers in the bank due to mass fraud, including non-nationals flying in and out once a month just to sign on.

Slightly off-topic but that's completely stupid. It still doesn't stop the massive fraud; they even did they I.D. check thing and still there is a massive fraud.

Note, what you said isn't stupid; but the idea that it's meant stop fraud is.

Side note: when I was doing a course with FÁS I got it into the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Slightly off-topic but that's completely stupid. It still doesn't stop the massive fraud; they even did they I.D. check thing and still there is a massive fraud.

Side note: when I was doing a course with FÁS I got it into the bank.

I guess they think it's not as bad if whatever social welfare they do pay out is spent in Ireland and contributing to the Irish economy, as opposed to it been spent in a different country.
    And there's fraud (tradesman claiming the dole and doing a few cash jobs) and then there's taking the piss(flying in once a month to sign on)

Of course it stops Fraud, in a lot of cases at least.

Do you not think it would be much easier to defraud the state if you only had to fly into the country once a month, rather than 5 times a month?

It also means people who are working and fraudulently claim will have to ask for time off to go sign etc.

• Advertisement

dusf wrote: »
    Of course it stops Fraud, in a lot of cases at least.

Do you not think it would be much easier to defraud the state if you only had to fly into the country once a month, rather than 5 times a month?

It also means people who are working and fraudulently claim will have to ask for time off to go sign etc.

The whole system is a mess, frankly. Think about it: they have signing on which is fine. But that was meant to stop fraud by making you show your face for an hour at most per month. Then they stopped it coming into the banks. In the last year you now have to show prove of I.D.. Which frankly, I don't have photo I.D. and the closest thing I had was safe pass card that worked. But even then, it's not that hard to forge I.D. So really it isn't working out at all.

But yeah, most of the course stuff is paid into the bank.

The whole system is a mess, frankly. Think about it: they have signing on which is fine. But that was meant to stop fraud by making you show your face for an hour at most per month. Then they stopped it coming into the banks. In the last year you now have to show prove of I.D.. Which frankly, I don't have photo I.D. and the closest thing I had was safe pass card that worked. But even then, it's not that hard to forge I.D. So really it isn't working out at all.

But yeah, most of the course stuff is paid into the bank.

I only ever show my social services card, although I was asked for a passport/driver's license once.

I guess the only way to really foolproof it would be biometric, finger scanning maybe?

I only ever show my social services card, although I was asked for a passport/driver's license once.

I guess the only way to really foolproof it would be biometric, finger scanning maybe?

I suppose that would be a good idea but so FF were more focused on reducing people on umployed that preventing fraud. We'll see what happens this term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm on a FAS work placement and they wont pay into my bank, i work (unpaid) 9-5.30 Mon-Fri, I have to get time off every week and walk about 8km round trip from work to collect JSA. I've proof i'm working here i've had fas visit me and all, surely if i can clearly prove i'm not committing fraud they could be a bit more accommodating, especially as hearing other peoples stories they are the only welfare office i know of who wont do it, if i changed offices i could get it in my bank, madness.

i know if i'm not being paid they should let me off to collect it blah blah blah but its just a bit of a pain tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If you were on the old system where it was lodged into your a/c, and still are on it then you'll still get it lodged.
    They changed it for people newly signing on though some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I understand where the origional poster is coming from. It can be hard to beg for lifts to get your dole, and also being interrogated by the postmaster with his constant questions about did I find a job yet etc?

Last friday he said that he had this thing were he had to have all the money facing the 1 way in their bundles, he said its like OCD and hes worried about it. I said "good for ya thats all that ya have ta worry about" then he got smart and gave me my dole in 10's and 5's, when there was bundles of 50's and 20's there.....kick a man when hes down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

If you have an AIB account they will put it into your account for you at the post office but you still have to turn up.

We'll see what happens this term.

We'll see what happens in regard to a lot this term indeed.
    Noo wrote: »
    I'm on a FAS work placement and they wont pay into my bank, i work (unpaid) 9-5.30 Mon-Fri, I have to get time off every week and walk about 8km round trip from work to collect JSA.

Surely those attending a FÁS course get paid into the bank by FÁS themselves, not JA from the Dept. of Social Welfare? If you have to get this time off as you say, can we assume others in your class do not need to get time off because they get paid into the bank? If so, why are you a special case?

rightyabe wrote: »
    I understand where the origional poster is coming from. It can be hard to beg for lifts to get your dole, and also being interrogated by the postmaster with his constant questions about did I find a job yet etc?

Last friday he said that he had this thing were he had to have all the money facing the 1 way in their bundles, he said its like OCD and hes worried about it. I said "good for ya thats all that ya have ta worry about" then he got smart and gave me my dole in 10's and 5's, when there was bundles of 50's and 20's there.....kick a man when hes down!!

Ring the GPO and complain, that's not on.

I am not sure I'd have told him 'that's all he has to worry about', but it entirely depends on your tone and demeanour when addressing him etc.

Either way he should not have given you it in 10s and 5s etc. Did you ask him to give it to you correctly, or why he could not?

Oh and if he really is interrogating you with questions in a condescending way, and not just merely asking in friendly conversation, be civil, tell him your business is your own, and you would just like your money please.
    johnfás wrote: »
    If you have an AIB account they will put it into your account for you at the post office but you still have to turn up.

The OP is trying to avoid having to go to the post office at all, instead collecting from an ATM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Surely those attending a FÁS course get paid into the bank by FÁS themselves, not JA from the Dept. of Social Welfare? If you have to get this time off as you say, can we assume others in your class do not need to get time off because they get paid into the bank? If so, why are you a special case?

Its not a course its a work placement, basically you work for free for a company (get experience in your field etc) and FAS have a deal with social welfare (dunno if deal is the right word) that you can continue to claim welfare payments. Kinda like earning your welfare while getting some experience aaaaanyways my old office offered to put it in my bank (ive since moved) and there is another fas guy working with me and he gets his to his bank and I contacted the welfare department asking about it and they said they forwarded my request to my local office, which my understanding means its not an unreasonable request if they are happy to go along with it. My office even took my bank details when i told them this but then decided that they dont want to put it in my bank afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Should be the other way around imo

New claimants should have the option of using their bank account and the long term claimants should be making the trek to the post office

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    Its not a course its a work placement, basically you work for free for a company (get experience in your field etc) and FAS have a deal with social welfare (dunno if deal is the right word) that you can continue to claim welfare payments. Kinda like earning your welfare while getting some experience aaaaanyways my old office offered to put it in my bank (ive since moved) and there is another fas guy working with me and he gets his to his bank and I contacted the welfare department asking about it and they said they forwarded my request to my local office, which my understanding means its not an unreasonable request if they are happy to go along with it. My office even took my bank details when i told them this but then decided that they dont want to put it in my bank afterall.

Ridiculous, if it's okay for one to get in the bank on this working scheme it should be okay for everyone. I understand your frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

There's absolutely no need to be rude here. Okay, signing-on procedures still do need to be enforced and instilled to eliminate fraud and identity theft etc. etc. But the point is payment via Bank ~is~ more convenient than going to a Post-Office to collect it. But there's still no need to be rude!

Tenchi-fan realistically I reckon you would agree yourself that having your income paid directly into your Bank Account is more convenient than having to go somewhere to collect it ?? Logically it makes sense! :P

I'm so sick of folk "lording it over" just because some-one who is receiving their entitled State assistance asks a question for God's sake - as is anyone's right to ask!! Likening "how good they have it," to your own hard-toil at work serves no purpose really when Statutory redundant people DON'T necessarily CHOOSE to lose their jobs ffs! It's not that they have it good at all, they didn't necessarily choose for the way to "have it" to even be changed lol, they may not have had a choice/say in the matter!!! Tenchi-fan I hope it always stays fine for ya mate 'cuz if yer ever on the other side of proceedings, ya might just realize that; -

Having the kicks or having a dig at the other person is no help whatsoever, is just plain childish, and possibly makes them feel bad / guilty when they shouldn't feel like that. So just get on with it. Oh and it costs *nothing* to be nice!
    ;)

Advertisement