Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains being delayed - should we complain?

Options
  • 06-10-2007 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

The train I get most mornings (sallins to Hueston) is delayed more often than not.

Is there an email address or some way to register the fact without calling the info line ?

Or should I just ignore and hope it gets better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Emails are generally the lazy option to complain.
    Get the address of the MD from the website and send a registered letter.

I can't say if it will change anything but it's the best way to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No, the best way to complain IMO os to join www.railusersireland.org and write to the Dept. of the Taoiseach, DoT and your TDs. IE are controlled by the politicians. Never forget who is really in charge of this shambles. IE do a great job of covering themselves-learned it all from the best in Dail Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Complain often and loudly.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'd go down the router of writing (paper) to your local politician. Remember that he/she will claim responsibility if IE paint the station but yet somehow has no responsibility when things go wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

zod wrote:
    The train I get most mornings (sallins to Hueston) is delayed more often than not.

Is there an email address or some way to register the fact without calling the info line ?

Or should I just ignore and hope it gets better?

In general, if you want a complaint to be taken seriously, you should write. Not phone, not email, but write. Fewer people go to the trouble of it, but email boxes fill with similar whinges. Letters get more attention in most cases. In your case, I would monitor things for three weeks and send in a letter to the MD of IrishRail including a table of each train and how much it was delayed by.

There is a tendency in Ireland to accept things like late trains, buses, aircraft, or to attack the people who can't do anything about it (like ticket sales agents and cleaning staff). This is counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Write to my penpal Richie:
    Mr Richard Fearn, CEO
    Iarnrod Eireann
    Connolly Station
    Dublin 1
    He's okay about writing back. He made me tea one time (at a retirement of a board member). I thanked him for his lovely letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Of course you should complain! The service is crap I travel from Carlow daily and is delayed probably every morning however IE say your not late if its 10 mins after your due to leave. BTW there is no point in writing to politions do you think they care or even read your email/letter? And anyway what can they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

fitzyshea wrote:
    BTW there is no point in writing to politions do you think they care or even read your email/letter? And anyway what can they do?
    I disagree. The public service answer to the politicians. CIE answer to the Department of Transport.
    Write to the Minister for Transport and your local TD. And Richie at Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Exactly, these self serving louses in Dail Eireann always have one (or two) eyes on the next election. Remind them of your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

you should complain to Heuston - Customer Relation Department,Southern and Western,Iarnród Éireann,Heuston Station,Dublin 8. I always write a letter and eventually they reply, i wouldnt bother e-mailing because they usually ignore it. And politicans cant do much either. its a third world service thats a rip off but because IE are guarenteed the money from commuters they dont give a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Re contacting politicans, I have done so in the past and no joy! IE dont care what there customers think or a politicans view either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

so there is no formal complaints department then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

BY all means complain to the MD and anyone else handy but the real culprits are the Government at the end of the day (as Roy Keane might say like)

At present I think IE are doing a much better job given the assets they have, the provision of which is down to under-investment for many years by the Government (s).
    So address one letter to Bertis and another to the Minister for Transport as well as to the MD of IE, and another to the press maybe....

Certainly the Cork line service is light years better....unfortunatley (?) it's sucess is attracting more pasengers back to rail and soon it will get to saturation point and need improving again....those trains look awful short to me everytime I see one.....one whole carrige for heating and baggage and half another for catering ...not many coaches left to sit in then....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote: »
    Certainly the Cork line service is light years better....unfortunatley (?) it's sucess is attracting more pasengers back to rail and soon it will get to saturation point and need improving again....those trains look awful short to me everytime I see one.....one whole carrige for heating and baggage and half another for catering ...not many coaches left to sit in then....
    The thing is, there are twice as many departures.

I agree, but my point is the improved service is so sucessful it looks to me as if it is reaching capacity again on many journeys.....and the trains look shorter to me (are they?)....i think the service is due to be further accelerated when improvements on the Kildare bit are finished.....bringing more passengers no doubt.....

are they
    I think they are, but I'm not sure about seat numbers.

no one could accuse you of being such an anorak as to take seat numbers !:)

no one could accuse you of being such an anorak as to take seat numbers !:)
    Sorry, the quantity of seats per carraige / train. :p

Advertisement