Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Women in WW1

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Does anyone know of any interesting cases or stories of Irish women who participated in WW1 (in whatever capacity)?

The roles of Irish men are obviously more documented, but I know some Irish women did contribute, as doctors or nurses in many cases, and I'd love to find out more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the 1916 Rebellion Handbook lists a number of women who participated on both sides as well as civilians who were embroiled. Margaret Skinnider and Mary Norway's books are available as e-books at :

http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_search/search010hstirelandrebellion1916a.asp

One book that lists a number of individual women is "Ireland and the Great War: 'A War to Unite Us All'?"

Aileen Chevallier Preston from Armagh was the first woman to pass the AA Certificate of Driving, opened a driving school for women in London, drove Mrs Pankhurst to suffragette meetings and later drove ambulances at the front. Her brother Raphael Chevallier Preston was in the Royal Engineers and later the RFC/RAF.

I believe that Marjorie Scholefield from Rathgar was in charge of the WRAF in Ireland but have yet to confirm this. She married Alfred Iredell who was principal RAF medical officer in Dublin with No 11 Group; he later became Air Vice Marshal Sir Alfred Iredell. Finding information about Marjorie Scholefield and the WRAF in Ireland has been a fairly fruitless bit of research.

A list or nurses killed/died in WW1 is on a memorial in Belfast
    http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/showPicture.php?pictureID=1972

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wunsquurr

Thanks Johnny!

That's really helpful. I particularly hadn't heard of Aileen Chevalier Preston, that's really interesting.

Would you know of any diaries, letter ir first hand accounts by these women or similar women? I've been trying to find articles written by Irish women during the war, but so far I've come up with little, other than the diary of Mary Martin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Worker Kate Irwin's grave in Mount Jerome has always intrigued me, dying as she did a couple of weeks following the Armistice. One of these days I will look up death notices, newspapers etc. and find out what happened her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

wunsquurr wrote: »

Would you know of any diaries, letter ir first hand accounts by these women or similar women?

unfortunately I don't. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

My mind has gone blank - I am trying to remember the name of a book (published in the last 2 years I'd say) about Irish women in the wars/WW1 - the title is very close to my description. it was edited by 2 women - i think one was a Gillian and I have an idea one was Scottish/had scottisH surname but I just cannot remember/trace it. I have seen the book so I know it is not a figment of my imagination! Can anyone advise?
    Many thanks.

I have remembered: Irish Women at War: The Twentieth Century!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Ina Boyle in Enniskerry was 25 when World War One began. As cousins and neighbours lost their lives in the war, she responded by composing music. This included a setting for voice and piano, of Rudyard Kipling’s ‘My boy Jack.’ You can read more here;

http://enniskerryhistory.org/home/index.php/archives/2947

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The NLI had a WWI series of talks recently, and if I remember correctly there was one on the women's war effort. Here's a link to the programme: http://www.nli.ie/en/list/current-events.aspx?article=799f3bbc-2e8e-47db-b7e2-82d3ec4989e6

ETA: Just realized that this thread is from last year! Sorry! :o

Advertisement