Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor E3131 & TP-Link 3420 V2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

What firmwave are you running?

At what point did the router identify the modem.......

router1q.jpg
    router2k.jpg
    routerl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Shane732 - I am running the most current firmware that tp-link have on there site. The only thing that you have on yours that I don't is a username and password which I left blank.

As stated earlier the router just picked up the dongle after I changed the default meteor APN to the one as you have.

Have it now set the wireless connection and current speedtest is:- http://www.speedtest.net/result/2441318708.png and this is before I have the best position for the dongle which I will be locating outside.

Anything else let me know

sorry - firmware version 3.13.27 Build 121206 Rel.60215n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

THE ALM wrote: »
    As stated earlier the router just picked up the dongle after I changed the default meteor APN to the one as you have.

You could always take the dongle out, change the APN to something thats incorrect plug the dongle back in and see if its "picked up".

I've set up a few 3220 V1's and they all picked up a compatable dongle as soon as it was plugged in so I'd be doubtfull of any difference here except maybe the router takes a bit longer to detect and set up the HiLink router?

I'm just not convinced changing the APN has anything to do with the router detecting the dongle.

In the OP's case you can see the dongle is not being detected he has the V2 firmware (both confirmed on the screen shots) so as you did I'd go for the latest update from the website which it seems from the screen shot the OP doesn't have yet.

If that still fails I'd be checking things like power suppplies - amazing how often they let you down and USB cables, other than that it should work unless the router is dodgy.

• Advertisement

Shane732 - I am running the most current firmware that tp-link have on there site. The only thing that you have on yours that I don't is a username and password which I left blank.

Have it now set the wireless connection and current speedtest is:- http://www.speedtest.net/result/2441318708.png and this is before I have the best position for the dongle which I will be locating outside.

Anything else let me know

I'm at a complete loss at to what the difference between the two is. I have the same firmware and have changed the APN to match yours yet mine is still not connecting.

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm at a complete loss at to what the difference between the two is. I have the same firmware and have changed the APN to match yours yet mine is still not connecting.

So you have downloaded and upgraded the firmware to the latest version on the TP-Link website?

The screen shots (good idea btw) show you don't have the same version as ALM.

the firmware that I have is the version dated 1012/12/6 as per TP-Link's website -http://www.tplink.com/ie/support/download/?model=TL-MR3420&version=V2#tbl_j

Don't know if the firmwares are Geo specific although I do have the TP-Link website changed to Ireland, top right corner.

Don't have the router with me today but will post screen shots later or will go through those posted to see any difference other that the firmware and the user name and password that I have left blank. I have not spent a great deal of time looking at the various settings on mine as yet so there could be some differences. As I said I just connected mine up and away she went.

Can't imagine there are any differences between the two routers as they are both version 2 although it does specifically say v2.1 on the back of mine, don't know if that is important.

Shane732 - Don't see it being asked earlier but does you Dongle work using it plugged directly into laptop etc?

eirator wrote: »
    So you have downloaded and upgraded the firmware to the latest version on the TP-Link website?

The screen shots (good idea btw) show you don't have the same version as ALM.

Yes I have updated the firmware.

• Advertisement

the firmware that I have is the version dated 1012/12/6 as per TP-Link's website -http://www.tplink.com/ie/support/download/?model=TL-MR3420&version=V2#tbl_j

Don't know if the firmwares are Geo specific although I do have the TP-Link website changed to Ireland, top right corner.

Don't have the router with me today but will post screen shots later or will go through those posted to see any difference other that the firmware and the user name and password that I have left blank. I have not spent a great deal of time looking at the various settings on mine as yet so there could be some differences. As I said I just connected mine up and away she went.

Can't imagine there are any differences between the two routers as they are both version 2 although it does specifically say v2.1 on the back of mine, don't know if that is important.

Mine also says 2.1 on the back!

Shane732 - Don't see it being asked earlier but does you Dongle work using it plugged directly into laptop etc?

Yes the dongle works perfectly when connected directly to the laptop!

AARRGGGHHH!!

I don't think it will help but just in case I wonder if you could PM THE ALM and ask him to back up his config and send you a copy?

no problem with that, will see if I can sort it this evening

no problem with that, will see if I can sort it this evening

Cheers!

here are the hardware and software versions for the dongle itself in case that is the issue: Hardware version: CH2E303SM
    Software version: 22.158.01.01.394

I have the dongle set for manual connection, network mode 3g, no username or password set in the profile management screen

not great that you still cannot get the Dongle to work even using the config file, not really sure why it will not work.

