Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Banned from politics.

Options
  • 21-10-2014 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've just gotten a ban from politics from k9.
    There has been a lot of posts on the 'SF now level with FG in polls' about Maria Cahill and all that goes with that. There's another thread in the politics section pretty much dealing with the same thing.

Anyway, k9 has a certain view about what happened to her and it is my view that he/she shouldn't be moderating a thread where he has such a strong view against Sinn Fein and Adams.

I received a ban around 10 pm and here's the PM,

"Dear Fr. Ned,

You have been banned from Politics for one day for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

K-9"

As you can see there's no mention of a post or of what I seem to have done wrong.

So I asked what breach of charter I had committed and got this in return,

It's to stop you running amok in the forum until another mod gets to look at your posting today and overall contribution to the forum.

Thanks, bye

K-9

As far as I'm concerned I wasn't 'running amok' on the thread and said nothing defamatory about anyone concerned.
    I have to ask the question, should a 'moderator' with such strong views on a subject like this be moderating and posting in the same thread?
    It doesn't seem to be fair if the moderator is biased one way or the other.

I've been trying to view my posts again on the thread but because I'm banned I can't see them.

Could someone get back to me?

Regards,
    Ned Green.

N.B. As no post was attached to the ban I received I can't be sure which thread the ban came from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK Fr. Ned

as this ban expires today I am going to be brief.
    Having no experience of your posting I have gone into this with an open mind but just a quick review of some of your posts basically has me concerned.
    The mod issued the 1-day ban as a last resort, they had contributed to the thread and wanted to remain impartial but made a judgement call (correct in my opinion) to prevent more of your posts from derailing the thread. Generally where mods contribute other mods will moderate but sometimes there is no-one around.

Here are some examples. None of which are of the standard required in Politics.
    Let me be crystal clear here - if you continue to post in this vein you will shortly be the winner of a permanent ban, this is not a threat, I don't issue bans in Politics except as a last resort but I can tell you now the level of your contribution is not welcome in Politics.

These are just 3 of many examples. Take the one day ban as it was meant - a wake up call, later today when the ban is lifted read the charter, read some posts by others and if you find you are going to slip into the type of posts as below just don't post.

20-10 @ 20:15 - Sinn Féin now level with Fine Gael in opinion polls.
    Exactly.
    It seems there's people on this thread doing exactly what they've been up in arms about the PIRA allegedly doing.
    As I said earlier, that's quite strange but not entirely unexpected.
    I'll leave them to it, no point feeding.

20-10 @ 23:37 - Sinn Féin now level with Fine Gael in opinion polls.
    Jesus, it's f*cking cliche man.......pathetic indeed.

Yesterday 11:05 - Sinn Féin now level with Fine Gael in opinion polls.
    Christ on a bike.
    You actually think Gerry Adams would be reading the tripe written about him by anonymous posters on a board like this?
    Get a grip.

Ban stands. You can request an admin review, your call but I would suggest strongly you look to yourself on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

That's all fair enough.
    I'll take your advice.

Seems though that it was this post of mine in reply to k9 that caused the ban,

"Well you have allowed, as a moderator, people on here to make all kinds of accusations regarding this subject.
    You've allowed, what could be described as a kangaroo court (the very thing this thread is attacking SF about) to be formed on boards.ie.
    Now, you can send me on another little holiday from 'politics' if you like, but it won't change what you have allowed to continue on here."

I would suggest to you though, that people posting such strong views as k9 holds on that subject shouldn't be moderating the same thread.
    If you read through the whole thread you can see posts, not from k9 mind, that are accusing other posters of all sorts and they're allowed to stand.
    I find that quite interesting.

Anyway, we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

That was just one of the posts. As above though action was needed to address how you were contributing in general. I know you feel K-9 was not impartial in issuing the ban, but had another mod been available I think we would now be discussing a much longer ban right now.

Please do take this warning to heart, if you can't change how you participate in Politics the mods will have little choice, you might again feel that if it is K-9 who actions the next post it is personal but based on what I have reviewed he has acted with a large part of restraint, and caution in halting you making things worse for yourself while at the same time allowing the thread to return to a normal rhythm. As above ideally mods don't mod threads they are participating in for this very reason, but in some instances, as here there is no choice and as I just stated a days ban would not have been issued by any of the other mods if they were available at the time.

Will ask the admin team to mark this as resolved and thanks for your understanding.
    Take care (in all senses of the word).
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement