Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Russian Hacker

Options
  • 22-10-2014 1:59am

This guy's a legend.

Here's two to start yee off;

You can find the rest here: Channel

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I used to watch his videos, thought his accent was great at first but it slowly lost it's appeal.

He seems to just post videos about stuff on LifeHacker website, entertaining nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I used to watch his videos, thought his accent was great at first but it slowly lost it's appeal.

He seems to just post videos about stuff on LifeHacker website, entertaining nonetheless!

"Safety is number one priority" !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

For the first video, how manny days has to take to charge your iPhone using that method?

moon1 wrote: »
    For the first video, how manny days has to take to charge your iPhone using that method?

Same as a car battery with less capacity.

The car charger turns 12v into 5v using switch mode and heat to dump the excess.
    It'll do the same thing from a 9v source except the PP3 battery has less stored energy (about the same as one mobile phone charge).

From a 7v source I'd expect the car charger regulators to drop out and stop working.

For intents and purposes I think a half phone charge in normal time would be a realistic expectation.

Power in dry cell batteries is several orders of magnitude more expensive than conventional sources.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The car charger turns 12v into 5v using switch mode and heat to dump the excess.
    It'll do the same thing from a 9v source except the PP3 battery has less stored energy (about the same as one mobile phone charge).
    The whole point of a switched mode is not to convert the excess voltage to heat.

So maybe they are 80% efficient depending on the load. On small chargers the voltage drop across the diode can be a large percentage of the output voltage which never helps.

Add about another 20% losses because of the voltage changes during charging too.

And yes dry cells are maybe 1,500 times more expensive than mains electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

This is kind of interesting, mostly find his video fun and childish

Yeah I lost interest in the channel a while back.

This guy is a true hacker.

Here's a favourite, he's fairly metalshop heavy...depends what you're into, there's a few electronic and hydraulic gems in there too.

Gotta love his $80K cutting oil pot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

He's talking funny, bold(boiled) eggs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I really liked this one. Using a cork and screw to make your keyring float in water is simple yet brilliant:

• Advertisement
Advertisement