Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy

Options
  • 15-10-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

As I go to a school in a deprived area and let's face it I haven't put enough work in to get 565 points I've decided I'm going to do a pharmacy technician course in DIT.

Being a pharmacy technician is something that really excites me. And in general I'm driven more by passion than money.

This isn't a huge problem for me but I was just looking for some answers.

Is it possible to become a pharmasist after many years of experience is there a choice to move on?
    Or even so is there an optional available for mature students to do a pharmacology course to become a pharmasist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

To become a pharmacist you will need a Pharmacy degree (Pharmacology is not a healthcare degree). No amount of technician experience will qualify you to become a pharmacist unfortunately. If you don't get the points for a course here perhaps you can look at the UK? There are quite a few universities offering Pharmacy over there. Alternatively you can apply to do Pharmacy as a mature student when you're 23. Pharmacy technician experience will probably help you in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pugsforbubbles

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    To become a pharmacist you will need a Pharmacy degree (Pharmacology is not a healthcare degree). No amount of technician experience will qualify you to become a pharmacist unfortunately. If you don't get the points for a course here perhaps you can look at the UK? There are quite a few universities offering Pharmacy over there. Alternatively you can apply to do Pharmacy as a mature student when you're 23. Pharmacy technician experience will probably help you in that regard.

Thank you that's what I was wondering. I didn't know you could apply as a mature student for that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

As I go to a school in a deprived area and let's face it I haven't put enough work in to get 565 points I've decided I'm going to do a pharmacy technician course in DIT.

Being a pharmacy technician is something that really excites me. And in general I'm driven more by passion than money.

This isn't a huge problem for me but I was just looking for some answers.

Is it possible to become a pharmasist after many years of experience is there a choice to move on?
    Or even so is there an optional available for mature students to do a pharmacology course to become a pharmasist.

I got 425 points in my mocks, I got 545 which was enough to get me into pharmacy back in 2010 three months later. If you put your mind to it, you can get the points, provided you work hard. It's not too late.
    With regards to progression some of the mature students on my course we're technicians, although it's fairly competitive as a mature student route

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

Hi OP :-) just by chance I came across your post while browsing. I'm doing pharmacy in University of Sunderland in Uk (1st year) and I have to say its a really great course. I got 485 in LC 2014 meaning there was no way in hell i was getting into pharmacy in Ireland but luckily enough it got me in here just when i thought all hope was lost. I know at least 2 pharmacists from my own town back home who went here and say that a pharmacy degree from the UK is highly sought after, as pharmacy is thought in a much more practical way here. Its also 4 years instead of 5. If you are worried about money, don't be. All students studying in UK universities are eligible for a student loan that only becomes repayable when the student is earning over £21000 :-) Its a great career path in my opinion. Dont hesitate to contact me if you need more info :P

Advertisement