Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom of information TD replies

Options
  • 12-03-2003 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Any one get any replies from their TDs?

I got these so far:

Following receipt of your recent email, I have contacted my colleague, Ms.
    Mary Hanafin, T.D., Government Chief Whip, on your behalf expressing your
    view in relation to proposed Freedom of Information Amendment Bill.

Yours sincerely

Tom Kitt, T.D.
    Minister for Overseas Development and Human Rights.

&

Thank you for your message.

The amendments proposed by the Government are actually quite minor and will only affect issues which are part of the collective Cabinet responsibility process of Government, uncompleted issues, areas of Parliamentary Questions,records relating to Tribunals, matters relating to political parties, and records concerning security, defence and international relations. There is
    no change to the right of access for individuals to each and every personalofficial record concerning them.

There are real risks to confidential matters of Government that cannot haveany place in being accessed prematurely. There is no absolute right to information. Even the present law recognises that some matters must be kept confidential, a position which is entirely consistent with international
    practice.

With best wishes.

SEAMUS BRENNAN TD
    Minister for Transport

That's all I've got so far.

Advertisement