Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge/Naas to Clonskeagh

Options
  • 13-10-2007 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Just accepted a job in Clonskeagh (Beech Hill Office Campus).
    I know it is a nightmare to get there during the morning hush-hour but was wandering if anyone could suggest what is the best/fastest way to get there from Newbridge?
    Any thought appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

regedit wrote: »
    Just accepted a job in Clonskeagh (Beech Hill Office Campus).
    I know it is a nightmare to get there during the morning hush-hour but was wandering if anyone could suggest what is the best/fastest way to get there. Any thought appreciated.
    1. Helicopter.

2. Ask to work from home some days or for early / late starts.

3. Train to Heuston, route 92 to Leeson Street and 10 / 11 / 46A etc. to Donnybrook Bridge or Clonskeagh Bridge (its possibly quicker to get off before the bridge is traffic is congested). Alternatively some Xpresso buses (25X, 66X, 67X) stop at St. John's Road outside Heuston and operate to UCD.

4. If you drive, you could drive as far as Sandyford and head in the Drummartin Link Road which becomes Roebuck Road and Clonskeagh Road. Note this is in chaos because part of Sandyford road is closed for an extended period.

Alternatively, from the Naas Road (if you survive the M50 roadworks), go through Walkinstown to Templeville Road and Springfield Avenue (along the Dodder) to Rathfarnham. You then have a choice of routes, that you will need to check out to see what works.

An alternative to the Naas Road would be to turn off at some point for the N81. Note there is no right turn from Templeogue Village to Springfield Avenue.

Avoid Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines like the plague.

5. A perverse option, would be to get to the N11 and head inbound by car or bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Victor wrote: »
    1. Helicopter.

2. Ask to work from home some days or for early / late starts.

3. Train to Heuston, route 92 to Leeson Street and 10 / 11 / 46A etc. to Donnybrook Bridge or Clonskeagh Bridge (its possibly quicker to get off before the bridge is traffic is congested).

If you drive, you could drive as far as Sandyford and head in the Drummartin Link Road which becomes Roebuck Road and Clonskeagh Road. Note this is in chaos because part of Sandyford road is closed for an extended period.

Alternatively, from the Naas Road (if you survive the M50 roadworks), go through Walkinstown to Templeville Road and Springfield Avenue (along the Dodder) to Rathfarnham. You then have a choice of routes, that you will need to check out to see what works.

An alternative to the Naas Road would be to turn off at some point for the N81. Note there is no right turn from Templeogue Village to Springfield Avenue.

Avoid Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines like the plague.

Thanks for that.
    Went through Terenure for my interview!
    Left Newbridge at 07:30 sharp. Drove at a good pace and turned in CityWest. Thought that going through Tallaght-Templeogue etc would be faster. I made it in Clonskeagh at 09:28!
    I've heard some advice that hitting the RCR a few minutes early could save you up to 45 minutes.
    The job is flexi so might leave early and try to avoid the chaos.

regedit wrote: »
    I've heard some advice that hitting the RCR a few minutes early could save you up to 45 minutes.
    RCR?

Victor wrote: »
    RCR?

Well, I'm suppose to start in a month so by that tiome, hoping the RCR will reopen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Red Cow Roundabout, I presume.

I used to live in Naas, and some of the neighbours used to say that for every minute you left before 7.30, you would arrive at your destination 3 minutes earlier (so leave at 7.15 and you arrive 45 minutes earlier, etc.) Now that was 2 years ago, and now the road has opened up, it might not apply.

If you don't have to live where you are, I would serious consider moving. Now I drive from west Dublin to Newbridge (40 minutes each way), and the traffic is generally back to Rathcoole from Newlands Cross. You will be spending 4hrs a day in the car. At least. That increases your regular working week by 50%. Alternatively try and start at 7am, or very early so you are on the road before the traffic starts to build.

Of course once the M50 works are finished there will be no more traffic problems. And the moon is made of cheese!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I am planning to start this commute pretty soon, and my plan is to get the train to Heuston and get a fold up bike and cycle from Heuston to Clonskeagh. Seems about the best way imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pffft......your bike won't last a week in Heuston without being stolen if recent threads in cycling forum are anything to go by.

