Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excalibur promotionsl - Who do I complain to ?

Options
  • 10-03-2003 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

This is the second time in two weeks I have gotten spam snail mail.The letters are sent in a regular envelope with normal stamp from Dublin.The second letter I got was posted on 03.03.The letter is signed by Excalibur Promotions , po box 4409 , Dublin 15.There is a tiny "opt out" box on the back but I don't want to send this to them as I believe it might just be a way of them verifing you are alive.

Both letters claim I have won a prize and in order to claim it I have to phone a €1.90 a min number. for 4 mins.That's almost €8.00 !

I've scanned in the front and back of this letter and they are available from:
    http://www.dinneen.com/misc/front.jpg
    http://www.dinneen.com/misc/back.jpg

My question is who can I make a formal complaint to ? An Post ? Do they care ? Is there any governent organisation ? Where did they get my address from ?

I could and am thinking of sending big empty boxes to their address without any postage at all , making them pay for receipt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

As long as you are listed on a public, printed source -- such as the voter register, or a phone book -- you can get this kind of mail. Direct marketing of this sort isn't illegal. :mad:

If you are upset at the tiny opt-out, forward a copy to both the Data Protection Commissioner (see www.dataprivacy.ie, also for further info on your rights regarding print solicitations of this sort) and you could complain to the Irish Direct Marketing Association (I think that's their proper title but if not it's similar).

The Data Protection Commissioner's Office has stated it wants opt-outs to be clearer and they must indeed allow you to opt out. I *think* there's a facility for removing yourself from direct mailing lists as well but you must do it regularly or you just get added back on. Perhaps someone has more info.

Karlin Lillington

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to ask direct marketer to remove you from their mailing lists (Data Protection Act?).

Try complaining to the Gardaí for them operating an apparently illegal lottery (they are charging for delivery of prizes). No licence details are given.

Try complaining to the companies involved in the promotion - note they say "Dunnes", not "Dunnes Stores".

Complain to the Companies Registration Office www.cro.ie that they are operating with an unregistered and/or expired trading name.

Alternatively cross out the address and mark (in big letters) the envelope "gone away - return to sender" or "deceased - return to sender" (just don't do it too often or An Post will believe you :)). Make sure this writing "happens" to go through the opt out box.
    PS Should commercial PO numbers be banned?

Advertisement