Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borstal Boy

Options
  • 04-10-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of going to see Borstal Boy this weekend.
    Has anyone seen it ,what you do you think?
    I've read the reviews online but their not that helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well, did you see Borstal Boy in the end? There is so much on at the moment between theatre and film that I am finding it hard to decide what to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

No didn't go but still interested in going.
    I think you should definitely go,and then report back with a review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HellishHeat

It depends what you are expecting from it really. It's a light hearted musical. If you've read the book, they never really capture the banter/comradery between the lads in borstal.

Lots of unexpected, unprovoked and unnecessary singing and dancing. It's disjointed set-piece after disjointed set-piece and it's too long.

I'm told the performances are great but I'm not sure what that's based on.

They got a standing ovation the night I was there. But I think that was for Brendan Behan as much as for the production.

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

It depends what you are expecting from it really. It's a light hearted musical. If you've read the book, they never really capture the banter/comradery between the lads in borstal.

Lots of unexpected, unprovoked and unnecessary singing and dancing. It's disjointed set-piece after disjointed set-piece and it's too long.

I'm told the performances are great but I'm not sure what that's based on.

They got a standing ovation the night I was there. But I think that was for Brendan Behan as much as for the production.

5/10

I read elsewhere that it was 3 hours long, is it 3 hours with or without the interval?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HellishHeat

I can't be sure but it felt every bit of 3 hours. I spent the last half hour shifting around my seat and hoping for a conclusion to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

Sounds like I will be giving it a skip, musicals arn't my thing especially three hours long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I went to Saturdays Matinee in the end, 2hours and 50 minutes (including the interval), i felt it went very quick. I enjoyed every minute of it, not sure if i would class it as a musical as such, yes there is some singing/dancing in it but i didn't feel that it took away from the show and they were only short numbers tbh. I would definitely recommend seeing it.

Advertisement