Do you know anybody else with a E3131 or would Meteor let you try another one?

On the router status screen is a line showing the signal strength which for me is always zero % although on the dongle screen I could have a full 4-5 bar signal, is there anyway of getting this field populated on the router side of things. Cannot find anything relating to it at all.

Thanks

Have been using the E3131 with 3420 router now for the last week or so and I can say that there are times when the router will not pick up the modem. Doing the usual refresh, switching of and on and unplugging it make no difference so I have been trying to figure out why it would not identify the modem. Looking at the system log I do notice that it is connecting to an LTE network which I didn't think had rolled out as yet.

I think the issue is with the strength/type of mobile signal that the dongle is receiving, i.e 2G, EDGE, H , H+. I did notice that yesterday it would not detect the modem at all most of the day when we had think fog although when it cleared last night it identified the modem no problem.

I notice shane732 that you say your dongle is flashing green three times meaning it is picking up a 2G signal which I think could be the issue.

The dongle being identified by the router has NOTHING to do with signal strength.

I've set a load of those routers up with non HiLink dongles and even at home here in my "office" where there is no 3G signal at all and no phone signal they are recognised straight away.

• Advertisement

does seem strange as I would not expect it to have any bearing on recognising the dongle although it does seem to have an affect on it. Will do a bit more troubleshooting the next time it will not identify it.

Still can't get it working! :(

After a few issues with recognising the dongle early on I have had no problems.

I have rigged up a dish type thing and container for the dongle and run this through a powered usb extender to the router and constantly get a 4-5 bar signal (still can't get the TP-Link settings screen to show a signal strength) and it hasn't dropped the connection for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bjord

Using a TP-Link 3420 V2 product (latest one that supports HSPA modems) with the E3131 dongle from Meteor.

Best thing is that I can now have loads of internal devices connected. Previously using a Hotshot which only supports 5. Because I had to put Hotshot upstairs to get decent signal, I used a Wifi Extender which took up one of five addresses. Now I can have 100 devices :)

Connected the E3131 to the router using a 3M USB cable so that I could mount the dongle up the wall at point where there is full signal.

Works very well so far. Same problem as earlier noted...cannot see signal strength in Status menu, shows as 0%. However, simply browse to 192.168.1.1, which is the E3131, and you get the normal Hi-Link menu and you can check signal strength. Browsing to 192.168.0.1 brings you to TP-Link admin menu.

Settings and versions are
    Firmware Version:3.13.27 Build 121206 Rel.60215n
    Hardware Version:MR3420 v2 00000000

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Newbie to all this but will my meteor e3131 connect with my MR3220?

Firmware Version:
    3.12.19 Build 110617 Rel.39329n

Hardware Version:
    MR3220 v1 00000000

aoife524 wrote: »
    Newbie to all this but will my meteor e3131 connect with my MR3220?

Firmware Version:
    3.12.19 Build 110617 Rel.39329n

Hardware Version:
    MR3220 v1 00000000

I am assuming you have both so therefore would recommend just trying it out. They can be a bit hit and miss so no real way of telling.

I would recommend that you upgrade to the latest firmware which is available on the tp-link website, I think there have been a couple of upgrades compared to the one you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

I am assuming you have both so therefore would recommend just trying it out. They can be a bit hit and miss so no real way of telling.

I would recommend that you upgrade to the latest firmware which is available on the tp-link website, I think there have been a couple of upgrades compared to the one you have.

Thanks for the advice :) have tried it but it didn't work so will try updating the firmware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys.

I had bought the E3131 modem at the meteor store in Blackrock for my brand new Toshiba laptop yesterday.

Can I ask anybody here is this modem compatible with the 64-bit version of windows 8.1. software as I'm having issues with it's 3G connectivity.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi again folks.

All I had to do yesterday was to replace the sim card with a new one because the old one I had before was worn out. It worked brilliantly on my new laptop since the new card was put into the modem last night.

Sim cards unfortunately do get worn out after using them for such long periods of time. It is very little hassle to get a new one in the shop now when it does happen though.

Did you get your issue fixed at all OP or is it still causing you trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i bought an O2 branded e3121 and it was picked up fine by the TP-link 3420v2(.3).
    I unlocked it, put in a Tesco sim, set the APN details on the router and dongle manually and once they matched it works perfectly too.
    So far connection has been very stable.

Advertisement