Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost my job advice please

Options
  • 05-03-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

heya guys jusst looking for a bit of advice lost my job last week, (was fired for returning something i shouldnt have) anyway i have a one and a half year old son and was just looking for advice about how to claim and what id be entitled to if anything? before someone starts shouting at me to look for a job or saying it was my fault (im aware of that) this is the first time i will have ever claimed since moving here 7 years ago so just some advice please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

caspa307 wrote: »
    heya guys jusst looking for a bit of advice lost my job last week, (was fired for returning something i shouldnt have) anyway i have a one and a half year old son and was just looking for advice about how to claim and what id be entitled to if anything? before someone starts shouting at me to look for a job or saying it was my fault (im aware of that) this is the first time i will have ever claimed since moving here 7 years ago so just some advice please

Uh, I'm not able to tell you what you're entitled to right away. But I, personally, would advise you to go down to your local welfare officer. They will (hopefully at, least) be able to give you some sort of income for the meanwhile untill you get jobseekers benefit/allowance. I would think getting either the benefit (based on your credits from working, I don't have much info about that, sorry) or allowance (most people are entitled to this) would be your first step, as either of those would be some sort of income. You're more than likely entitled to a few different things, depending on how your situation is.

Also, nobody is going to shout at you here, you made a mistake, we all do, don't worry about it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Uh, I'm not able to tell you what you're entitled to right away. But I, personally, would advise you to go down to your local welfare officer. They will (hopefully at, least) be able to give you some sort of income for the meanwhile untill you get jobseekers benefit/allowance. I would think getting either the benefit (based on your credits from working, I don't have much info about that, sorry) or allowance (most people are entitled to this) would be your first step, as either of those would be some sort of income. You're more than likely entitled to a few different things, depending on how your situation is.

Also, nobody is going to shout at you here, you made a mistake, we all do, don't worry about it.:)

thanks especially the last bit im gonna go down on monday and see what they say im just wondering if i have to wait 6 months before i can actually make a claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

thanks especially the last bit im gonna go down on monday and see what they say im just wondering if i have to wait 6 months before i can actually make a claim

I'm 100% sure you do not have to "wait" to make a claim. My expierience is with Jobseekers Allowance (which is not based on your tax credits). Basically, you can make a claim if you were fired (which you were). Now, you should be able to make a claim right away once you get your P.45 (I think that's the form you get when you leave a job), you can make a claim.
    The good news is once you make a claim for JSA (Jobseekers Allowance) or JSB (Jobseekers Benefit) (you might have to be a bit pushy in the future once you start getting money from the claim), you will be backdated (you may need to be a bit... pushy about it when you start getting your cash) but in the meanwhile, you can go to the local welfare officer and ask for an income till the claim goes through. So the good news is you shouldn't be without some sort of income to survive for at the most two weeks (usually about a week).

Okay, if you got all that, since you're a single parent, you might be entitled to a lot more. But at the very least you should be given enough for yourself and your child (assuming you live alone and nobody else is working in the house). Again, I'm not 100% sure of your situation and what you can get but at the very least, you will get enough income so you and your child will be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days in order to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means, you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:

* Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    * Lost your job through misconduct
    * Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    * Are aged under 55 and get a redundancy payment of more than €50,000. The exact length of your disqualification (up to nine weeks) will in practice, depend on the precise amount of redundancy payment you received - see below.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Balagan wrote: »
    Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days in order to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means, you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:

* Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    * Lost your job through misconduct
    * Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    * Are aged under 55 and get a redundancy payment of more than €50,000. The exact length of your disqualification (up to nine weeks) will in practice, depend on the precise amount of redundancy payment you received - see below.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

yeah thats what i thought, **** it ill go down and ask about it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Also, go talk to a solicitor about unfair dismissal after you have the welfare sorted out.

Employer should have disciplinary process with written warnings and three strike system before terminating your employment. It should be written into your contract how its dealt with.

If your employer feels you made a mistake returning an item then they should have a supervisor approving all returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Tails142 wrote: »
    Also, go talk to a solicitor about unfair dismissal after you have the welfare sorted out.

Employer should have disciplinary process with written warnings and three strike system before terminating your employment. It should be written into your contract how its dealt with.

If your employer feels you made a mistake returning an item then they should have a supervisor approving all returns.

yeh i think that, unless you had a few warnings under your belt, you should look into unfair dismissal and the legalities of you being fired for,im assuming, an honest mistake.

best of luck with everything. id go to citizens information before you go to your social welfare office because in alot of cases you need to know your entitlements before you go in. alot of the time they dont volunteer the information unless you ask about a specific payment, so research your entitelments first so you dont waste your time.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

You should certainly make your claim as soon as possible. There will be a period of disqualification if you fired from your job, but will not necessarily be for 9 weeks. The deciding officer has discretion to disqualify you for between 1 and 9 weeks. But do make your claim as soon as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

Im not to sure what your circumtances is as to weather your a single parent or not, but if so, you could apply for One Parent Faimly Payment. And while your awaiting on a claim weather its OPFP or a unemployment assistance you could attend your local Community Welfare Officer and apply for a basic weekly supplement to help do you over untill your claims comes through.

The INOU (Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed) have Social Welfare infomation Officers there number is 018560088 or they have a website at www.inou.ie, there is also the welfare website for you to get information www.welfare.ie as well as citizens information www.citizensinformation.ie

Advertisement