Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downloader.Trojan

• 11-03-2003 10:37am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here on in technology, but anyway, Norton Anti-Virus keeps reporting the presence of this virus in the file Sa.exe in the Wiint/System32 directory.
    NAV can't fix it, and the advice is just to remove the file. I've don this, but the message keeps reappearing every couple of hours regardless. I've updated NAV and re-scanned, and run a program called Trojan Remover, but both reported a clean hard disk.
    I've just got the message again, and sure enough, SA.exe is back in the system32 directory. I dleeted it again, but the messages
    keep coming.

So my question is - that SA.exe file, is it a file placed there by the Trojan or is it an important system file which I shouldn't be deleting and to which the trojan attaches itself?
    Has anyone had this virus and knows a way to remove it completely or better yet, prevent it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

did you google?
    have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

you could try using a different AV software alongside your existing one to see if it makes a difference.

I use AntiVirus Gaurd, the free version, and has yet to let me down.

just taking a quick look on AntiVirus.com, i did a search for Download.Trojan with the following result. Im not sure of this is your virus or not, but its worth a look

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I found several different methods of removing it on the web, but none of the registry entries they refer to exist in my registry.
    I'm not fully sure what a Trojan is exactly, as the description of the virus says the trojan downloader downlaods a trojan which executes itself. I think NAV catches it before it gets to download the nasty bit but can't prevent the downloader from copying itself into the system32 dir.
    I did a search for SA.exe, but I got results for hundreds of different programs all with the same name.

Advertisement