Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a website

Options
  • 18-06-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Can anyone help me out?

I want to set up a website. I have bought my domain name and I have a word press account, Do I need a host? The website is going to advertise services for profit(hopefully) I have it figured out, but I have never built a website before, so I am a bit lost. Is word press all I need?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Get hosting with Blacknight and just install Wordpress through the Control Panel.

Very simple and lots of people including Blacknight here to help.

Maybe even chat with them beforehand as they have a forum on Boards.ie

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/375

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Yes, you can do it all on Wordpress.com if you want.
    You can initially set the site up as mysite.wordpress.com this is free.
    Then go into the store and point your domain at the wordpress site. So it can then be mysite.com.
    Easy enough.
    Ive never done this, just seen the buttons on wordpress.com as i have lots of mysite.wordpress.com sites.
    But it should be very easy. Surely someone else has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LolaJayne

Thanks Warrenaldo,

I am finding my way around word press ok, I didn't know if I needed a host for my website to show up on the internet.

I will continue with wordpress.

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Get your own hosting and domain name and install WordPress on that. It's not too expensive at less than €100 per annum, so worth investing properly in your business. Getting a site hosted on wordpress.com while free is poor value: limited functionality, doesn't support full email, less than ideal domain name ie. looks a bit amateur...

Don't forget there are loads and loads of WP tutorials on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

If you have your own PC, then you are better off downloading WAMP (Google wampserver), and creating your website locally. This will allow you to troubleshoot any issues and get it working properly.
    Once you have the website working on your own PC, then look at paying for hosting. There are loads of options out there. If you look (and pay) for hosting at the start, you're only going to waste money while developing your website as that will take time, especially for a newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

If you have your own PC, then you are better off downloading WAMP (Google wampserver), and creating your website locally. This will allow you to troubleshoot any issues and get it working properly.
    Once you have the website working on your own PC, then look at paying for hosting. There are loads of options out there. If you look (and pay) for hosting at the start, you're only going to waste money while developing your website as that will take time, especially for a newbie!

keyword newbie.

Pointless advising someone who needs help with hosting to install WAMP locally as its way over there head. Just to save about 8 euro.

Go straight for the hosting and use the control Panel to install Wordpress. Could be online in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

I've heard of too many people who have spent money on a domain name and a years hosting, and then done nothing with it to say that it's just 8 euros.
    Why throw away any money if you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a plan once online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why throw away any money if you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a plan once online?

Given the tiny sums involved I can't think of a better way of learning.

The OP already has a Wordpress.com account which isn't a bad starting point. From there a good move is to your own hosted WordPress website.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

I know from experience, if you haven't built a website before it can be daunting. But there are plenty of tutorials online, there are some great videos on youtube. I think you should try to learn as mush as possible so you can make your website yourself rather than paying someone to make it for you. I hope it goes well but if it doesn't at least your losses will be kept to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Just use word press and plenty of free hosting available before you purchase hosting.

Plenty of nice free wordpress themes that would suit you or ones that you pay for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement