Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Question

Options
  • 12-02-2011 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My company announced lay offs in Oct 2010 they would be through out 2011 with a total closure by the end of 2011
    they gave end dates to every person for 2011 and a guarantee that your end date might be pushed out but not pulled in.
    As my particular role is quite important to day to day operations I was given an end date right at the end of 2011
    In January of this year the company said the end date given was provisional only and that you could be asked to finish any time during the year as they were planning to pull in the closure.
    They would give 8 weeks notice if your date was changing you would be expected to work these 8 weeks to ensure your redundancy.
    I have subsequently been offered a new job (lucky i know) but they need me to start in March.The company has rejected my request to pull in my end date.
    If I leave before without there permission (which they have refused)they are stating they will not pay my redundancy as I would be leaving of my own volition.
    I had a official offer from the other company and showed this to my current employer.

While the redundancy is not massive (about 3 months pay ) I do not want to leave without it but do not think it would be wise to turn down this job opportunity in this climate.

In a company that has been pretty despondent since the initial announcement ,I have got on with it and done my best to keep up the quality of my work.this reaction from the employer has completely shocked me.I am at a loss what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

why are you shocked?

Its simple, you have found employment, well done for you, but that does not mean that your current employer has to fork out your redundancy money as you will not be in a redundancy situation, your request is what is shocking.

leave when you have to, get you outstanding holiday pay etc and start your new job and get on with life.

sorry for the curt answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Totally agree. OP take the new job. What's the point hanging around for 3 months pay and three possibility of no job at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Redundancy isn't an end-of-work bonus like some people seem to think it is. It's to help people out in the interim period between jobs if they are let go with no alternative employment.

Why would they pay you to leave work to a new job?!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am looking for a new job ,not because i want to but because they are relocating the business to a LCC.
    They have effectively put me on a rolling two months notice.
    I am lucky to get another job but its terms I have not mentioned and I am losing my service ,so if god forbid this company gets into trouble I will be walking away with nothing (for the next two years ) I might not be so lucky next time.

I do not see Redundancy as some sort of "bonus" but I guess I felt this has been earned and they are trying to "get out" of paying it.

It appears i might be the only person who sees it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Your only option if you feel that way is to stick it out and wait for redundancy and hope to find another job before the 3 months wages runs out. At most you may get 5 months out of it then its back to 188 per week ( or what ever the payment will be this time next year.)
    Unless yo plan on up-skilling or traveling with the money take the new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You have shown them your offer? Are you insane? Not a chance they'll accommodate you as they now know you are getting offers. Unlikely they'll make you redundant till end of 2011 now. Why would they? Redundancy is not an 'entitlement'.

Advertisement