Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann Compensation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

So in the example used above a tourist from the US is expected to read all details on the dublin bus website?..do you realise how absurd this is.

No more absurd than expecting bus drivers to identify US tourists as they approach a stop and work out if they don't know the rule or are just standing close to a bus stop. Maybe buses should stop at every stop just in case, or maybe just when someone with plaid trousers is nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

IRcolm wrote: »
    No, initially they said that it had stopped and sold tickets, but others complained which meant that there was obviously some mix up on their end.

I wonder was this them just fobbing you off or was it the response they got from the driver when they asked why he didn't stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

cdebru wrote: »
    No more absurd than expecting bus drivers to identify US tourists as they approach a stop and work out if they don't know the rule or are just standing close to a bus stop. Maybe buses should stop at every stop just in case, or maybe just when someone with plaid trousers is nearby.

In the example being talked about the tourist was stood at a stop with a suitcase on a route served by one bus that goes to the airport. Your talking about an imaginary scenario which is fundamentally different to what's being discussed to harvest thanks from the dublin bus sympathisers/drivers on this thread.

I know the "rules will be rules" line will be trotted out but with all due respect its crap and if drivers want to hide behind the rules to not provide a better service by applying common sense then criticism has to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In the example being talked about the tourist was stood at a stop with a suitcase on a route served by one bus that goes to the airport. Your talking about an imaginary scenario which is fundamentally different to what's being discussed.

I know the "rules will be rules" line will be trotted out but with all due respect its crap and if drivers want to hide behind the rules to not provide a better service by applying common sense then criticism has to be expected.

Eh no - read the original post again.
    I had a guest from the US stay with me recently, he was on his way to the city from my place to get another bus to the airport.

That could be anywhere in the city!

As I said above - putting your hand out to hail a bus is standard the world over.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Eh no - read the original post again.

That could be anywhere in the city!

As I said above - putting your hand out to hail a bus is standard the world over.

Your confused at which post im referring to.

Originally Posted by Muahahaha
    I had a guest from the US stay with me recently, he was on his way to the city from my place to get another bus to the airport. He was running late but got to the Dublin Bus stop on time but when the bus came it didnt stop because he was the only person at the stop and he didnt know he had to put his hand out. The thing was though the stop he was standing at only has one bus route that actually stops at it. So even though he didnt put his hand out the driver still would have seen a tourist with a suitcase standing at a stop where only the route of his bus stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I had a guest from the US stay with me recently, he was on his way to the city from my place to get another bus to the airport. He was running late but got to the Dublin Bus stop on time but when the bus came it didnt stop because he was the only person at the stop and he didnt know he had to put his hand out. The thing was though the stop he was standing at only has one bus route that actually stops at it. So even though he didnt put his hand out the driver still would have seen a tourist with a suitcase standing at a stop where only the route of his bus stops.

No you're confused - he wasn't standing at a stop served by a bus to the airport as you suggested in post #34 . He was going to the city to catch to another bus to the airport, which means he could have been absolutely anywhere in the city.

The point I'm making is that regardless of where you are, you always put your hand out to hail a bus - that is standard the world over. I live on a section of route served by one route only, but I and everyone else along that section always hail the driver. People do stand at/around bus stops even when they don't actually want the bus - I've seen that frequently enough.

Bus drivers will in general slow down if they see someone at a stop, but if a person at a stop makes no move to indicate that they want the bus, then I don't see why they would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he's not. he's telling you putting out your hand to signal the bus to stop is done all over the world. whether it is or not i don't know, but thats how its done here in dublin. rules are rules. if stop bus want. hand out put

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No you're confused - he wasn't standing at a stop served by a bus to the airport as you suggested in post #34 . He was going to the city to catch to another bus to the airport, which means he could have been absolutely anywhere in the city.

The point I'm making is that regardless of where you are, you always put your hand out to hail a bus - that is standard the world over. I live on a section of route served by one route only, but I and everyone else along that section always hail the driver. People do stand at/around bus stops even when they don't actually want the bus - I've seen that frequently enough.

Bus drivers will in general slow down if they see someone at a stop, but if a person at a stop makes no move to indicate that they want the bus, then I don't see why they would stop.

Take away the airport bit and my point remains the same, your aware of the "rule" this tourist clearly was not.

we are going round in circles and clearly not going to agree on this so lets move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Take away the airport bit and my point remains the same, your aware of the "rule" this tourist clearly was not.

we are going round in circles and clearly not going to agree on this so lets move on.

Maybe we could take the North Korean example and appoint a personal minder to each visitor.

Or and this is completely off the wall but maybe people shouldn't assume that things work the same here as they do in their own country and they should make it their business to find out and not assume that everyone else will change the system to suit you.

People with suitcases regularly stand at bus stops all along the swords road, some are waiting for taxis, have got off a bus and are waiting for a lift , etc etc

cdebru wrote: »
    Maybe we could take the North Korean example and appoint a personal minder to each visitor.

Or and this is completely off the wall but maybe people shouldn't assume that things work the same here as they do in their own country and they should make it their business to find out and not assume that everyone else will change the system to suit you.

People with suitcases regularly stand at bus stops all along the swords road, some are waiting for taxis, have got off a bus and are waiting for a lift , etc etc

North korea?.. you seem a bit annoyed with my opinion and continue to try and introduce things to the discussion which are not relevant,Where did i propose changing the system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement