Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Had a gorgeous lunch in the South County in Douglas yesterday. It wasn't michelin star fare by any means, but it was delicious home comforts type food and it really hit the spot. Excellent value for money and possibly one of the friendliest waitresses I've ever encountered. I'll definitely be returning.

What did you get? Have a lunch coming up there soon, wouldn't mind a recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Had a gorgeous lunch in the South County in Douglas yesterday. It wasn't michelin star fare by any means.

I see today that all of the Irish restaurants managed to keep their Michelin Stars.

Have been in the city a few evenings this week. Ate in coqbull. Not for me, but it was jammed full of 20's people. Food was alright only. Calamari were rubber-band-like, the salad was good enough. Plenty of anchovies (which i love) and the chicken on it was warm. Very big portions and I found everything oddly sweet? The coleslaw was very sweet in particular. Blackened cod had a sugary glaze too. American style food really. Very loud pop chart music on a loop. Would suit maybe groups from work or a bunch of hungry visitors. Not first date material anyway! Price-wise, it seemed like a lot for a burger joint. the sides are mental money. 4.50 for corn on the cob side dish.

Swang by huegenots as well. Just for a drink. It's split in half. Bottom half is a wine bar, top half is the bistro. Didn't eat. Looks lovely though. Older crowd than the other place. 30+ at least. 40's and 50's in there too.

Strasbourg goose was busy in that area as well. That part of town has come on a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pwurple wrote: »
    Have been in the city a few evenings this week. Ate in coqbull. Not for me, but it was jammed full of 20's people. Food was alright only. Calamari were rubber-band-like, the salad was good enough. Plenty of anchovies (which i love) and the chicken on it was warm. Very big portions and I found everything oddly sweet? The coleslaw was very sweet in particular. Blackened cod had a sugary glaze too. American style food really. Very loud pop chart music on a loop. Would suit maybe groups from work or a bunch of hungry visitors. Not first date material anyway! Price-wise, it seemed like a lot for a burger joint. the sides are mental money. 4.50 for corn on the cob side dish.

Swang by huegenots as well. Just for a drink. It's split in half. Bottom half is a wine bar, top half is the bistro. Didn't eat. Looks lovely though. Older crowd than the other place. 30+ at least. 40's and 50's in there too.

Strasbourg goose was busy in that area as well. That part of town has come on a good bit.

I mentioned earlier my neighbour's son got a job in Huguenot's. Seems it might not be doing as well as we hoped. The boy didn't even get to start! The owners called and told him he wasn't required as the business hasn't picked up as much as they hoped.

Pity :(. It's early days yet, so I hope it picks up. Passed it today and it looks really nice. Very elegant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Finally going to try the Ivory Tower at the weekend cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    Finally going to try the Ivory Tower at the weekend cant wait

Please let us know how you get on.

Oh yes please, Milly!! I'd love to try the Ivory Tower, but can't eat there alone and my husband absolutely will not try anything on the menus....

I'll have to wait for my mate to visit before I can go in there...

I will do!! Yeah the menus look a little adventurous but some are fine. From the booking all is going well anywho heard stories about them being rude on the phone and that but he seemed loverly!! will update ye on Sunday.. Cant wait it is defo one of the bucket list places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

We ate at the plaza in ballincollig the other night with a €25 for €50 voucher from the discount sites.
    It wasnt great. I had hot and spicy wings to start with and my wife had garlic bread with cheese and sausage. Hers was lovely but the wings tasted of chicken, no hot and spicy anything and had 6 winglets on the plate with a bit of salad for €6.95.
    Mains were pizza and a burger. Both nice but the chips with the burger were covered in salt. I threw a few onto my plate and i could see the salt falling off them.
    The cokes also tasted like cheap super market cola but could have been from a gun with a bad ratio.
    The meal only cost us €27 for 2 startes, 2 mains and 2 "cokes" which wasnt bad but if i hadnt had the voucher it would hage been €52 and i would have felt badly ripped off.
    i need to complain more instead of telling staff everything is ok

