Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S5, HTC one M8 ... or?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

My contract is up with Three, finally! And they're offering me an upgrade [phone-wise]. I will be downgrading to a lower contract [ironically ... as I'm just not using the data - I'm forever on the laptop, also have a wireless iPad], so any of these phones will cost about €100 to me. I had an iPhone 5, which died - the battery just kicked it a couple of months back. I've been using a €69 Samsung jobby since, horrible thing! [Not because it's Samsung mind, but because it's a cheap and horrible model - couldn't even watch youtube clips on it for example]

I play a lot of mobile games, I am a photographer - camera on a phone isn't crucial, but it's a nice bonus IMO .. and I do the usual social networking. I'll video the kids here and there too, but nothing special on the video front, I'm no movie maker!

I want solid, reliable, fast, punchy, vibrant display - capable of running the latest high end Android games, HD movies etc ...

The choices they offered me were the Galaxy S5 or the HTC M8 - I expressed interest in an iphone 6, when they get them in, also. Now I see there's a Galaxy Alpha incoming to Three also. Looked it up, it's got a lower res screen than the others but faster processor .... I think!? and it's better built than the S5.

Any suggestions? Anyone got experience with any of these? Best bang for buck?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ShetlandViking

I got a HTC One M8 yesterday, seems to be really good so far. Most reviews say the camera isn't great but I have no problems with it and it focuses and takes pics very quickly (probably because I'm used to crap cameras on 3 year old phones). Other than that it has lots of handy features, is very customizable and runs smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Cheers.

Ordered the M8 earlier today, after watching dozens of comparison clips on YT - The camera won't bother me, I had the iPhone 5 and used the camera maybe 10 times in 2 yrs. I have a decent dslr for pics :)

I got it in blue, for a change. And looking forward to trying a bit of Android. Still got the ipad for iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

iPhone 5 has a recall for battery, you might get a replacement one for free. Should be quick enough to find on the google.

BTW good choice on the M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Looks like I'm a bit late, but sounds like the Xperia Z3 would've been right up your alley. Should be available in a couple of weeks.

My missus has the Z2, she's had nothing but trouble with it to date. Over heating and blacking out especially. It's back in again for another service/replacement, she only bought it a couple of months back :/ That's not to say it's a bad phone, she might be just very unlucky, and the Z3 may well be better. But I wanted to have something different to her anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

My missus has the Z2, she's had nothing but trouble with it to date. Over heating and blacking out especially. It's back in again for another service/replacement, she only bought it a couple of months back :/ That's not to say it's a bad phone, she might be just very unlucky, and the Z3 may well be better. But I wanted to have something different to her anyway :)

my colleague keeps praising his Z2, no issues whatsoever, only overheats when filming in 4K but that's common to all phones. Great battery life, great display, decent camera, water and dust resistant, 3GB or RAM and runs super fast... I'm waiting for the Z3 before taking a decision myself...

Well of course most will have no issues, or there'd be a mass call back! But I have seen others report around online about issues with their Z2. It's a great phone, and I think once it's sorted she'll enjoy it a lot more.

Loving the M8 anyway, best phone I've had to date. It's a joy to use. And the camera is much better than people give it credit for, which is nice, as I see cameras on phones as a bonus really, not the first thing I opt for.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

well, they're all excellent phones at that price level, whether it is iPhone 6 or Samsung S5 or Soxy Z2 or HTC M8.
    They have their differences though, so one has to choose wisely :)

Yup, I could have gone for any of them tbh, and been as happy. After using a crappy cheap phone for a few months it wasn't going to be too hard to please me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Just to throw this in, facing the same dilemma myself, looked like the S5 was going to take it but been reading about the Sony Experia Z3 the last few days and it might pip it. Same price on vodafone, best in class battery life, similar standard camera and better build then the samsung. Anyone actually had a look at one?

• Advertisement

There's a new HTC 'E8' on the way, same spec as the M8, but plastic built and a more traditional 13mp camera.

I'm assuming it'll be cheaper because of the build, but it's exactly the same besides. And that means it's very fast, and very decent.

This comparison shows that MP count on the camera means nothing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL4Fs6UaD6A

Advertisement