Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flirting

Options
  • 13-04-2009 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Curiosity i suppose more than a personal/relationship issue here really. While chatting with friends recently the topic of flirting came up. One issue that was discussed was do people do it just for self esteem/fun or because they maintain a genuine interest/attraction towards the other person. After continued debate we could not reach an agreement based on past experiences with the opposite sex, so i put the question to you boardsies: Do you flirt for fun or because you hold a genuine interest in someone? (note: this can include both verbal or non verbal flirting)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

Curiosity i suppose more than a personal/relationship issue here really. While chatting with friends recently the topic of flirting came up. One issue that was discussed was do people do it just for self esteem/fun or because they maintain a genuine interest/attraction towards the other person. After continued debate we could not reach an agreement based on past experiences with the opposite sex, so i put the question to you boardsies: Do you flirt for fun or because you hold a genuine interest in someone? (note: this can include both verbal or non verbal flirting)

for me it can be both, say with a really good guy mate you play flirt and thats always just fun

with a stranger id never do it for fun, people you dont really know flirting=genuine interest

thats just me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

I never consciously flirt with guys unless I'm going out with them. I joke around with them laugh smile and I'm sure I probably am flirting but its not at all conscious.

I tend to treat most of my male friends the same way I treat my female friends joking around. If it comes across as flirting then it's not showing attraction at all.

If I'm attracted to a guy there will probably be more touching them and texting and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I've always been flirtatious - withmates and strangers. It's never really conciously done.. it's just my mannerism.. never because I'm specifically attracted to someone, just for a conversational buzz really I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

My GF is totally oblivious to her flirting, she attracts a fair bit of attention but I'm not a childish jealous twerp so I take male attention towards her as a compliment. But she is well up on the flirt-o-meter after a few drinks. Its not intentional, I believe its human nature as Im a big flirt myself but through humor. I think it's obvious when a person is being flirtatious with intent and without....or I might be a total chump being played like a fiddle by my GF :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JasonBourne 2.0

I find that most of my guy mates including myself would only flirt with a girl if they were attracted to her (e.g if i/we saw a girl in a bar/nightclub i/we would try and make eye contact or initiate a conversation) whereas my girl mates seem to be divided in relation to this topic usually saying it depends, sometimes for fun or other times they would would make an effort when in a social setting such as playing with their hair or touching as mentioned above to show intent to both friends/strangers. Just an observation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

jim o doom wrote: »
    I've always been flirtatious - withmates and strangers. It's never really conciously done.. it's just my mannerism.. never because I'm specifically attracted to someone, just for a conversational buzz really I suppose :)

So basically you're a prick tease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭shelly.m

for me i only really flirt if im interested in the guy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So basically you're a prick tease.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

for me it can be both, say with a really good guy mate you play flirt and thats always just fun

with a stranger id never do it for fun, people you dont really know flirting=genuine interest

thats just me though

Agree 100% with you! I often flirt with my guy friends and visa versa. I don't do it in a "I want your body" type way more in a having a laugh way:P!

I think it is kinda wrong to flirt with a stranger, if you are really not interested. I know so many girls who go out and flirt with guys even though they have no attraction to them, just do it to get a free drink and feel a bit sexy. Personally I think that is like whoring yourself out for a drink! They are making a fool of the guy and themselves in my opinion.

In saying that, if I do spot a sexy stranger and get the chance I will flirt my ass off with them :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I suppose I'm fairly flirtatious, but there's a difference if there's genuine interest there. Seems to be the usual thing in my experience, on a night out everyone's a bit flirty, but you can tell if someone's into someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I get told all the time i'm a total flirt but i have no idea i'm doing it also i have no idea when a guy is flirting with me.
    Oblivious - table for 1.

When i flirt with a stranger im interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I never consciously flirt either yet get told I'm such a flirt. I just chat and have a laugh with guys - there's no agenda or act there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

thats just me though

Or say, if ya run out of money and everybody seems to be holding their drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Agree 100% with you! I often flirt with my guy friends and visa versa. I don't do it in a "I want your body" type way more in a having a laugh way:P!

I think it is kinda wrong to flirt with a stranger, if you are really not interested. I know so many girls who go out and flirt with guys even though they have no attraction to them, just do it to get a free drink and feel a bit sexy. Personally I think that is like whoring yourself out for a drink! They are making a fool of the guy and themselves in my opinion.