Thank god for the vouchers, defo should have said something.. I think they have been taken over by new people. We used to love going there and called in recently for lunch and well it wasn't very nice at all.. Even the place looked dirty or something a bit tatty

• Advertisement

Thank god for the vouchers, defo should have said something.. I think they have been taken over by new people. We used to love going there and called in recently for lunch and well it wasn't very nice at all.. Even the place looked dirty or something a bit tatty

We ate outside as it was nice and sunny so didnt even see the inside. The food was ok, nothing that wasnt nice except the salt on the chips and the cokes.
    The staff were nice and friendly and maybe we should have said something. If i had bought 2 vouchers id have no problems going back to use the 2nd but at full price id rather go across the square to banna thai. We really like it there and the food is much nicer. Their early bird would only be a few €€ more than what we paid in the plaza with the voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone tried Aroi yet where gambenies use to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I tried Aroi this evening and really enjoyed it, I got the seafood curry and for 10 euros it was amazing value, lots of fish and perfectly cooked squid and there was lots of fresh herbs etc in it so it was really flavoursome. I'd definitely go back, for 10 euros it really was great value. Oh and the staff were lovely as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Huguenot tonight with some friends, had a really good meal. Started off with 2 good slices of morteau sausage on a puy lentil salad. Had a steak for mains, came perfectly medium rare (as ordered) with a tower of proper thick cut fries, a small pot of bernaise sauce and what they advertised as "salad of smoked bacon" which unsurprisingly just was a small salad with some smoked bacon on it. I also had garlic beans on the side. Finished off with a creme brulee. Also shared a bottle of pretty nice white. For myself it came out just over €50 which I don't find unreasonable for the quality.

The starter was really nice and earthy without being too much, the steak was gorgeous though I'd prefer a slightly thicker cut. I also thought there could have been more bernaise (sauce fiend anyone?) and I wish the beans had come with as standard rather than a €3.50 side. The creme brulee was simply great - didn't even have that slightly burnt flavour you sometimes get from the blowtorch.

The service was really good and prompt, had some banter with most of them too. Some of the servers are French, some are not, all of the ones we had were nice. Food came out relatively quickly (we were there early-ish though) and they had not just a soup of the day but 2 starter and 2 main specials of the day.

Overall, would definitely go again. And when I do I am having the duck confit as I saw one on the neighbouring table and it looked and smelled amazing.

Just as a note, probably a fair few spelling errors here as my French skills are non-existent. :p

Good to hear. We'd like to try Huguenot's next...

Steak frites and duck confit! Sounds like my nirvana. Thanks for the review!

Now to persuade some people i eat with that french food isn't scary.

Steak frites and duck confit! Sounds like my nirvana. Thanks for the review!

Now to persuade some people i eat with that french food isn't scary.

WHAAATT? Are you kidding??? :D I LOVE French food - so many different regional cuisines to try and all delicious...

sporina wrote: »
    anyone tried Aroi yet where gambenies use to be?

Went there for lunch.
    I really liked it. We had three sides and two portions of sticky rice. The bill came to €18. It should have been €21 as they only charged for one rice but despite me pointing this out, we were still charged €18 and got a scoop of ice cream for free.
    I thought the food was really fresh tasting and bursting with flavour. I'm definitely going back to try some of the mains. Staff are mad friendly and they seem to be getting the food out fast.
    With nothing over €10 on the menu, nice setting and proper flavoursome Asian food, it gives some of the other Asian Street Food outlets a serious run for their money.

At last another purveyor of decent Asian food in Cork besides Yuan Ming Yuan.

BTW had anyone hear ever been to Gambini's?
    It was there for years but I've never known anyone who's been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Gambieni's on careys lane? I think I was there years ago so googled to refresh my memory. It says on their Facebook page they closed on the 7th Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bee06 wrote: »
    Gambieni's on careys lane? I think I was there years ago so googled to refresh my memory. It says on their Facebook page they closed on the 7th Sept.

Yup, that's the point! :P Arai is there now.

