Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor E3131 & TP-Link 3420 V2

Options
  • 09-01-2013 9:17pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of a problem with my Meteor E3131 stick and the TP-Link 3420 router.

The router doesn't appear to identify the Meteor stick.

I see that some of you appear to be running the E3131 with the 3420 V2.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Do I not have to input the pin number somewhere?

The dongle flash green 3 times every so often but doesn't get beyond the identifying stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Shane732 wrote: »
    Do I not have to input the pin number somewhere?

The dongle flash green 3 times every so often but doesn't get beyond the identifying stage.
    I would normally use a phone to remove the pin code restriction on the broadband SIM

Would a pin be stopping the TP Link from identifying the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Would a pin be stopping the TP Link from identifying the modem?
    Not identifying but definitely would stop it connecting.
    Check the log on the tp link via the admin webpage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the E3131 and TP-Link. Currently using the same dongle and looking for a suitable router. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP do you have the version 2 of the TP-Link router or have you loaded the version 2 firmware?

The E3131 is another HiLink dongle (like E353) that doesn't have a com port connection available to the router unless the router has firmware that can expose the com port that is present but hidden behind the HiLink quick install system. afaik the V2 version of the TP-Link 3420 has the extra tweaks necessary to run these HiLink dongles.

further to eirator's reply. Is the V2 an actual firmware update or the actual product itself? Looking on the various site for the 3420 there is no mention of a V2

THE ALM wrote: »
    further to eirator's reply. Is the V2 an actual firmware update or the actual product itself? Looking on the various site for the 3420 there is no mention of a V2

Both afaik :confused:

I'll look a bit further into it again but I'm fairly sure there is a V2 firmware upgrade and V2 product.

OK my mistake The V1 and V2 refer to the physical firmware and the update used needs to be for the specific version of the firmware.

More info at http://www.tplink.com/ie/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3220#down and if you check the 3G USB Modem Compatibility List then the E3131 isn't on the list.

Edit> Sorry above link is for the 3220 and the OP is refering to the 3420 and the link for that is http://www.tplink.com/ie/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3420#down but again the E3131 isn't on the compatibility list.

I am guessing that the V2 adds the 4g compatibility. I see the E3131s-2 is listed as a dongle that can be used in some countries, don't know how this differs to Meteor's E3131.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get an unlocked compatible dongle as the e3131 seems to be pain to get a router to work with it. At least the router would be ready for the 4g network if and when it would be available.

• Advertisement

Sorry missed the E3131 on any of the lists, where did you spot it? Knowing that it might be possible to check if its the HiLink version thats supported and then which version Meteor are selling?

Edit> Just checked and its the HiLink version that Meteor are selling of the E3131 and its the HiLink features that are a major part of the problem here.

Seems to be the issue alright, this is why I will probably just get rid and get a different dongle, the e3131 is just to much hassle

Ok so can I assume that this dongle won't work? This is a right pain in the ass. What are the Hi-Link features?

Where can I actually buy an unlocked dongle from?

Others seem to be able to use the E3131....

Ok so can I assume that this dongle won't work? This is a right pain in the ass. What are the Hi-Link features?

Where can I actually buy an unlocked dongle from?

The HiLink features hide the old COM Port style of connection and creates an NDIS connection between the computer and the dongle. The advantage is that the computer can create an NDIS connection in a few seconds which is much faster then connecting to a USB Com port. The problem when you connect a HiLink dongle to a 3G router is that unless the router knows about HiLink dongles it tries to connect to the old style USB Com port which isn't available without a bit a programatic jiggery pokery.

Try eBay or get a cheap reconditioned old style dongle from Meteor online http://www1.meteor.ie/mobilebroadband/payg/ noticed the old E173 for a tenner and looks like free delivery can't beat that :D

It is a pain Shane. As you have the router there are a number of dongle's that will work with it and a quick google will bring up several places selling them. You could hold onto the e3131 for use when out and about, that is my plan anyway.

eirator wrote: »
    The HiLink features hide the old COM Port style of connection and creates an NDIS connection between the computer and the dongle. The advantage is that the computer can create an NDIS connection in a few seconds which is much faster then connecting to a USB Com port. The problem when you connect a HiLink dongle to a 3G router is that unless the router knows about HiLink dongles it tries to connect to the old style USB Com port which isn't available without a bit a programatic jiggery pokery.

Try eBay or get a cheap reconditioned old style dongle from Meteor online http://www1.meteor.ie/mobilebroadband/payg/ noticed the old E173 for a tenner and looks like free delivery can't beat that :D

It maxes out at 7.2 though doesn't it? I seem to be able to get a faster connection at times that 7.2.

Arghh!

The E353 is compatible isn't it?

eirator wrote: »

How difficult is the programatic jiggery pokery?

Have ordered the MR3420-V2 so will keep you posted if I can get this to work with the e3131. Don't expect to so will most likely be ordering another dongle.

Did notice going through the various threads that a hilink dongle has been paired with this router http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81940072

fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Have ordered the MR3420-V2 so will keep you posted if I can get this to work with the e3131. Don't expect to so will most likely be ordering another dongle.

Did notice going through the various threads that a hilink dongle has been paired with this router http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81940072

fingers crossed

Hope you get a V2, I noticed one reviewer on Amazon.co.uk state that he'd specifically requested a V2 and been sent the old V1 3 times in a row and reurned them :(

The site does specifically say V2 so here is hoping. Won't know until I receive it I suppose

Have received the MR3420 and does state that it is V2.1. Will le you know how I get on over the next day or two, finger crossed it will work with the E3131 and I won't need another dongle.

Have received the MR3420 and does state that it is V2.1. Will le you know how I get on over the next day or two, finger crossed it will work with the E3131 and I won't need another dongle.

Supplier?

PCMegabits.ie are the suppliers. Ordered on-line on Friday at 16:20 and got a confirmation it was dispatched at 16:55 and it arrived this afternoon, very impressed with that service.

Ok, so got the V2.1 of the MR3420 and downloaded the 2 current firmwares which I applied one after the other. Unable to test the router at home yesterday evening so brought it into work this morning to test out.

I have the router connected directly to the desktop and then the E3131 dongle connected through a 5m extender usb cable to the side usb port of the router.

Through the hi-link screen on the browser I have disabled the pin function and have manually updated the APN on the router 3G/4G setup screen. When you set the location as Ireland it does give you Meteor as an option although it does input the wrong APN automatically so this need manually updating to broadband.mymeteor.ie.

Those are the only changes that I have made and I can confirm that it connects through the dongle without any issues. I have attached the speedtest which I cannot complain about. I also carried out a speedtest on my mobile to test the wireless connection and got Ping 226ms D/L 6.31 U/L 1.45.

All in all very happy:)

Through the hi-link screen on the browser I have disabled the pin function and have manually updated the APN on the router 3G/4G setup screen. When you set the location as Ireland it does give you Meteor as an option although it does input the wrong APN automatically so this need manually updating to broadband.mymeteor.ie.

I take it you plugged the dongle into a computer to connect to it with a browser?

eirator - Just had the router connected straight to the pc and I could update the settings before connecting up the dongle

...the pin function was disabled with the dongle connected to a laptop beforehand

• Advertisement

What?!! Why doesn't it work for me?!!

Advertisement