In saying that, if I do spot a sexy stranger and get the chance I will flirt my ass off with them :P

Definately, I have a couple of female friends who I always flirt with when we are out but not really touching so much (until I get a box for going too far:D) more verbal banter with the knowledge it won't go further.

Absolutely wrong to flirt with a stranger if you have no interest, it's just bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My GF is totally oblivious to her flirting, she attracts a fair bit of attention but I'm not a childish jealous twerp so I take male attention towards her as a compliment. But she is well up on the flirt-o-meter after a few drinks. Its not intentional, I believe its human nature as Im a big flirt myself but through humor. I think it's obvious when a person is being flirtatious with intent and without....or I might be a total chump being played like a fiddle by my GF :(
    I know her well.

Doublin wrote: »
    Absolutely wrong to flirt with a stranger if you have no interest, it's just bad form
    But not everyone flirts consciously - someone could have a very friendly chat and a great laugh with a person whom they're not interested in physically. Some might view that as flirting but it could just be the way they are.

But not everyone flirts consciously - someone could have a very friendly chat and a great laugh with a person whom they're not interested in physically. Some might view that as flirting but it could just be the way they are.

So what exactly would you constitute as conscious intentional flirting then in the sense that you say you could be having a chat/laugh which may or may not mean you are interested.

Well, when unattached, I didn't set out to flirt - I just chatted/had a laugh. I can't do forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im not a flirt at all. I just go the surprise sex route :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been with my OH for 20 months, and in that time I've not trusted myself to flirt with anyone (because that kind of behaviour led to misdemeanours in my previous relationship...)

I'm pretty messed up inside, but nobody knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

I am a naturally flirtious girl. I don't even realise I am flirting, it wouldn't go any further but I would flirt with male friends aswell as strangers without noticing ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I wouldn't consciously do it if trying to get female attention, but in a fun and jokey way with friends it just happens naturally.

I am a naturally flirtious girl. I don't even realise I am flirting, it wouldn't go any further but I would flirt with male friends aswell as strangers without noticing wink.gif
    I wouldn't consciously do it if trying to get female attention, but in a fun and jokey way with friends it just happens naturally.

I dont understand, why would anybody flirt without any intention of it going further or not flirt to try and get male/female attention. If nobody flirted there would be no relationships because people wouldn't show interest in each other and nobody would know if anybody liked them. Not that im criticising your points or saying they're invalid i'm just curious.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I dont understand, why would anybody flirt without any intention of it going further or not flirt to try and get male/female attention. If nobody flirted there would be no relationships because people wouldn't show interest in each other and nobody would know if anybody liked them. Not that im criticising your points or saying they're invalid i'm just curious.

Just for the fun of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Polleta wrote: »
    I never consciously flirt with guys unless I'm going out with them. I joke around with them laugh smile and I'm sure I probably am flirting but its not at all conscious.

I tend to treat most of my male friends the same way I treat my female friends joking around. If it comes across as flirting then it's not showing attraction at all.

If I'm attracted to a guy there will probably be more touching them and texting and so on and so forth.

thats exactly my problem! I mean, girls joke/hug/giggle/etcetcetc and its all gravy, but if its a girl to a guy then its flirting. Drives me nuts it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

: Do you flirt for fun or because you hold a genuine interest in someone? (note: this can include both verbal or non verbal flirting)

if by flirt you mean smuggle people into the back of my black and red van and for fun mean that i do it so i have workers my sweat shops, then yes, i do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Keogg wrote: »
    thats exactly my problem! I mean, girls joke/hug/giggle/etcetcetc and its all gravy, but if its a girl to a guy then its flirting. Drives me nuts it does.
    Does this mean every girl wants wimmin?............or is that just my personal choice of interpretation?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

can someone tell me if this is flirting??my gf said to a guy on fb that she missed him.the guy also asked her if she is still in love(with me) and she wrote-"think so ya".doesnt seem so sure!!she was never with this guy before but they flirted alot before we started dating.also another one of her friends is saying stuff to her like he loves her etc and she replies by saying awwww.and finally another guy she is friends with she sends many kisses to,writing stuff like mucho besos etc.is that too much or am i over reacting??thanks.sorry for jumping in here.im not sure how to start a new thread.

Apart from the fact that this thread is two and a half years old your gf sounds like a cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I flirt for sport, its a safari out there thus I treat it as such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement