Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new representative organisation?

• 09-09-2012 11:59am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In light of comments made in another active thread, who would support the idea of a break away representative organisation for RDF NCOs and privates?

I've known for quite some time that the RDFRA have been orientated towards officers. If the idea were a runner, I'm sure we could have one NCO/Private from each unit where possible to spread the word, then look into mandating such an organisation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Itzy wrote: »
    In light of comments made in another active thread, who would support the idea of a break away representative organisation for RDF NCOs and privates?

I've known for quite some time that the RDFRA have been orientated towards officers. If the idea were a runner, I'm sure we could have one NCO/Private from each unit where possible to spread the word, then look into mandating such an organisation.

This is how it works.
    The DoD decide having a rep org for other ranks is a good idea. It is legislated for, and formed.
    Not the other way round. To do it the other way round is known as mutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Even if it were possible, what would happen to ye is that the DoD down the line, in a cost saving measure, would decide there is no need for two DF other ranks and two DF officer associations and would merge them respectivly.
    The RDF would lose effective representation.
    Ye're stronger together. Why not get involved and get elected so you can influence RDFRA, rather than publicly calling for mutiny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Also, the Officers are the leaders of the Units, The Managers if you will. no point having a private on the board

The officers are nothing in RDFRA. Being an officer doesn't grant you automatic right to be your units rep or to be on any committee in RDFRA.

That said, when I was in the RDF I don't remember there ever being a vote for who our rep was....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

ruserious wrote: »
    The RDF would lose effective representation.

When have we ever had "effective representation". They've shown themselves up for what they are with silence for a long time, no changes, no info, no service. Then spout some sensationalist letter to enflame opinions and tensions.

What the organization needs is a kick in the hole and a restructure in-line with the new beast that will emerge after re-org.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Also, the Officers are the leaders of the Units, The Managers if you will. no point having a private on the board

Thats utter tosh! There is no rank, thats the point of having a representative org for fe(k sake!!! anyone who goes there and lets someone pull rank on them in their guise as a rep - is a crap rep and needs replacement.

If I had the time i would happily rep my own unit and get involved. I dont so im not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

BigDuffman wrote: »
    When have we ever had "effective representation". They've shown themselves up for what they are with silence for a long time, no changes, no info, no service. Then spout some sensationalist letter to enflame opinions and tensions.

What the organization needs is a kick in the hole and a restructure in-line with the new beast that will emerge after re-org.

RDFRA will be first up against the wall after the revolution re-org :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

look no union does what it says on the tin!! there happy to take your contributions but when it all boils down to it they just take the managements side e.g. siptu. waste of your hard earned cash if ya ask me and i talk from experience on this one!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Spoken like an ossifer would say. I suppose there is no point in having a private on board - he might rock the boat with the other ossifers!

He might be better educated than the ossifers, and they mightn't like that.

His civvy job might mean he is a better manager than some of the ossifers, and they wouldn't like his approach or fresh thinking.

Maybe you're right, the purpose of privates in RDFRA is just for collecting subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

When I was in it, we had an
    RDF Officer,who licked h*le, to be one in the first place, but elected himself as unit rep...
    Totally incompetent in both scenarios,
    The RDFRA shouldn't have been started, rather the reserves should have looked for associate membership of Pdfra...IMO..
    RDFRA certainly doesn't represent the majority of reserves, look at the top dogs in it, middle to auld age officers...
    And I am speaking as a union rep for sixty two people
    the RDFRA fecked by not embracing the integrated concept..reserves would have been the nearest they could have been to the fulltimers, with new kit, doing the IT training, and PDF instructors...
    It was the nearest I became to doing real soldering....
    typical sandbag officers, they didn't back it...
    Glad I left the organisation
    And joined the other reserve...

• Advertisement
Advertisement