Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 P/W now told it will be cut by €70 pw??

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

My father works full time about 45-50hrs a week he gets paid €500pw, his boss won’t give him a pay slip been like that for the last year or more. When he requests a pay slip he has to listen to his boss make up some bull****e about having to get his accountant to sort it which of course he doesn’t ever do.

He pays my father on the 15th of every month. But with you go through a calendar and work out the working days from the 15th to 15th from month to month sometimes there is 23 working days or 21 working days which means my father is losing out as he is only getting paid for a month or 20 working days. The boss has been made aware of the fact but of course like everything else he ignores it!!

He just told my father today that he will only be talking home €430 pw as he will be taxed a further €70 pw can that be right??

Also regarding pay slips and the fact my father doesn’t get any who or where can we report him for not giving a pay slip?? I might as well add he doesn’t pay holiday pay which I think is illegal. As a boss he wasn't always been like this only the last two years. As you can appreciate a job is a job and if my father wanted to leave his job there is not guarantee he could find one given the way things are.So we feel hes been bullied by a boss who knows he needs this job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

That's some crazy S**T :eek: How many people work at this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

That's some crazy S**T :eek: How many people work at this place?

Just 3 people my dad and the boss and another guy but he has taken on 5 people in the last year and let them go he’s a picky fecker. They operate machinery and there are just two machines in the company but these are very expensive and specialized machines working on big contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

As far as I'm aware it's illegal to not provide a payslip. Call revenue with your father's PPS number (actually, he'll have to do it) & find out when the last tax payment was. I sspect (and am open to correction) that the employer may not be paying his taxes.

The €70 deduction could be USC. I'm out of work so I don't know.

iMax wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it's illegal to not provide a payslip. Call revenue with your father's PPS number (actually, he'll have to do it) & find out when the last tax payment was. I sspect (and am open to correction) that the employer may not be paying his taxes.

The €70 deduction could be USC. I'm out of work so I don't know.

We think he is paying the taxes but we don't know if hes trying to hide something!! My dad gets a P60 every year.

Whats USC please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

NERA are the people you want to contact here.
    They do random checks on companies in any case and will not disclose that they were requested to do so if requested afaik.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployers/paywages/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If your Dad ever goes to claim welfare he might have trouble getting his entitlements. Screams to me this boss isn't paying the taxes.

Go for a meeting and make requests and document everything. Times, dates, what was said, who was there.

Your Dad might suddenly get let go and get a bull**** excuse and the reason was asking questions.
    Records will help

USC is Universal Social Charge, another tax for the working person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yes illegal your father sould be entitled to a payslip by law and yes he could be losing out big time on days ect its disgracful the way some employers treat there workers this day and age tell him to log every hour and day he does with dates ect just to keep track if your dad does decide to get his right for payslip.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

USC = Universal Social Charge, the new way of ripping us off that came into effect on January 1st 2011. The income levy is gone and that's in its place basically. What that guy is doing to your dad sounds TOTALLY illegal to me and is another example of how in this recession it's an employers market open to abuse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Technically, he's not getting €500 per week, he's getting €2000 pr month because he's being paid monthly.

It's also illegal to not be paid holiday pay

Employment Law on citizen's advice. Read it carefully.

• Advertisement

Síle28 wrote: »
    USC = Universal Social Charge, the new way of ripping us off that came into effect on January 1st 2011. The income levy is gone and that's in its place basically. What that guy is doing to your dad sounds TOTALLY illegal to me and is another example of how in this recession it's an employers market open to abuse :mad:

We feel the same. Two years ago my fathers take home pay was €700. This guy is making money we know it as we know the business inside and out.

iMax wrote: »
    Technically, he's not getting €500 per week, he's getting €2000 pr month because he's being paid monthly.

It's also illegal to not be paid holiday pay

Employment Law on citizen's advice. Read it carefully.

He used to get paid weekly then was changed to the 15th of every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

what you're saying about "19-23 days a month" is nonsense. It's pretty clear your father gets paid monthly.
    edit: if he used to work for €500 a week, he should get paid €2167 a month. If he's paid €2000 his employer is ripping him off.

€30k is a pretty sweet salary in that people on that level will NOT be taxed more under the USC system. The only exception is if his wife also has income.

But either way, it sounds really dodgy that his employer is deducting an additional €70 without telling him what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are legally entitled to a payslip - no two ways about it. Get your father to contact Revenue and see if his employer has been paying PRSI etc for your father. If not, and your father loses his job, he could be without benefits.

What type of contract is your father on? Is he salaried, paid monthly, paid weekly or what? For instance I get paid monthly, but like you point out, the number of days worked per month varies. However, the deal is that I get paid monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

+1 for contacting revenue. All the information you need is with them or on www.citizensinformation.ie

€70p/w sounds awful dodgy. To be frank, i get a similar wage. Since Jan, i'm down an extra €20p/w on all taxes etc.. Everything is detailed in a payslip, and everyone is entitled to that. demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

€70 social charge on €500 would be steep as it should only be around €40 but seeing its paid from the monthly wage then its very good as people pay up to that weekly so in this case and if it is the social charge your father has paid less than if he was being paid weekly.
    He is still entitled to a pay slip every pay day and its important that he gets them for his own querys plus if asked for his last 3 pay slips from the tax office etc for whatever reason.

€70 social charge on €500 would be steep as it should only be around €40 but seeing its paid from the monthly wage then its very good as people pay up to that weekly so in this case and if it is the social charge your father has paid less than if he was being paid weekly.

The op said the charge is €70 weekly, or €280 monthly (given the op's father's monthly wage is 4 week's pay thanks to a fast one pulled by the employer earlier)

Also, with a take-home pay of €500 a week there should be little or no difference between the USC system and the PRSI/Health Levy/Income Levy system.

Not sure where you're plucking the €40 per week figure from.

I said around €40 if its the uni charge.

Its charged at 7% so thats €35.

I said around €40 if its the uni charge.

Its charged at 7% so thats €35.

And how does that compare to the PRSI, health levy and income levy.

The op said his father is getting CUT an extra €70 a week. He didn't say the USC was €70 per week.

There is no income levy. I said IF its the Uni charge.

• Advertisement

There is no income levy. I said IF its the Uni charge.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

More than you by the looks of things. You do know that the universal charge has replaced the income levy dont you?

More than you by the looks of things. You do know that the universal charge has replaced the income levy dont you?

I asked you, how does the USC he is now paying compare to the PRSI, health levy and income levy that he was previously paying... this will give you an informed view on whether the €70 reduction in his take home pay is warranted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,572 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

A couple of points:

1. All employees are legally entitled to a payslip. For information check this link: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_slip.html

2. There are a couple of online calculators which you could use to check the accuracy of a net pay calculation => my spreadsheet or Karl Grabe's Java calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

techni-fan & Pineapple stu Knock it off.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....your boss doesn't have to know about this enquiry. Also you should get a CERT at the end of each year for levies.

Advertisement