I know my aunt used to like Gambieni's years ago, but it always struck me as a garlic mushrooms and lasagne place. Very basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Malari wrote: »
    Yup, that's the point! :P Arai is there now.

I know my aunt used to like Gambieni's years ago, but it always struck me as a garlic mushrooms and lasagne place. Very basic.

Oops, I missed the quote from Sporina!

BTW had anyone hear ever been to Gambini's?

I went once, not too long ago, a few months maybe? Definitely this year, I want to say during the summer.

Food was rubbish. Microwaved "Italian" food. The meatballs were like little glowing lava blobs in a sauce that tasted strangely like a korma. Chicken was dry, service was rude, pasta was cooked to death and then microwaved to reheat. Good riddance considering the awesome Italian food you can get elsewhere in the city.

Ok so Im back, just about..

Must say for ambience Ivory Towers is spot on.. Such a loverly feeling to the place.

Was delighted walking in that they had a game menu on for €35, 5 courses. Very interesting we had pigeon, hare, venison, and other stuff.. Im debating it was very very nice but as with some stuff there was too much messing done with the food.. The served the venison with this chilli chocolate sauce and it was too heavy.. The rabbit and hare served nice and simply yummie..

The man himself was serving and he was really nice was half expecting him to be a bit of an ass but nope his lovery too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Im sold
    Ivory Tower it is next weekend!

Toppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What did you get? Have a lunch coming up there soon, wouldn't mind a recommendation.

The menu is very basic and there isn't a whole lot of selection but what they do, they do well.

I had the spicy chicken wrap, which was served with rustic fried potatoes and a side salad. The chicken was tender and juicy, the salad fresh and the potatoes crisp and not overly greasy like you would imagine. It was a very large portion too, I was planning on getting a dessert but I was stuffed.

My companions had the steak sandwich, the ceaser salad, the chicken supreme and the roast of the day, all of which got rave reviews. We really weren't expecting much, just wanted some simple pub grub but it was one of the nicest meals I'd had in ages.

Hope your not disappointed, enjoy! :)

• Advertisement

It is defiantly worth the trip Toppy, mad though the wine is more than the food but that's normal. Defiantly try the hare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ok so Im back, just about..

Must say for ambience Ivory Towers is spot on.. Such a loverly feeling to the place.

Was delighted walking in that they had a game menu on for €35, 5 courses. Very interesting we had pigeon, hare, venison, and other stuff.. Im debating it was very very nice but as with some stuff there was too much messing done with the food.. The served the venison with this chilli chocolate sauce and it was too heavy.. The rabbit and hare served nice and simply yummie..

The man himself was serving and he was really nice was half expecting him to be a bit of an ass but nope his lovery too..
    I met him before and thought he was very down to earth. Just cos someone is well known does not mean they are assholes.

Mmm I didn't mean it that way just a lot of reviews mentioned that he might be an ass but his not happy days

We bought another grab one voucher this morning, this time for a new place in ballincollig called Rooster Pil Pil. €15 for a €30 voucher. We brought the kids to the cinema and went in after.
    The place is a copy of Nandos, the menu is even the same. Its got restaurant service tho and not the fast food type of service i hate so much in nandos.
    The food was fantastic, 4 different types of marinade available with 4 spice levels of each ranging from mild to very hot.
    We got 2 half chickens with "mild pil pil" on one and "hot mexican" on the other. The chicken was nice and juicy, cooked to perfection. We werent mad about the pil pil flavour but that was a personal preferance and nothing to do with the food. The mexican was delicious tho.
    the kids both had chips and garlic bread with 6 wings or a breast cut into strips. Bots were a fine sized portion with a small dessert included for €5.95.
    in total we had 2 kids meals, 2 mains, 2 teas and 1 adult dessert and it came to €44 so only cost €29 with the voucher. Great value even at full price.
    Its not the kind of place id go to for a big romantic gesture but for simple well cooked food its perfect. Just make sure all your party likes chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Where in Ballincollig is it?

