Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question: confiscated car

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 angeliukas92

exaisle wrote: »
    The car has been driven here for 8 years without having road tax, VRT, correct insurance or NCT charges paid. It's quite possible that it's in a dangerous condition and that it's a danger to other road users.

I think it unlikely that anybody will have sympathy for your father.

I also think it likely that he'll be charged for driving with no tax, incorrect insurance, no NCT cert and possibly non-payment of VRT.

As far as I'm concerned, fair play to the Gardai.

no , like he had everything for the car , but it was in european union. the insurence would cover up any demage or something cos thats why he was paying money , and nct was done every year but in lithuania. but it when out of date in january and he bought a new car and started to fix it up like vrt , unsurence tax and all that

do you feel that you entitled to cheat our tax and insurance laws because you are foreign or what?

why should you not have to buy tax and insurance but everybody else on this island does?

hope it gets crushed.

well the tax and nct and insurence was paid for our other car, this car wasn't for a daily use, so mostly it was stored in a garage . but taken for a spin, it was like a vintage car

you may be a law abiding eastern european irish resident, which is great.

but do take off your rosy tinted glasses, its no secret there are droves of eastern europeans in this country out to dodge giving the irish economy a cent.

like the OP's dad.

Don't you thing that my dad didn't pay for vrt and irish taxes, he paid then in his own county, incase of a acsident for an irish driver to get payed. he pays everything and he is not on a social welfare by the way, talk more about the gipsy coming in to the ireland steeling and all that ****, staying on a dole and have **** alot of baby's. how many millions is washed away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

you may be a law abiding eastern european irish resident, which is great.

but do take off your rosy tinted glasses, its no secret there are droves of eastern europeans in this country out to dodge giving the irish economy a cent.

like the OP's dad.

Plenty of Irish people dodge giving our economy a cent either. How many dole lifers do you know of? I know of quite a few

Also, without having Eastern Europeans here we wouldn't have Eastern European women, which would be a crime in itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Don't you thing that my dad didn't pay for vrt and irish taxes, he paid then in his own county, incase of a acsident for an irish driver to get payed. he pays everything
    If that's the case, then he shouldn't have any problem getting the car back. Just bring all the paperwork proving the above.

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Plenty of Irish people dodge giving our economy a cent either. How many dole lifers do you know of? I know of quite a few

Also, without having Eastern Europeans here we wouldn't have Eastern European women, which would be a crime in itself

most of the Irish people run away to Canada or somewhere ells I think they dodge foren country rules as well . sure you all like eastern european women :D

If that's the case, then he shouldn't have any problem getting the car back. Just bring all the paperwork proving the above.

they don't accept it . they say it's Lithuanian even it is whiten that it is valid in European union. they don't care , they say to still get the Irish paper work, like as Ireland was not in European union.. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OT angeliukas92 but I must ask how did you install the Borat accent on your PC?

Graham wrote: »

what????? whatsa borat acent and how do you know it's on my pc ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

Graham wrote: »

its all here Graham http://www.soundboard.com/sb/borat have fun,high five :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Issa hokay, I founda Manuel accent plug-in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

High horse is strong with this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

they don't accept it . they say it's Lithuanian even it is whiten that it is valid in European union. they don't care , they say to still get the Irish paper work, like as Ireland was not in European union.. :confused::confused:

All because Ireland has a rule, that Irish residents (people who live in Ireland - like your dad) are not allowed to own or drive a car registered in other country.
    Even though car has insurance and valid test from that country.

I know it's stupid, but that's the rules unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

CiniO wrote: »
    All because Ireland has a rule, that Irish residents (people who live in Ireland - like your dad) are not allowed to own or drive a car registered in other country.

It's not a stupid rule. How can Gardaí check insurance, tax and test details of a car registered in another country? They have enough difficulty doing this with Irish cars.

It's not a stupid rule. How can Gardaí check insurance, tax and test details of a car registered in another country? They have enough difficulty doing this with Irish cars.

All over EU, police doesn't seem to have problem with it.
    Why garda should have.

Why garda should have.

That applies to temporary imports, which this case clearly isn't.

That applies to temporary imports, which this case clearly isn't.

I just responded to you argument, that gards can't check insurance and test on foreign car.
    If you say they can on temporary imports, than why couldn't they do the same when imported car is staying here for longer?

I just responded to you argument, that gards can't check insurance and test on foreign car.
    If you say they can on temporary imports, than why couldn't they do the same when imported car is staying here for longer?

No, I meant they can't easily check details on any foreign registered car but in the case of a temporary import it isn't as important.

I believe the same rule applies in UK - if you are resident you must tax and register locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

flutered wrote: »
    i recently became aquainted with a polish person who drives a 2.5 yoke, i asked how can you afford to run it, tax insurance petrol, i was told no tax, i asked why, i was told the ticket for no tax is €60, a no brainer.

Don't the Gardai look for a reason of non display though. What is your mate going to say when asked about the last time the car was taxed? If he says never the Gardai can seize the car.

He might get away with it on the first stop but the second time if the Garda radio's back to HQ to see if the car has a record of being stopped for no tax they will surely seize it rather than a non display fine the second time and he will end up in court.

Thats why I hear lots of people do the 3 months on and 3 months off system of taxing their cars because the Gardai tend to be more lenient when the can see a recent tax record on the car and its either a produce in ten days or a €60 fine as opposed to a seizure.

This could be just talk though, you would think they'd have a record of non display fines tied to each person and car and would have them sussed and would start seizures when they encounter said person again.

• Advertisement

No, I meant they can't easily check details on any foreign registered car but in the case of a temporary import it isn't as important.
    To be honest, why do you think it isn't important on temporary imported cars?

I believe the same rule applies in UK - if you are resident you must tax and register locally.

The same rule applies in many EU countries. Usually those who charge registration tax of motor tax.
    Other countries allows foreign cars to be driven without any limit.

But THB police shouldn't have a problem checking if foreign car is insured and tested.

When I was pulled over by police in Poland in my Irish registerd car (and this was several times), I always was asked to produce logbook, insurance cert and NCT cert on the spot. Police even had blanks in squad car how those things should look like.

Hang on, this is going slightly off now. You said

My point is that this isn't a stupid rule, and applies in many EU countries - if you are resident, you must register and tax your car locally.

What countries allow you to drive foreign registered cars without limit?

Hang on, this is going slightly off now. You said

My point is that this isn't a stupid rule, and applies in many EU countries - if you are resident, you must register and tax your car locally.
    And I said it was stupid, as I would love to see this scrapped all over EU, and have one big open market for cars, possibly with one kind of unified EU numberplates, and no taxes.
    But that's just dreams.

What countries allow you to drive foreign registered cars without limit?
    The best example I know is Poland.
    You can drive a foreign registered car, as long as it's insured and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Right. So, Ireland got to this state because of all those pesky EEs bending the rules and doing their little scams? :rolleyes: Get a grip, dude. I know that life can get hard, but you sound desperate here...
    If I was desperate I would be doing what the OP father was doing. Obviously you condone or participate in similar behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I thought he didn't have insurance on the "quick fixxer upper car"? He had a different car that was insured, but this one wasn't...
    well the tax and nct and insurence was paid for our other car, this car wasn't for a daily use, so mostly it was stored in a garage . but taken for a spin, it was like a vintage car

well,
    the car was crushed , And 200 euro fine was given to him for not getting the vrt,
    Because the car was fully covered with insurance and if an accident occurred no matter who's fault it was the insurance would have paid out , Car had The lithuanian NCT .
    So that the end of the story , just sadly the car could have been vintage car just in 3 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

So that the end of the story , just sadly the car could have been vintage an old car just in 3 years .

You don't say what it was, but not every thirty year old Opel Kadett is 'vintage'.

Having exploited the 'avoid tax by driving in Ireland on foreign plate' loophole I'm vaguely pleased that he won't be able to exploit the 'avoid tax by driving an old car and claiming it is vintage' loophole. I can't always take the moral high ground on car tax avoidance but your father was taking the biscuit.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Regarding the Polish example, I have an Irish registered car here at the moment. I have been told that the car can stay here for a 12 consecutive months as long as the car is road legal in Ireland.
    I believe this to be an EU wide law so the law in Ireland applies everywhere else in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

what purpose would this serve? it would probably cost the state money in legal aid and a fine might only end up being paid to the poor box/retired solicitors fund/an garda siochana.

Justice is a non-profit organization, theoretically at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Why garda should have.

You'll find that most countries have a big problem with it if the driver is resident there and their car isn't. OP, your father needs to sort his goddom paperwork the same as the rest of us.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm

Advertisement