Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

days changed

Options
  • 03-02-2011 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi there just wondering if anyone knows can my employer change my working days without me agreeing to it.10 years ago i started my 8 to 5 monday to friday job and realy enjoy my weekends off but now employer says that i must work saturdays and take monday off instead.Just wondering if anyone knows if i have to agree to this or do i have other choices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Hi Sunshine,

If you are not in a union I don't think you have any recourse in this situation.

If you are in a Union then because you have an established work pattern they should certainly be able to help you.

Does your contract provide for a change of your hours by your employer?

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sunnyshine

Well unfortunatly we were never given a working contract.So i guess its heads down!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Whether or not you were given a contract or not is irrelevant, but you should have been given Terms of Employment within 2 months of starting.

As for your working hours, or working days, you have a de facto contract. If you have been working 8 - 5 Monday to Friday, since you started, your boss cannot change your working hours without your approval.

I would contact NERA about the Terms of Employment, and mention the change in hours/days. They will give you the exact legal position (which we can't do here)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

stevejr wrote: »
    If you are not in a union I don't think you have any recourse in this situation.

If you are in a Union then because you have an established work pattern they should certainly be able to help you.
    Wrong and misleading
    sunnyshine wrote: »
    So i guess its heads down!:mad:
    Wrong
    Clauric wrote: »
    Whether or not you were given a contract or not is irrelevant, but you should have been given Terms of Employment within 2 months of starting.

As for your working hours, or working days, you have a de facto contract. If you have been working 8 - 5 Monday to Friday, since you started, your boss cannot change your working hours without your approval.

I would contact NERA about the Terms of Employment, and mention the change in hours/days. They will give you the exact legal position (which we can't do here)
    Absolutely +1000. Even without a written contract, you have implied contract employee rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sunnyshine

RangeR wrote: »
    Wrong and misleading

Wrong

Absolutely +1000. Even without a written contract, you have implied contract employee rights.
    Okay then here it goes im going to make a stand.Since the recession my employer keeps making our lives more miserable and i have had enough.The answer to all our questions in work is everyone is in the same boat.So thanks for all the info and hopefully there will be a good outcome and if not maybe i will be layed off!If so well it just proves i should have bailed out years ago.So i will keep you posted on the results.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

sunnyshine wrote: »
    Okay then here it goes im going to make a stand.Since the recession my employer keeps making our lives more miserable and i have had enough.The answer to all our questions in work is everyone is in the same boat.So thanks for all the info and hopefully there will be a good outcome and if not maybe i will be layed off!If so well it just proves i should have bailed out years ago.So i will keep you posted on the results.:D

I'm not saying you should be confrontational. I'm just saying you have rights. Read up and be well informed before you approach your boss.

Don't get emotional with him/;her. Keep it factual, calm but assertive.

Advertisement