• Advertisement

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Where in Ballincollig is it?
    Next door to drumstix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

.red. wrote: »
    We bought another grab one voucher this morning, this time for a new place in ballincollig called Rooster Pil Pil. €15 for a €30 voucher. We brought the kids to the cinema and went in after.
    The place is a copy of Nandos, the menu is even the same. Its got restaurant service tho and not the fast food type of service i hate so much in nandos.
    The food was fantastic, 4 different types of marinade available with 4 spice levels of each ranging from mild to very hot.
    We got 2 half chickens with "mild pil pil" on one and "hot mexican" on the other. The chicken was nice and juicy, cooked to perfection. We werent mad about the pil pil flavour but that was a personal preferance and nothing to do with the food. The mexican was delicious tho.
    the kids both had chips and garlic bread with 6 wings or a breast cut into strips. Bots were a fine sized portion with a small dessert included for €5.95.
    in total we had 2 kids meals, 2 mains, 2 teas and 1 adult dessert and it came to €44 so only cost €29 with the voucher. Great value even at full price.
    Its not the kind of place id go to for a big romantic gesture but for simple well cooked food its perfect. Just make sure all your party likes chicken.

is the chicken actually marinaded in the spices though? i was so let down with nandos - the chicken is defo not marinaded! the sauce is just put on

sporina wrote: »
    is the chicken actually marinaded in the spices though? i was so let down with nandos - the chicken is defo not marinaded! the sauce is just put on

Maybe, maybe not. It was nice either way. Plenty of flavour.

Got to Hugeunots. 10/10 from me. Could not fault it. Staff were lovely, food was delicious, and for the same money as we paid in coqbull a week before, a million miles away in experience.

Everything was good, steak and chips were great... Nice bit of char on the meat, tasted like it came off a flame, but juicy in the middle. Fish dishes were lovely, duck confit was the stand-out main course for us, fell off the bone. Tarte tatin the winner in desserts.

Very tempted to call into town this evening to try out... For all ye should keep on eye on the Grabone website, picked up a great deal for Oysters €20 for a €40, fine its midweek but still.. It is sold out now but I am sure they will have more

Tried Aroi the other day, have to agree with the previous person here that went and mentioned good value. All the mains are €10, which just can't be faulted. I had chicken cashew which was nice, a little overly salty for me and there were sneaky dried, superhot chilies in there so look out for that. First one nearly made me faint when I accidentally chewed it. Good value, informal, decent Asian food. Not sure I'll be a regular as I often want something more specific (ramen from wabisabi, ginger chicken udon from waga or mongolian lamb from ymy, nom!) but for a quick and cheap mid-week dinner...

Also went to No.5 Fenns Quay again yesterday and it was amazing, as before. I love that place. Had potato and cauliflower spring rolls, collar of bacon with cabbage, parsnip mash and spiced walnuts and finished off with the most delicate dark and light chocolate pannacotta.

Went to the restaurant in Barry's in Douglas recently. Just don't order steak unless you like it medium because that seems to be the only way they cook it, no matter what you order.

I'm really looking forward to trying Huguenots and Aroi though, with all the positive reviews coming out!

Note to everyone :

If your steak doesn't come cooked reasonably close to how you order it, please, please send it back. It's the only way they will learn that it actually matters.

I was in Dingle recently. We ordered 4 rare striploins. We got 4 medium to well done striploins. A very nice (and embarrassed) waitres offered to take them all back. Lucky for the chef 2 of my friends decided, due to being starving, to eat theirs but I'm sure that the 2 wasted steaks and the 4 complimentary coffees were well discussed with the chef.
    Maybe, he/she'll think twice about banging out all steaks cooked medium when it's busy again!

This one size fits all approach to cooking steaks, irrespective of how they are ordered, is far too common in Ireland. We need to let them know that it's not ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Note to everyone :

If your steak doesn't come cooked reasonably close to how you order it, please, please send it back. It's the only way they will learn that it actually matters.

I was in Dingle recently. We ordered 4 rare striploins. We got 4 medium to well done striploins. A very nice (and embarrassed) waitres offered to take them all back. Lucky for the chef 2 of my friends decided, due to being starving, to eat theirs but I'm sure that the 2 wasted steaks and the 4 complimentary coffees were well discussed with the chef.
    Maybe, he/she'll think twice about banging out all steaks cooked medium when it's busy again!

