Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght to Nutgrove 75 Bus route

• 30-08-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I'm new to Dublin, how reliable is this route? im living in Tallaght square which bus stop is best for me to go to? I've being using Dublin bus app and and the time seems to not match real time on timetable! I've work in nutgrove for 9:30 would being at bus stop in tallaght for 8 get me there in plenty time?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The 75 is a notoriously unreliable bus route, tends to get caught in a lot of traffic which makes the schedule hard to judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm new to Dublin, how reliable is this route? im living in Tallaght square which bus stop is best for me to go to? I've being using Dublin bus app and and the time seems to not match real time on timetable! I've work in nutgrove for 9:30 would being at bus stop in tallaght for 8 get me there in plenty time?

Thank you!

You can either wait at the bus-stop opposite The Square, outside the Euro-shop, or outside Tallaght Hospital (that one may be handier for you).

There's a bus at 8:20am or one at 8:50pm, which leave The Square.
    If I were you I'd get the 8:20am one..allowing for traffic.
    The 8:50am is pushing it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

fussyonion wrote: »
    You can either wait at the bus-stop opposite The Square, outside the Euro-shop, or outside Tallaght Hospital (that one may be handier for you).

There's a bus at 8:20am or one at 8:50pm, which leave The Square.
    If I were you I'd get the 8:20am one..allowing for traffic.
    The 8:50am is pushing it a bit.

I live just opposite the square i take it all bus stops are reliable none above another? the one by euro shop will probably be handiest for me! Thank you! dreading this bus everyone says how unreliable it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I live just opposite the square i take it all bus stops are reliable none above another? the one by euro shop will probably be handiest for me! Thank you! dreading this bus everyone says how unreliable it is!

No, it's very reliable. A relative of mine gets it every day to Nutgrove and has done for the past seven years.
    If you're too early for work, have a coffee in Nutgrove or McDonalds or something. Rather be too early than too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

fussyonion wrote: »
    No, it's very reliable. A relative of mine gets it every day to Nutgrove and has done for the past seven years.
    If you're too early for work, have a coffee in Nutgrove or McDonalds or something. Rather be too early than too late.

Don't be in a hurry, though, especially when school traffic is factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tails142 wrote: »
    The 75 is a notoriously unreliable bus route, tends to get caught in a lot of traffic which makes the schedule hard to judge

This is utter rubbish.

Since the timetable was recast in 2009 the 75 has been very reliable.

OP in the morning it should take no more than 45 minutes to get to Nutgrove.

The 08:20 departure from The Square will have you there with lots of time to spare.

lxflyer wrote: »
    This is utter rubbish.

Since the timetable was recast in 2009 the 75 has been very reliable.

OP in the morning it should take no more than 45 minutes to get to Nutgrove.

The 08:20 departure from The Square will have you there with lots of time to spare.

The unpredictable part is just how jesusing slow it is from the Orchard through the Yellow House and towards Nutgrove. No timetable can be 100% reliable when school traffic banjaxes bus users.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The unpredictable part is just how jesusing slow it is from the Orchard through the Yellow House and towards Nutgrove. No timetable can be 100% reliable when school traffic banjaxes bus users.

Of course no bus timetable is completely robust, but to suggest that the 75 is unreliable is pure nonsense.

Of course it takes longer at peak times - off-peak it can take 30 minutes to Nutgrove, and peak times up to 45. But in general, each departure is consistent from one day to the next (excepting the changeover from when the schools come back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭cobham

One of my kids had to get to work in Tallaght starting in Stillorgan. She chose to take bus into city centre and then the Luas out to Tallaght.... using the travel card that allowed a second trip within so many minutes of the first on same fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

cobham wrote: »
    One of my kids had to get to work in Tallaght starting in Stillorgan. She chose to take bus into city centre and then the Luas out to Tallaght.... using the travel card that allowed a second trip within so many minutes of the first on same fare.

Those are only for bus and bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah to be fair to the 75 I haven't taken it in about 10 years but I used to take it from Ballinteer to Stillorgan a fair bit for a few years and it was a disaster back then especially on Sundays.

Probably an improved service now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭cobham

That 75 bus route seems to still go a very circuitous route. Sorry my daughter preferred the certainty of a frequent bus service in out out of city centre rather than risk going for the 75 and then being stuck at awkward location to get an alternative bus route if it did not turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tails142 wrote: »
    Yeah to be fair to the 75 I haven't taken it in about 10 years but I used to take it from Ballinteer to Stillorgan a fair bit for a few years and it was a disaster back then especially on Sundays.

While DB has their faults, to condemn one of their services as 'notoriously unreliable' based on your experiences 10 years go is pretty reckless.

It's your input to this thread which was 'notoriously unreliable'

cobham wrote: »
    That 75 bus route seems to still go a very circuitous route. Sorry my daughter preferred the certainty of a frequent bus service in out out of city centre rather than risk going for the 75 and then being stuck at awkward location to get an alternative bus route if it did not turn up.

The 75 like other orbital routes serves major population centres and major traffic generators. That's how these bus routes generate enough backsides on seats to be viable. Are you suggesting perhaps that Ballinteer residents (who are heavy users) should be deprived of their orbital service, as I'm assuming it's that section that you are referring to?

Surely RTPI would provide the information that she needed?

As pointed out above the Travel 90 ticket is valid only on Dublin Bus and not LUAS, so I'm not sure how that trip would be any faster going via town.

Tallaght-Stillorgan is 1 hour 10 in peak and 50 minutes off-peak maximum on the 75.

coylemj wrote: »
    While DB has their faults, to condemn one of their services as 'notoriously unreliable' based on your experiences 10 years go is pretty reckless.

It's your input to this thread which was 'notoriously unreliable'

Are you saying that a poster's personal experience was factually inaccurate?

Are you saying that a poster's personal experience was factually inaccurate?

Posting experiences from over ten years ago without stating that qualification could render the post as potentially misleading, which it clearly was.

The route is NOT unreliable - I use it regularly (and not from the terminus) and have no issues with predicting when buses will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

Got the bus monday, first day schools are back! bus was meant to collect at 8:20 but arrived at 8:22 ;)
    got there within 40 mins! so far not bad!! thanks for answers everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I went to take this bus from Ballinteer to Tallaght this morning, the bus that never arrived....what I would like to know if the service is spaced out to be every 20 minutes why there isn't a bus arriving at each stop approx every 20 to 30 minutes? Yes morning traffic will always hinder things, but why, according to the app were there two 75's due to arrive at the same time (45 minutes after I landed at the stop) and why aren't they spaced out at a decent interval so you're not standing there for an age without any hope of the bus arriving. In the end I had to call someone to come and get me and drive me to the red line luas to get to work. Dublin Bus, not a reliable way to get to where you want, on every route anyway.... and that is why I would never consider commuting by bus. Standing like a tool for 45 minutes for nothing and then had to resort to a lift cos the time of arrival on the app just kept getting longer....desperate.

What time was this at?

There is a time where two buses do travel together from roughly Ballinteer onwards due to the first one operating via Sandyford Industrial Estate. The next bus then catches up on the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

lxflyer wrote: »
    What time was this at?

There is a time where two buses do travel together from roughly Ballinteer onwards due to the first one operating via Sandyford Industrial Estate. The next bus then catches up on the first one.

Yep looks like it was those two, the first one that I was looking at is at (EDIT) 6.50, the second one at 7.20....I was at the stop from 7.25 until 8.10... then I abandoned ship as the app said it would be there in 26 mins time at 7.30, and then the time kept getting longer and longer....it's not the kind of thing you need to be dealing with at that hour of the morning.

• Advertisement

The 06:50 can be in Ballinteer as early as 07:20 if it gets a good run. It sounds like you just missed it.

The 07:20 and 07:35 tend to arrive between 07:55 and 08:05 and can show up together - the problem as I say is that the first one serves Sandyford Industrial Estate while the second doesn't, plus traffic builds up.

So the 75 is in the tranche of routes that will be tendered for. Any update on this?

So the 75 is in the tranche of routes that will be tendered for. Any update on this?

There won't be until next year.

The contracts won't commence until Q4 2016.

Advertisement