Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card when changing from intercity to DART in Connolly?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I live in Sligo but frequently make trips to Dublin and make use of both the bus and DART and so would like to start using my Student Travelcard as a Leap card when I'm in the city as I frequently find myself with the wrong change for the bus, etc.

I frequently travel to Dun Laoghaire via DART by just changing platforms at Connolly when the Sligo train comes in but what I'm wondering is can I use my Student Travelcard to tag on without leaving through the barriers at connolly then having to come back through again, as I understand you have to tag on before you tag off so I assume I can't just hop on the DART and then tag off in Dun Laoghaire without first tagging on.

Hope someone can explain this to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe there's a tag on point on Platform 5 for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

No there isnt

.You will have to go through the barriers with your ticket from the Sligo train and then tag on at the barriers and tag off at your destination.

Why not just get a student ticket to Dunlaoghaire from Sligo and then use the Leap card for any other travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    No there isnt

.You will have to go through the barriers with your ticket from the Sligo train and then tag on at the barriers and tag off at your destination.

Why not just get a student ticket to Dunlaoghaire from Sligo and then use the Leap card for any other travel?

Because it adds on 8.50 (return) onto the return student fare. Pretty sure a split ticket would be cheaper in this case as it's not 4.25 on leap from Connolly to Dún Laoighre one way, it's 2.35. You also don't get capping etc on the money you pay for an Irish Rail point to point ticket.

Cross-line ticketing needs to be looked at as there are serious gaps. Kilkenny - Castleknock is the same as Kilkenny - Dublin (Heuston) whereas Kilkenny-Blackrock is more expensive. Whether Castleknock is too cheap or Blackrock too expensive I'm not sure...

OP, if you really didn't want to walk all the way to the Ticket Machines which are quite a whole away you could always buy a Connolly to Dún Laoighre ticket in Sligo from the booking office. You'd get split tickets so a bit cheaper than the one student ticket, although not as cheap as leap and without capping.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    No there isnt
    There certainly used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Well there isnt one now and hasnt been for the last 2 years. You sure you havent mixed it up with the help line point?

• Advertisement

I'm in the same situation as you OP. I'm a student that travels on the Sligo-Dublin train and then most days I go on to Landsdowne Road on the DART. Have to go in and out of the turnstiles at Connolly each time which seems a bit silly. Was there any reason given for removing the validator on platform 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

possibly Dart passengers were using to to tag off and then couldn't get out through the turnstiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

loyatemu wrote: »
    possibly Dart passengers were using to to tag off and then couldn't get out through the turnstiles?

But surely they couldn't make the validator on the platform 'tag-on' only? I'm sure it isn't that difficult to do, just refuse cards that are already tagged on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ryanch09 wrote: »
    But surely they couldn't make the validator on the platform 'tag-on' only? I'm sure it isn't that difficult to do, just refuse cards that are already tagged on.

All the poles do both Tag on and tag off.

It's only the gates with the alternating setting. For Tag off as you exit and On as you enter.

However, if you tag off, without a tag on, it'll tag you on, with no way to actually tag off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The reverse of the same gate within a few minutes should cancel a tag but I don't know how to do it with poles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MYOB wrote: »
    The reverse of the same gate within a few minutes should cancel a tag but I don't know how to do it with poles

Not if you tag off without a tag on at a gate.

Advertisement