Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs. Soarer's Need For Change

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

SWMBO has had enough of her 3GS (understandably!) ad is looking to get a new phone. She's not pushed to stay with Apple, so that opens the whole thing up. Her current phone is sim-free, and she's on the €10 per month deal with Tesco. So the new phone will have to be either sim-free or locked to them. She doesn't want to increase her monthly amount.
    Any phone she goes for will have to have a decent camera, decent battery, and not break the bank (that last part is for me! :o)

So what are our options guys and gals. I've seen threads in Bargain Alerts about the Moto G or something. Or maybe a Samsung S something? HTC? LG? Or maybe one of those Chinses yokes?

I'm years out of the game, so I've no idea of what to go for.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How much is not break the bank?

Has she any used any other OS, that she liked or disliked?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the reply Davy.

Breaking the bank would probably be over €300, but could probably be more if needs be. She's had her current phone from launch, which I bought her sim-free, so it's not like she doesn't get value out of them.
    She has no real experience of any other operating system. That being said, she'd have no problem picking one up. She's fairly technically minded to be fair. As long as it has a good screen, good battery, and good camera, she'll be happy. I'll customise it to what she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Soarer wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Davy.

Breaking the bank would probably be over €300, but could probably be more if needs be. She's had her current phone from launch, which I bought her sim-free, so it's not like she doesn't get value out of them.
    She has no real experience of any other operating system. That being said, she'd have no problem picking one up. She's fairly technically minded to be fair. As long as it has a good screen, good battery, and good camera, she'll be happy. I'll customise it to what she wants.

If she doesn't mind moving to android I would go with the 4g moto g from tesco direct.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    If she doesn't mind moving to android I would day go with the 4g moto g from tesco direct.

Is that the one they're talking about on Bargain Alerts?

Also, if it's locked to Tesco UK, can it be used on Tesco Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is that the one they're talking about on Bargain Alerts?

Also, if it's locked to Tesco UK, can it be used on Tesco Ireland?
    It's locked to Tesco, but only costs £1.69 to unlock - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111223239973?clk_rvr_id=680694670669

I have used that product/service and endorse it.

• Advertisement

You could also consider the Nexus 5 which is now available on the Google Play Store in Ireland. It's over twice the price of the Moto G at €350 though. It does have an excellent chipset and gorgeous 1080p display though. Because it's a Google device you will get updates to the OS very quickly and because it's vanilla Android, there's none of the bloatware that Samsung put onto their phones.

Thanks Francie.

That Nexus at €350 might be a bridge too far. It'd be different if she'd have her nose stuck in it from morning to night. But it'll be calls/texts/emails/camera/not having to charge it twice a day! She's not even on Facebook, even though she has mentioned signing up for that.

The 16gb Galaxy S3 is in Argos for €250 at the minute. What are those yokes like? They were obviously good when launched, but do they still stack up?

Thanks Francie.

That Nexus at €350 might be a bridge too far. It'd be different if she'd have her nose stuck in it from morning to night. But it'll be calls/texts/emails/camera/not having to charge it twice a day! She's not even on Facebook, even though she has mentioned signing up for that.

The 16gb Galaxy S3 is in Argos for €250 at the minute. What are those yokes like? They were obviously good when launched, but do they still stack up?
    Good comparison between the two here - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3496394/moto-g-vs-galaxy-s3-smartphone-comparison-review/

I would choose the Moto G. It is ever so slightly less specced, but because it runs a pure version on Android, it will feel a lot quicker than the Galaxy S3. Also, the Galaxy S3 is at the end of the line and probably won't get anymore Android updates. The Moto G on the other hand should get the next major version on Android.

Thanks again.

Tis the not great camera in the Moto that's turning me off it.She's always taking pictures of the kids and stuff, and it'd break her melt if the pictures turned out to be muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks again.

Tis the not great camera in the Moto that's turning me off it.She's always taking pictures of the kids and stuff, and it'd break her melt if the pictures turned out to be muck.

Not new at this point but for your budget the 925 seems like a good option, would have change from the €300.

The 930 would be an even better option but its €150 or so over your budget for sim free, but if you want to wait a few weeks you could get it direct from Tesco at a slightly cheaper price.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/phone/lumia930/#

• Advertisement

Ha! Was just coming on here to ask about the ibood!

I like the look of the Nokia you posted, but tbh I'd not thought of a windows machine. What's windows like when compared to ios and android? I've no experience of them, or windows 8 for that matter!

As for the ibood, to my untrained eyes it looks like a good deal. Battery doesn't seem atrocious, camera seems good, and it doesn't seem oversized even though it's a 5" screen.
    Would it be better than the Moto G and/or S3? Or maybe a secondhand S4? The S4 would probably be the pick of them yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The nexus 5 has dreadful battery life. I wouldn't go near it.

I like the look of the Nokia you posted, but tbh I'd not thought of a windows machine. What's windows like when compared to ios and android? I've no experience of them, or windows 8 for that matter!

It has good and bad points about it. A major drawback for a lot of people is app availability. It is improving all the time obviously but for it will take a bigger market share before Irish companies but effort into releasing them.

One way around this can be 'pin to start'. Using a bank as an example, to go to their mobile site in the browser, click options and pin to start. It saves the page in a app size icon for you to click anytime taking you directly to the login page. Works the same as an app more or less.

It is being updated regularly, and the 930 is quite powerful and will last if she looks after it. It would be a better for a longer term than the 925 or S3, Xperia etc. Things like the 4G and wireless charging will come in handy, tesco will be doing 4G.

Forum might be worth a browse:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1594

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I had the loan of a Nokia Windows phone a while back while my own one was being repaired. I got used to using it pretty quickly and thought it was surprisingly fast considering it was a bottom of the range model. Personally I'd never buy one for myself because of the lack of apps. It is improving though.

It's not going to be an issue for people who aren't into apps. Most of the major ones are available for Windows at this stage anyway, including Facebook. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/top-free-apps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭long_b

I'd definitely recommend a Lumia 920/925
    Best cameras for under 250 IMHO.

Thanks for all the input guys.

She decided on the Galaxy, so I was able to pick up an as new S4 locally for €280.

I'm happy and, more importantly, she's happy!

Advertisement