Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

H5 1 Iron

• 21-10-2014 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just got one. Very happy with it at the range. Low ball flight obviously but finding it very accurate. I like the swingweight with the KBS shaft. Much bulkier at the back than the H4 or previous flihi's but not distracting. Easy enough off the deck as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Have the H4 3 and 4 iron and love them. What's the loft on the 1 iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

elgenerale wrote: »

Yeah I really need a wood and hybrid bridging my driver to get the playable loft from the fairway, even with the extra help.

Be great from the tee though

Yes its not gonna get you over water and onto a green. But from the tee it should be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

I don't buy into the low ball flight thing with regard to these. I play the mizuno fli hi 3 and 4 iron with the mp53's up and the 4 looks a little compared to the 5 iron if anything. It's still pretty to keep them down imo just a stock 4 isn't overly low compared to my mp 53 4 iron.
    I've ordered the Callaway prototype 2 iron a couple weeks ago too. I love the iron off the tee and if it plays how i like ill bag a 1 iron too.

• Advertisement

Have you hit the 1 iron?

I never said the 3 and 4 had low ball flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Oh ya, of course ive hit the 1 iron. But any club thats sending the ball over 250 isn't going to be on a very flat trajectory. It pretty much has to have height on it.

I wasn't giving digs just saying that the flight is not that low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

m r c wrote: »
    Oh ya, of course ive hit the 1 iron. But any club thats sending the ball over 250 isn't going to be on a very flat trajectory. It pretty much has to have height on it.

I wasn't giving digs just saying that the flight is not that low

I've gone back to using an old 1Iron (Wilson form the 90's). Doesn't go 250 but would go 230 yds. Flat trajectory and runs like hell once it hits the ground.

The old 1 irons were modern 2 or 3 irons, because the pw started at 50 degrees( now 47 for players irons, 45 or 44 for game improvement)

To hit a 15 degree old bladed iron in the air any carry you would need 115 swing speed and a balata.

You couldn't hit a pro v 1 anywhere with one of those, just doesn't have the spin.

The old 1 irons were modern 2 or 3 irons, because the pw started at 50 degrees( now 47 for players irons, 45 or 44 for game improvement)

To hit a 15 degree old bladed iron in the air any carry you would need 115 swing speed and a balata.

You couldn't hit a pro v 1 anywhere with one of those, just doesn't have the spin.

Not a blade, not a balata but a AD333 Tour and certainly not a 115 swing speed. And yet there she flew last Sat, 230 with the wind and 210 into the wind.

• Advertisement

Not a blade, not a balata but a AD333 Tour and certainly not a 115 swing speed. And yet there she flew last Sat, 230 with the wind and 210 into the wind.

Cool, but what was it, a Wilson progressive, ultra? The 1 iron was not 15 degrees is my point, it would be between 17 and 22

Playing a 15 degree old school iron off the fairway without high speed would be pretty pointless (they didn't make them because nobody would play it over a wood).

The mizuno is more like a 15 degree hybrid, so even though the loft is low you can get it up easier, but not overly high like a spinny hybrid club.

Cool, but what was it, a Wilson progressive, ultra? The 1 iron was not 15 degrees is my point, it would be between 17 and 22

Playing a 15 degree old school iron off the fairway without high speed would be pretty pointless (they didn't make them because nobody would play it over a wood).

The mizuno is more like a 15 degree hybrid, so even though the loft is low you can get it up easier, but not overly high like a spinny hybrid club.

Wilson Ultra System 45.
    I mentioned this as you indicated that a flat trajectory would not provide any distance. I gave my own experience of a 1Iron with a flat trajectory. I've never commented on the degrees of loft. Perhaps we are at cross purposes here.
    By accident in August I took this out of the garage and on to the range. I hadn't used it for over 10 years. What I found was the I was able to hit it consistently and it had a very low flat flight path. This seems to be in contrast to every modern club which by concentrating on MOI etc are all about getting the ball higher in order for it to go longer. I play on a links and when its windy I need a club to stay below the wind. This does the job very well. I predominately use it off the tee, but on rare occasions I've used it off the fairways on par 5's. Off the fairway its difficult but not impossible to hit, a bit like hitting driver off the fairway.

My dad played with a set from the same year (1993), the Progressive which were beautiful blades up to the 7 iron then a bit of cavity in the back. I used them on and off myself and loved hitting the 2 iron on the links like you said. (Wilson really blew it in the 90's making cheap garbage after these and the Ultras)

I think we were at cross purposes about the loft alright.

Modern greens are now all carry on newer courses which is a shame. raised and sloped greens and 10 foot bunkers to run into

That's why we don't get offered even 3 irons anymore. At some point in golfers who are average speed, the loft of the club does not matter, they will hit say a 5 iron further than a 4 or 3 iron, because lower speed players and lower loft won't spin enough for carry.

By the way that 1 iron ultra is 17 degrees, so that is no mean feat to hit it well. I agree great option off the tee if you can pull it off

My dad played with a set from the same year (1993), the Progressive which were beautiful blades up to the 7 iron then a bit of cavity in the back. I used them on and off myself and loved hitting the 2 iron on the links like you said. (Wilson really blew it in the 90's making cheap garbage after these and the Ultras)

I think we were at cross purposes about the loft alright.

Modern greens are now all carry on newer courses which is a shame. raised and sloped greens and 10 foot bunkers to run into

That's why we don't get offered even 3 irons anymore. At some point in golfers who are average speed, the loft of the club does not matter, they will hit say a 5 iron further than a 4 or 3 iron, because lower speed players and lower loft won't spin enough for carry.

By the way that 1 iron ultra is 17 degrees, so that is no mean feat to hit it well. I agree great option off the tee if you can pull it off

I had a set of these Wilsons irons which I truly loved. Loaned them (except the 1iron) to a friend who was playing in Scotland and he had his car and more importantly my clubs stolen. Got the insurance money but have never managed to buy a set of irons since that I liked as much.
    You say "no mean feat to hit it well", but I've always been able to hit it. Just suits my eye, I guess. I'm only a 14 h/c so its not like my ball striking is brilliant.

Agree with you on Wilson. They replicated their lowering standards in their tennis racquets at the same time.

Ok so I've played a few rounds with it and its good, very good. I've tried a lot of 3 woods and never found one I liked. This is a good alternative for me.

I found the old flihi had a high swingweight which hurt my back at times. The H4 was a bit the opposite but they have got it right this time round (for me anyway).

I will be looking at the complete set based on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They actually havent changed the lofts on the low irons that much, more so at the PW end of things as far as Im aware.

GreeBo wrote: »
    They actually havent changed the lofts on the low irons that much, more so at the PW end of things as far as Im aware.

Based on a sample size of my fathers and my own clubs. Looking at a 4i, 7i &pw

1971 Wilson Haig Ultras 4i - 27deg, 7i -38, pw - 51
    1993 Wilson System45 4i - 25deg, 7i - 36, pw - 48
    2002 TaylorMade RAC 4i - 24deg, 7i - 35, pw - 48
    2013 Mizuno JPX840 4i - 22deg, 7i - 32, pw - 45

Based on a sample size of my fathers and my own clubs. Looking at a 4i, 7i &pw

1971 Wilson Haig Ultras 4i - 27deg, 7i -38, pw - 51
    1993 Wilson System45 4i - 25deg, 7i - 36, pw - 48
    2002 TaylorMade RAC 4i - 24deg, 7i - 35, pw - 48
    2013 Mizuno JPX840 4i - 22deg, 7i - 32, pw - 45

Haig ultras are beautiful, no need for a gap wedge, a ridiculous club to have to have anyway thanks to delofting.

Why the hell do we think lower lofts do anything for golf other than having to spend another 100 on another wedge and 150 on pne one' maybe two hybrids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Haig ultras are beautiful, no need for a gap wedge, a ridiculous club to have to have anyway thanks to delofting.

Why the hell do we think lower lofts do anything for golf other than having to spend another 100 on another wedge and 150 on pne one' maybe two hybrids.

Amazing change in lofts - I have the 45 deg Mizuno wedge above - was a joke as it could go about 145 to 155 yards. Ended up having to get 3 wedges above this - 48 - 52 - 56.

In saying that - I do like having the extra wedges. Use The 56 most , bunkers and from 100 yards in.

Yea the Ultras are beautiful clubs. The heads and shafts are still in pristine condition but as the the grips are replacements, I doubt they are worth very much. But even through they sit in the back of a closet they are a nice connection to my late father.

The loft disparity is even greater in the TM's. The TM Rocketblades 2013 have a 4iron at 20degrees and 7iron at 30.5. Compare to the 1971 Wilsons have 2iron at 20degrees and a 5iron at 31.

I agree fully with you last paragraph.

• Advertisement

Did he play the woods too Trapped?they were also beautiful, my dad them and used them late 80's when he started playing, wish he kept them so I could have a crack.

Here's a good refurb of the Haig set, really look great.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/366465-haig-ultra-restoration-project/

Not the 71 model but similar time I'd say

Did he play the woods too Trapped?they were also beautiful, my dad them and used them late 80's when he started playing, wish he kept them so I could have a crack.

TBH my fathers irons don't look a lot closer to the refurbished set than the originals. He used individual head covers for his Irons which meant very little nicks and scratches
    The woods he had were the Wilson 4300. I've not hit them yet.
    They have similar wear to the lacquer that is shown in the before pictures of the restoration project you linked to. The amazing thing is that the face of the woods is screwed in. You have 4 screws in a north, east, south, west configuration. You need to be really accurate to hit the ball in the space between the screws.
    These are a different model but have the same screw alignment on the face.
    http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WILSON-STAFF-II-TOUR-BLOCK-PERSIMMON-3-WOOD-RIGHT-HANDED-GREAT-BUY-/291284809105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&autorefresh=true

Its seems absolutely nuts that you would run the possibility of hitting the ball with the head of a screw. I've always assumed this is where the expression "hitting it out of the screws" comes from.

If I ever work out how to load pictures I'll put them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Trapper Tinypicture is the job

http://tinypic.com/

I'd imagine - hitting it out of the screws comes from the idea - that if something is hit hard enough - the screws will not be able to hold something together ?

Advertisement