Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of speed limit at glen of the downs? Is it a trap.

• 06-09-2014 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me anything about that 80km sign outside the garden centre. Is it just a warning telling us that we are coming to a 80km limit. Or is it that it is now a new speed limit. Because if it is a new speed limit why don't they put a proper sign up. If you come along there at night and the lights have gone on the Sign you won't know anything about the speed limit. And if the speed cam is waiting for you how are you going to explain that you did not see any sign. If the sign was permanent like the regular ones then you would know about it. (Is it just a trap!!!):confused:

Since putting up this post this is what I've learned. The lit up sign by the garden centre is a warning that there is a 80km limit up ahead. The speed limit before the bends is 100km. Anyone disagree.!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Samhradhs

That has been there since the road opened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is different about this sign compared to any other sign?

Won't your headlight reflect off it at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There used to be a fixed sign on the barrier indicating that it was 80, no trap.

Drops for the bend then goes back to 100 once you're on the straight in the Glen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

How can it be a trap when you actually know what the limit is regardless of the signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reggaeman

Victor wrote: »
    What is different about this sign compared to any other sign?

Won't your headlight reflect off it at night?

Well I know it's 80km coming up to the bend and then 100 there after. But that one outside the garden place works on a light' if it's off then no headlight is going to show it up as it won't be there.

• Advertisement

Samhradhs wrote: »
    That has been there since the road opened!

It's only gone up recently. It works on electricity or battery and if it is not working then it won't show the speed. I though it was a temp works sign ' but no works has taken place. So my point was that if this is a new speed limit then it must be visible!! At all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye it's a big works display panel lighting up 80km about 400m before the already existing 80km sign. Very strange and pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These signs are rented and cost quite a bit.

That 1 is warning you of 80km speed limit ahead.

The 1 after shows a left arrow as a warning of bend in road.

On the other side also 1 shows arrow for bend but only works sometimes during the day as not enough light getting to solar panel as its under the trees.

Only seen 1 set of skid marks southbound since they improved the surface grip and added reflectors.

Cops do speed check out of parking area in on left sometimes heading south.

These signs are rented and cost quite a bit.

That 1 is warning you of 80km speed limit ahead.

The 1 after shows a left arrow as a warning of bend in road.

On the other side also 1 shows arrow for bend but only works sometimes during the day as not enough light getting to solar panel as its under the trees.

Only seen 1 set of skid marks southbound since they improved the surface grip and added reflectors.

Cops do speed check out of parking area in on left sometimes heading south.

Thanks. I also believed like you that it is a warning that there is a speed of 80km ahead .but last night as I went past the bus stop on the left a speed cam flashed me. So now I'm in limbo over this. Will have to wait and see what the postman brings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

It was always 80KPH for that stretch.. just not emphasized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

reggaeman wrote: »
    Thanks. I also believed like you that it is a warning that there is a speed of 80km ahead .but last night as I went past the bus stop on the left a speed cam flashed me. So now I'm in limbo over this. Will have to wait and see what the postman brings.

I think they are highlighting the speed as there was so many crashes.

I think the signs are just before that point I should know as drive it every day but them flash for cash vans are always hidden there.

Also parked up just before enniskerry exit heading north/dublin.

I would say a present is in the post.

The other thing with those vans is most of them no longer flash.

Advertisement