Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken dvd drive?

Options
  • 22-10-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi

Tried this in another forum but no reply so thought id try here.

Ok i bought a laptop less than a week ago and in the first 2 days i used the dvd drive thing maybe 12 times between installing software and watching dvds. On the 3rd day it stopped working!

If i try to play through windows media player it says that it does not detect a disk in the drive yet when i put the disk in initially the drive whirrs a bit as if its about to play but then doesnt.

Not the most technologically minded so any advice as to what may be wrong or how to sort the problem would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you play music? Can you install programs? Is it making funny noises?
    If there's something wrong go back to the shop and get it replaced asap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you play music? Can you install programs? Is it making funny noises?
    If there's something wrong go back to the shop and get it replaced asap.

Totally agree.

Bring it back as soon as possible.

If it won't even detect, never mind run any types of file formats, be they .exe, .avi or .bmp, etc... its more clear its the drive that is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Nope no music, no programs, no noise, no anything!
    It just doesnt read any disk in the drive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Back to the legal 3 "R"s then:
    Repair,
    Replace,
    Refund!

The sooner you get back to them the better your legal standing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Hi i hate to keep going on about this but just gave pc world a buzz and they said theyd either fix it there and then or give me a replacement.

Now does anyone know how likely it is that they'l be able to fix this kind of problem as i wait?

You see the laptop is set up exactly as i want it with programs files preferences etc and to be given a replacement would be a nightmare.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

GO 2 2EURO SHOP ,or maplins/tv shop get dvd lens cleaning kit ,use it to clean the lens,open dvd drawer ,leave open ,let the lens dry 4 20mins.USE only a small amount of cleaning fluid ,1or 2 drops.DOES the drive show up in my computer as dvd drive?IT could have picked up a tiny bit of dirt/dust from a disk,which is enough to stop the lens reading.
    YOU need to clean it 3 times.MOST 2euro shops have a kit in the hardware or tv av acessorys section along with headphones cds etc.

Advertisement