Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain Websites wont load.

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭

Right Folks im starting to have problems accessing some sites.I cant get on to the Ryanair booking section of the site.I cant get onto the Itunes store either.The page starts to loads and then it just stops, and the screen goes blank.

Ive tried using Internet explorer,Mozilla and Google chroome.Still no Joy with any of them.

My internet is the O2 Broadband usb verision.
    Im using AVG free as my security.
    My computer make is a Medion E6210 and im opearting on Windows Vista.The laptop is only about 7 months old.

Pleas any solutions to this problem or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 zippy1979

its it only these websites you cant get in ?
    its probably just a slow broadband connection try it again in an hr see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

zippy1979 wrote: »
    its it only these websites you cant get in ?
    its probably just a slow broadband connection try it again in an hr see if that works
    yeah mate just these two.Ive tried again and ive still had no success.Ive cleared my history and cookies and the whole works and still no joy.

Any other solutions please any one???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

could you please go to:

Start;
    Run;
    Type "Cmd.exe" into the run box.
    In the black page that opens type "Ping www.ryanair.com" copy and paste the results here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are the problematic sites addresses starting with http:\ or https:\?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ronan>"Ping www.ryanair.com"
    '"Ping www.ryanair.com"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Ronan>"Ping www.ryanair.com"

Is that any help to you mate.Thanx for your response.

Sorry mods for putting it in the wrong place.Ws unsure where ti put it.

The ryanair website is http and i dont no what the itunes one is because to get to the itunes store i have to use itunes and i dont no how to find out what one is it..

thanx for your response.

ok ive just tried using https and it comes up grand for me..Thanx so much.But ive still a problem with accessing the itunes store through itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have you installed any new software ?

Has this been a common problem from when you bought the lap top?

Well about a week ago i bought a new ipod and installed itunes for the first time ever but thats the only thing thats been installed on the computer.

This problem has only being going out a few days now.

Since ive got the computer in Feb, i havnt had a problem with it at all.Its been great.

• Advertisement

Well then there's a great chance you problem is being caused by the iTunes Bonjour Service.

Remove Bonjour in the add remove programs section of the Control Panel & restart your machine.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I think the iTunes problem is too do with your firewall.

Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.

In the left pane, click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select the check box next to the program you want to allow, and then click OK.

I.E

Look threw the list too see if iTunes is there.

If it is make sure there is a tick beside it so you can rule out a firewall problem..

Done that MSG and still no luck mate..

Also in reply to the other post i removed bonjuer and still no luck either..

Puzzling ehh..

Hummm.

Maybe AVG is blocking access. Try disabling your software for a moment (could need a restart) and try iTunes again.

Was iTunes shown in the list I mentioned above?

Goto,

START

COMPUTER

paste the following line into the Computer address bar

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

See if any of the sites you are having trouble with are listed there.

If any of them are? highlight the relevant line(s) & delete them.

-

Edit, AVG dose not feature a firewall in the free edition.

Yep Itunes was ticked...

How do i go about disabling AVG??? sorry im not very good on the techinical side of the computers.

Nope nothing in the address bar either.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Yep Itunes was ticked...

How do i go about disabling AVG??? sorry im not very good on the techinical side of the computers.

No need to disable.

Is iTunes giving you any error by any chance and what version are you running?

Nope nothing in the address bar either.

The address bar is where you paste the line into, you have to hit enter then & it should give you the option to open the Host file.

Choose Notepad to open the file.

-

• Advertisement

Goto,

START

COMPUTER

paste the following line into the Computer address bar

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

See if any of the sites you are having trouble with are listed there.

If any of them are? highlight the relevant line(s) & delete them.

-

This is what i got when i done what you said to do..

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

::1 localhost

msg11 wrote: »
    No need to disable.

Is iTunes giving you any error by any chance and what version are you running?

Nope its not giving me a error at all..its loading up but when it gets half way it stops and nothing happens..Ive unistalled it and reinstalled it about 4 times over the past week and still no success..

Im running the very lastest verision which is 9.01..Been in contact with Apple too but they were no help at all..Told me to uninstall it and reinstall it and ive done it but still no sucess.

Bump Any one with any more help.

Maybe getting in touch with o2 and explain your problem. Read before Router firmware could need an upgrade..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

O2 are blocking some sites based on IWF data, mainly filesharing and imagehosting sites. May or may not be your problem, you should be getting a blockpage informing you if it is being blocked.

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6034

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055678122

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Right Folks im starting to have problems accessing some sites.I cant get on to the Ryanair booking section of the site.I cant get onto the Itunes store either.The page starts to loads and then it just stops, and the screen goes blank.

Ive tried using Internet explorer,Mozilla and Google chroome.Still no Joy with any of them.

My internet is the O2 Broadband usb verision.
    Im using AVG free as my security.
    My computer make is a Medion E6210 and im opearting on Windows Vista.The laptop is only about 7 months old.

Pleas any solutions to this problem or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I had problems like this on vista including all microsoft sites

I aint no genius but I had the same problem and tried many things including
    -Checking hosts file in notepad to see if sites wer listed
    -using malwarebytes to see if there was malware
    -going to safe mode and networking to see if I could access the sites in safe mode therefore some startup programme blocking sites
    -change back from static ip to automatic one

what it was in the end was my MTU was set wrong on my modem. If you are using PPPoE in your connection settings on your modem it is said on some help sites your MTU should be 1492. Mine was 1500. I changed this on the modem, reset it, and I can access these sites now.
    please if you are doing this remember to track your changes so you can change it back if it doesnt work.
    best of luck

Advertisement