Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's News Review of the Year - on now..NO, NO, NO, Eileen isn't the one to 'narrate'

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Pardon me, but I'm shocked, listening to RTE's News Review of the Year. God bless Eileen Dunne, she's a great newsreader, and no doubt an accomplished journalist....but on this blooming programme, she sounds like she's reading the Autocue/Script.

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

I suppose I've more than a passing interest in this - over a decade ago, I remember actually phoning RTE (okay, there might have been the odd glass of wine involved!) to congratulate them on the News Review of the Year show they put on back then. I think Colm Connolly was the narrator, but I could be wrong. It might have been wine in the past, but it's just old age now! But that show was a wonderful combination of images, words, and music...I suppose like a particularly good 'Reeling In the Years'.

But honestly, it's a pity that Eileen sounds just like she's reading the Headlines.

STILL WORTH WATCHING, though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

And another thing...why do they keep using that song by Elbow as the sound-track?

That song wasn't released in 2009. Big Brother 9 used it as their 'end song'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry to shock you but being a newsreader and not an actress she doesn't learn her lines but actually does read every line from an autocue!

Hope I haven't ruined your Christmas!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I agree, Eileen hasn't the most exciting voice ever, but she's a decent enough newsreader though. Should have picked someone else to present/ do the voiceover. Don't know who that could be though.... There are so many of the presenters that would have been a lot worse than Eileen.

Advertisement