Forget about driving by car, it's realy not an option.

So either:
    1. I don't know if you're a homeowner but don't rule out a flat Monday-Friday
    2. Buy a motorbike (the best option :D)
    3. Get the dirtiest, cheapest looking push bike you can find and use that from Heuston

micmclo wrote: »
    Pffft......your bike won't last a week in Heuston without being stolen if recent threads in cycling forum are anything to go by.

Hence the reason why it's going to be a fold up bike, bring it on the train with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry, missed that :o

Excellent choice, it's a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddyjoe18

Train- Dart- There is a shutter Bus from BH Campus that meets the Dart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnotherHelenD

Some Bus Eireann 126 naas/newbridge buses goe to/from UCD Belfield if thats nearby but I don't know how long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Hi there,
    I also drive Naas to Clonskeagh daily (and have done for several years). It generally takes me an hour give or take each way, going via M50 and dundrum in the mornings, home via Rathfarnham and Tallaght in the evenings.

Thats leaving Naas before 7 (or after 9) in mornings , and leaving Clonskeagh either before 4.30ish or after 6 ish in the evenings.

Obviously when schools are off its a lot quicker.

Apart from the occasional once off, I don't think public transport is feasible on a long term basis for this route tbh. Train-Dart is a 4 leg journey one way, and would be extremely painful , even without any delays anywhere. Even an early bus + 46A/10/11 out would be quicker. (just my opinion though!).

Personally, I find driving by far the easiest option, but I'm lucky in that my job allows flexible hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Some Bus Eireann 126 naas/newbridge buses goe to/from UCD Belfield if thats nearby but I don't know how long it takes.

Yep, it leaves Naas around 6.55/7 I think. You could get out at Donnybrook and its a 10 min walk from there. That bus is not an express though (correct me if I'm wrong) and makes a fair few stops on the way (kill etc). It also goes right into Stephens Green. It can be quite slow, apart from during the summer months.

paddyjoe18 wrote: »
    Train- Dart- There is a shutter Bus from BH Campus that meets the Dart.

The problem with that is that Heuston isn't on the Dart line.

Red Cow Roundabout, I presume.
    Combined with NCR, SCR, KCR and HXR, it can be a little confusing.

NCR - North Circular Road
    SCR - South Circular Road
    KCR - Kimmage Cross Roads
    HXR - Harold's Cross Road

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just take the DART to Stephen's Green and change to Luas green line southbound. Oh wait, .....

Seriously-get a motorcycle. If you're over 25 you can avail of cheap classic insurance (380 per annum) as soon as you pass your test and have 1 years NCB at regular insurance rates. Test is relatively straightforward.
    I commute Clonsilla-Rathfarnham and it takes half an hour at 5pm. I imagine it takes 1.5hrs in a car.

It's also excellent fun.

:)

murphaph wrote: »
    Just take the DART to Stephen's Green and change to Luas green line southbound. Oh wait, .....

Seriously-get a motorcycle. If you're over 25 you can avail of cheap classic insurance (380 per annum) as soon as you pass your test and have 1 years NCB at regular insurance rates. Test is relatively straightforward.
    I commute Clonsilla-Rathfarnham and it takes half an hour at 5pm. I imagine it takes 1.5hrs in a car.

It's also excellent fun.

:)

Thanx Murphaph.
    I think I will stick to my reliale Corolla. Have never been a fan of motorcycle's.
    I got some excellent advise from djsctt on the route he takes and will stick to it for ow I think.
    Also, will have to learn a lot about local roads, backroads etc.

Oh, I updated my post above.

OK, I tried the Clonskeagh to Newbridge part of this yesterday. Left work at 5, made the 5:25 train to Limerick, was in Newbridge just after 6. Not bad going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

No way could you make Clonskeagh - Heuston in 25 mins on a bike! You've got to be some fit guy!

• Advertisement

It's mostly downhill. I do cycle pretty fast though so maybe that's why. I also don't bother going onto the quays, I cut down Thomas St and get to Hueston going down the Luas tracks.

Advertisement