This one size fits all approach to cooking steaks, irrespective of how they are ordered, is far too common in Ireland. We need to let them know that it's not ok.

This happens regulary in Annies. If you want your steak well done, go elsewhere.

northgirl wrote: »
    This happens regulary in Annies. If you want your steak well done, go elsewhere.

Or send it back!
    Once a steak has no pink in it, it is well done.
    Is that what you're after?
    Pretty simple to do but hard to do without drying up the steak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Or send it back!
    Once a steak has no pink in it, it is well done.
    Is that what you're after?
    Pretty simple to do but hard to do without drying up the steak.

I've sent it back, but the ensuing attitude hasn't been worth it!

No pink is exactly what I'm after :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went to Aroi last night, really nice. €10 for a fairly decent good quality portion of thai food is excellent value. I had the Pork Pad Salew, very tasty. All the dishes that I saw been served looked really good. Nice casual dining atmosphere and the staff were extremely welcoming and nice.

Slightly cheaper and much better quality than Ramen.

Note to everyone :

Oh I did send it back! And it came back about 10-15 minutes later slightly less cooked, but still not the way I ordered it. Which I told them, but at this stage my dining companions were half-way through their food and I was starving so I ate it. I did not leave a tip!

rob316 wrote: »
    Went to Aroi last night, really nice. €10 for a fairly decent good quality portion of thai food is excellent value. I had the Pork Pad Salew, very tasty. All the dishes that I saw been served looked really good. Nice casual dining atmosphere and the staff were extremely welcoming and nice.

Slightly cheaper and much better quality than Ramen.

Oooh - that sounds nice! I'd like to pop in for lunch next week...

Oooh - that sounds nice! I'd like to pop in for lunch next week...

I think for lunch they have a special for €10, main, scoop of gelato and coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Went to the East Village for the first time on Saturday and was sorely disappointed. I thought it'd be right up my street because I like SoHo but I wasn't a fan. My chicken burger was dry and bland, with a tiny portion of chips and cost me and the most miserable looking side salad I've ever seen. My friends chicken wings were half cold, half piping hot, which we think means half the portion were sitting under a warmer for a while before we were served, because the restaurant was very quiet. It cost about €14 before I even got a drink which I found to be very overpriced. I left still hungry and very unsatisfied. SoHo portions are bigger and far better quality.

Went to the East Village for the first time on Saturday and was sorely disappointed. I thought it'd be right up my street because I like SoHo but I wasn't a fan. My chicken burger was dry and bland, with a tiny portion of chips and cost me and the most miserable looking side salad I've ever seen. My friends chicken wings were half cold, half piping hot, which we think means half the portion were sitting under a warmer for a while before we were served, because the restaurant was very quiet. It cost about €14 before I even got a drink which I found to be very overpriced. I left still hungry and very unsatisfied. SoHo portions are bigger and far better quality.

Your not paying for quality in the east village, your paying to sit with the cool people!

Two of our friends only eat there if the go out, Im baffled as its so average. Never had a good meal there. Service is a joke and its not good value.
    It's more of a cool spot though than anything else, chances are there are a few "celebs" usually eating there so I think you are paying for the atmosphere and profile.

.red. wrote: »
    Your not paying for quality in the east village, your paying to sit with the cool people!
    rob316 wrote: »
    Two of our friends only eat there if the go out, Im baffled as its so average. Never had a good meal there. Service is a joke and its not good value.
    It's more of a cool spot though than anything else, chances are there are a few "celebs" usually eating there so I think you are paying for the atmosphere and profile.

Really? Why on earth would they eat there? What's so good about East Village?

• Advertisement

LOL. There are no 'celebs' in Cork, let alone Douglas.

Anyway, nearby to douglas, Gogo's does a really nice lunch. Very impressed with it last week. Nice fresh food, served quickly, not too pricey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement