Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Bank to limit amount banks lend for home purchase

Options

Comments

bluemartin wrote: »
    irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/nama-to-sell-hundreds-more-apartments-around-dublin-1.1971637

NAMA are making a good job in attracting foreign buyers, no doubt this practise will keep prices very high in the Dublin market.

Hundreds of apartments coming to market would surely depress prices, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No affect at all. Apts are or will be rented. Infact the sooner they sell all the better it will stop people thinking NAMA have enought property to satisfy all. Im affraid if your holding out for a cheap nama Apt move on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They selling them as blocks to investors.

I'm not at all holding out for a cheap Nama apartment.

But fair enough, I should have read the article first! They are selling them as a job lot so it's investors-only. Agreed - it'll make no odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No affect at all. Apts are or will be rented....
    I don't see it that way. If NAMA sell significant numbers of apartments that are vacant, and those apartments come on to the rental market, there will be some downward pressure on rents. That, in turn, can drive down the price of individual apartments because investors might see lower expected returns in the rental market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I don't see it that way. If NAMA sell significant numbers of apartments that are vacant, and those apartments come on to the rental market, there will be some downward pressure on rents. That, in turn, can drive down the price of individual apartments because investors might see lower expected returns in the rental market.

How many would that be in order for that to happen?
    In Dublin how many apts are left in Nama ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

They is simply too much demand more and more people are migrating to Dublin from around the world indeed and from rural Ireland. the supply will need to be increased drastically for any reduction to be seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

So for half a decade they were predicting price falls in a market that was clearly overheating. Sure that's easy, the hard part is pin pointing when it is going to happen and supplying specifics something you have a parallel with

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057157969/7

"So no, what will happen this year is a fall, cash buyers will wait it out, the fall will accelerate, cash buyers will panic and the dead cat bounce will resume its downward trajectory. Im thinking of buying mid next year at about 40% less than today,"

If it was so easy to predict a market over-heating you need to explain why Morgan Kelly was so hated, and how bulls, people who argued then like you do now, were predicting either soft landings, or "smart money getting in" about 2006-2008. The guys who predicted the bust, can hardly be expected to pin point the exact date. Thats ridiculous. They can just say "housing is overvalued historically and will revert to mean". Not getting the exact date right of a property collapse which nearly destroyed the entire economy and did destroy most all of the banks hardly makes their argument a fallacy.

A recent paper by a Trinity academic ( I will look for a link) plotted the use of the word bubble in Irish media. A bit like the Google graphs. There were 10 times as many references post 2008, than before. And some of the before references were poo-pooing the idea, of course.

And still we pretend that the bears were just lucky? And that it was obvious the market was "overheating". If you can't see 30% increases y-o-y as overheating you won't see anything as over-heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How many would that be in order for that to happen?
    In Dublin how many apts are left in Nama ?
    I haven't gone into the numbers: I'm not sufficiently interested. I did say "significant numbers" with the intention of suggesting that a few apartments here and there would not be enough to have much impact.

Some months ago I viewed an apartment. There was an adjacent block of, I would guess, about 80 units being finished under a NAMA contract. A few blocks of that scale, if they exist, could have a noticeable effect on the market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

"The seven schemes currently produce a rental income of €7.43 million" That works out to over €1000 per month per apartment. Not very many empty apartments coming on stream from this sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If it was so easy to predict a market over-heating you need to explain why Morgan Kelly was so hated, and how bulls, people who argued then like you do now, were predicting either soft landings, or "smart money getting in" about 2006-2008. The guys who predicted the bust, can hardly be expected to pin point the exact date. Thats ridiculous. They can just say "housing is overvalued historically and will revert to mean". Not getting the exact date right of a property collapse which nearly destroyed the entire economy and did destroy most all of the banks hardly makes their argument a fallacy.

A recent paper by a Trinity academic ( I will look for a link) plotted the use of the word bubble in Irish media. A bit like the Google graphs. There were 10 times as many references post 2008, than before. And some of the before references were poo-pooing the idea, of course.

And still we pretend that the bears were just lucky? And that it was obvious the market was "overheating". If you can't see 30% increases y-o-y as overheating you won't see anything as over-heating.

I'd like to see that paper, sounds fascinating.

I agree with all this but the Irish property market reminds me of the Keynes quote: "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent".

A crash at some stage was obvious from a long way out but it didn't mean buying was a bad idea, and it didn't make advice not to buy property the 'right' advice at the time.

bluemartin wrote: »
    They is simply too much demand more and more people are migrating to Dublin from around the world indeed and from rural Ireland. the supply will need to be increased drastically for any reduction to be seen

This is 2008 assumptions again. Back then the bulls pointed to more and more people migrating to Dublin from everywhere. Then that stopped. Reversed in most cases. It's a fluke of the bust ( Southern Europe being even more bankrupt than Ireland) which has caused the recent population changes.

Depending on that is it's own bubble.

I agree with all this but the Irish property market reminds me of the Keynes quote: "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent".

A crash at some stage was obvious from a long way out but it didn't mean buying was a bad idea, and it didn't make advice not to buy property the 'right' advice at the time.

Yes I suppose that's true. Not least because nobody is getting repossessed. Buying property at over inflated prices may destroy the economy but you personally will be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

On that, am I right to say that BoI doesn't give approval in principle? I applied last year and was told I had to make a concrete application on a specific house which would then go thrpugh full underwriting process

A colleague has just been approved for a mortgage from BOI. Application process took 4 weeks for him, nothing was said about picking a particular house beforehand.

Thanks MaryBea,

That's very interesting - and, for me, a tiny bit annoying because they made me pick a particular house at a specific price rather than just apply to see how much they would really offer us.

Thanks MaryBea,

That's very interesting - and, for me, a tiny bit annoying because they made me pick a particular house at a specific price rather than just apply to see how much they would really offer us.

A colleague of mine suggests that is a formality. Pick a house which is pretty expensive, and you are pre-approved for lower draw downs.

They may not be vacant. This NAMA manipulation of the market exposes the pseudo-concern of the Gombeen classes for the FTB's. Clearly putting these on the normal market would depress prices and be a far better benefit to the FTB than chasing increasing credit to increase prices in a supply deficient market , credit which they will have to pay back. They, or the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/enda-kenny-wades-into-row-over-central-banks-mortgage-cap-plans-30684117.html

Enda to the rescue...
    The Taoiseach has warned that home ownership should remain an "attainable ambition for young credit worthy families," during a speech in Dublin.

It is his first intervention into the issue of a plan to cap most home loans at 80pc of the value of a property.

He said the Government will now examine a mortgage insurance scheme. That could make house purchases easier to attain for borrowers, but put the State on the hook for some of the debt.

In a speech today however, the Taoiseach warned "without access to mortgage credit, young families will place increasing demand on the rental and social housing markets."

A colleague of mine suggests that is a formality. Pick a house which is pretty expensive, and you are pre-approved for lower draw downs.

Yes, that was my experience. It was a case of picking a house more or less in the ballpark that we might like to buy; get full approval; then go find an actual house.

We then found a house but had to put in a new application for fresh approval - which was done in 24 hours because they had been through all our details before. As it happens, we got outbid so didn't buy. Then we found another house and had to apply again (very quick). And were outbid again.

The reason this detail seems relevant is that 'new' mortgage approvals from Jan 1 will be subject to the new rules but 'existing' mortgage 'approval in principle' might survive a few more months.

My interpretation is that BoI don't do approval in principle and that each application is a new unique arrangement.

So if I have approval on a particular house from BoI but want to buy a different house in February, I take it we will be dealing with a 'new' application rather than using the previous approval.

:confused: I'm not sure even I know what I'm talking about any more :)

I'm just trying to figure how when the new rules will truly kick in.

• Advertisement

Mr.McLovin wrote: »

They have been floating this for a while now, well before the Central Bank's proposals. And economists have warned that it will fuel the bubble - which is not good for FTBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

I read the article, but what exactly is it that enda is proposing they will do to help first time buyers?

Lucy B wrote: »
    I read the article, but what exactly is it that enda is proposing they will do to help first time buyers?

A mortgage insurance scheme, which will only push the FTB price up further. In the Central Bank's own words:

"A recent Government strategy document indicated that consideration would be given to the concept of a mortgage insurance scheme. No details of such a scheme have yet been announced. Any such scheme would need to be carefully thought through in terms of its potential for resulting in fiscal costs as well as the risk that it could exacerbate housing price dynamics. "

Thanks MaryBea,

They must've changed the rules since last year..
    I have just spoken to my colleague again and he said that he was in fact asked for the exact amount he would like to borrow (still, not for the specific house though). He asked for the amount of 4x times his gross income and was approved for this sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Lucy B wrote: »

it will encourage banks to lend more money to more people because the tax payer has guaranteed it

what could go wrong?

Interesting, thanks a lot.

Do you happen to know how long it will be valid? (Final question :))

Interesting, thanks a lot.

Do you happen to know how long it will be valid? (Final question :))

He received an approval in principal valid for 6 full months. I will be applying myself within the next few weeks, so will be in the position to update with the fresh info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

They may not be vacant. This NAMA manipulation of the market exposes the pseudo-concern of the Gombeen classes for the FTB's. Clearly putting these on the normal market would depress prices and be a far better benefit to the FTB than chasing increasing credit to increase prices in a supply deficient market , credit which they will have to pay back. They, or the tax payer.

Read the article.
    The seven schemes currently produce a rental income of €7.43 million but the agents say this figure could be increased to around €8.7 million through improved asset management.
    That would imply that approx 15% of them are being "under-utilised" through "sub-optimal asset management", which would come as no surprise to anybody who has marveled at the increasing rents in Tallaght despite all the empties around the Square.

Either way, the fact that they want to sell them to anybody bar ordinary joe soaps who would pay more suggests that they aren't really that interested in genuinely getting the best deal for the taxpayer.

MayBea wrote: »
    He received an approval in principal valid for 6 full months. I will be applying myself within the next few weeks, so will be in the position to update with the fresh info :)

Great - keep us posted and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

MayBea wrote: »

Approval in principle is exactly that, it is approval in principle, it's a very good indicator of what the bank will allow you to drawdown, it is NOT an offer letter however.
    As I've stated before, I think on this thread, the central bank document states that it expects banks to take account of the new rules from last Tuesday, I gather that the banks and brokers etc have been lobbying the CBI to try and come to a compromise in situations where approvals have already been granted and so on, but there's no guarantee that will result in agreement.
    It may be of course that your friend will qualify for that amount in any case as the CBI document does allow for some wriggle room for the banks in that a percentage of borrowing does not have to comply with the terms proposed.

Advertisement