Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish soldiers doing courses in america

Options
  • 30-09-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

does this happen? i know alot of foreign students (mostly nato) attend ranger school and other such courses in the us and wondered how come ireland doesnt run with these. ive heard of the wing going over and of others doing courses in the u.k. so the links have to be there for it.

is there any legal reasons not to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The PDF regularly attend courses that are conducted outside of the state, officers and other ranks included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

benwavner wrote: »
    The PDF regularly attend courses that are conducted outside of the state, officers and other ranks included.

If you get an cosantoir and go through the issues you'll find that there are occasional write ups about courses conducted outside the state... the last article I recall covered an Irish student who attended the "senior brecon" or the battle sergeants course conducted by the British Army.

neilled wrote: »
    If you get an cosantoir and go through the issues you'll find that there are occasional write ups about courses conducted outside the state... the last article I recall covered an Irish student who attended the "senior brecon" or the battle sergeants course conducted by the British Army.

True, I know the guy very well, we served at home and abroad and trained recruits together. He is the oldest soldier of any military to pass the course. Only in his mid 30's too.

Hundreads of soldiers go abroad to do courses each year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

c-90 wrote: »
    does this happen? i know alot of foreign students (mostly nato) attend ranger school and other such courses in the us and wondered how come ireland doesnt run with these. ive heard of the wing going over and of others doing courses in the u.k. so the links have to be there for it.

is there any legal reasons not to?

Irish officers have attended courses in the US since the 1920s. The Irish army cadet school was founded by officers who had been to the US.
    General MJ Costello attended the US Army's Command and Staff College at Fort Leavenworth from 1926 to 1927. He was appointed to be head of the Military College in Ireland in 1933.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

i know of soldiers going to switerland to learn and test the mowag apc before purchasing. also officers and ncos going over to uk to do the recce commanders course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

thanks i didnt think it went on as much as it seem to!

how does a person get on a foreign course, would they request it through theyre own unit or would the foreign state have to be invite students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I think the Late C.o.S Lt Gen Earley attended the Ranger School in the US.
    It happens so often it doesn't make the news, nor should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

c-90 wrote: »
    thanks i didnt think it went on as much as it seem to!

how does a person get on a foreign course, would they request it through theyre own unit or would the foreign state have to be invite students?
    the student would be picked for the course tat needs to be completed. For the mowag.s 22person.s went over to learn all the operating procedures ranging from high ranking officers to a young fitter to learn the in.s and out.s from every point of view. And generally if people are sent abroad its a young officer or senior NCO to go over to learn wit a view to teaching other instructors wit in the defence forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Thats usually part of the contract when equipment is bought.

deckycoop wrote: »
    the student would be picked for the course tat needs to be completed. For the mowag.s 22person.s went over to learn all the operating procedures ranging from high ranking officers to a young fitter to learn the in.s and out.s from every point of view. And generally if people are sent abroad its a young officer or senior NCO to go over to learn wit a view to teaching other instructors wit in the defence forces.

That instance would be part of the tender. Not strictly a course.

All courses are dependant on the DF budget. A certain amount is allocated to "Overseas Courses". The DF have a database of courses that they wish to send personnel on, there are various reasons why the will go.

Our Department liases with other countries Govts Department to see what courses they are running and that have room for external students. Once the other country agrees that they have room for an Irish soldier, the course is advertised and people can apply. Some people are directly hand picked for certain courses, there will be no application process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement