Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mary White fiddling again

Options
  • 14-04-2008 8:41am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After her tiered licences guff, theres an article in the Indo (paper edition - its not online yet) where she wants to replace the year on reg plates with an energy rating. A - D - 12345 instead of 08 and so on.

First problem would be that the numbers would rapidly run out, second problem is that it gives no indication of the age of the car - which I believe virtually every other European system does. Third problem is that the woman appears incapable of understanding anything to do with driving, but thats another issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

There's a post about this already. That being said, Agreed.

Nutter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mena wrote: »
    There's a post about this already. That being said, Agreed.

Nutter.

I took a quick look and couldn't fint it, oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

MYOB wrote: »
    I took a quick look and couldn't fint it, oops :o

No worries, I finally found it on page 10 or something :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055270869

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MYOB wrote: »
    After her tiered licences guff, theres an article in the Indo (paper edition - its not online yet) where she wants to replace the year on reg plates with an energy rating. A - D - 12345 instead of 08 and so on.

First problem would be that the numbers would rapidly run out, second problem is that it gives no indication of the age of the car - which I believe virtually every other European system does. Third problem is that the woman appears incapable of understanding anything to do with driving, but thats another issue.

Putting the energy rating on plates is overkill and typical of the Green's myopic view. However removing reference to the the year from number plates would be a good idea IMO.

The most environmentally-friendly scenario would be there were fewer new sales and instead cars were maintained and kept on the road for longer. It is ridiculous that we are being brow-beaten into recycling bottles, using energy-saving bulbs, plug out the VCR etc.(:rolleyes:) whilst perfectably servicable cars are scrapped mainly because a 9x number plate deems the driver some sort of social pariah (not my view but a LOT of people think this way).

Look at it this way - it would be a hell of a lot more effective than crucifying owners of high CO2 cars. Youl'll be able to argue that your 4 year-old M3 is actually an environmentally-friendly purchase:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

You are absolutely right pburns. However don't think for a second that this government will do anything that might reduce new car sales. The main reason that they changed the rules so that new cars bought from January could avail of the post-July tax rates was they were concerned at the dramatic drop in new car registrations in January....or at least the consequent drop in revenue as a result of that sales slump.

They might like to talk green, but the motorist is too much of a cash cow for any major change in status quo to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

greens in ireland are like republicans in america , torries in england etc.... just making up porposed new laws to make them look useful

i want some of what shes been smoking anywho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

She wants it on a voluntary basis too, so it's even more useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I don't know anything about the woman but I agree 100% with her on removing the year from Number plates. It is only encouraging Number Plate Snobbery. I think that with a little imagination a system could be developed that would not give away the year of a car (at least not as obviously as the current one).

Panda is right though. The last thing the Government want right now is something sensible that might slow down the number of new cars sold in the country.

The Energy Rating on the number plate is a bit Nuts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

BnA wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the woman but I agree 100% with her on removing the year from Number plates. It is only encouraging Number Plate Snobbery.

I disagree. I like that there is a degree of number plate snobbery, cause then us peasant folk can pick up the second hand cars on the cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Didn't the government try and get rid of older 'unsafe' cars there a good few years back?

Now people want to keep cars on the road for longer......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Cionád wrote: »
    I disagree. I like that there is a degree of number plate snobbery, cause then us peasant folk can pick up the second hand cars on the cheap :)
    Very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

WHAT. A. CLOWN. The only people I have more contempt for then the idiots in government like this are the people that voted for them, and no doubt will again next time. Does this TD just come up with barmy ideas after a few drinks and thinks she'll put them forward?! If she came onto boards with the idea she would be slated off it. I really wish the do-gooder Greens would shut up about CO2, like Ireland with our 4 million people will make a difference. I'll use my patio heater all I like thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I like her idea of giving out stars (like a primary teacher).

Please miss, how many stars would I get for my 5.4 litre V8?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

astraboy wrote: »
    Does this TD just come up with barmy ideas after a few drinks and thinks she'll put them forward?!

No, she spends weeks thinking them up in a common sense proof room with Gormless.;)

People dying on trolleys?
    pfft, lets all have new number plates, that'll solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Well for some people having number plates with outrageous amounts of Co2s on them would become a badge of honour. I bet Jeremy Clarkson would regsiter his Ford GT here just for the craic:D

Saabdub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BnA wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the woman but I agree 100% with her on removing the year from Number plates. It is only encouraging Number Plate Snobbery.

Year snobbery would only turn to emission snobbery with the S-Class and A8 Drivers opting for the S600 and A8 4.2
    to get the highest possible emission rating.

I'd be in favour of splitting the year with a prefix though. Something along the lines of the small print on Portugese reg plates so a first quarter reg is

01 08-D-2379 and there could also be a
    02 08-D-2379 which plainly enough couldn't be the same car in the same colour!!

It might reduce the phone number D regs that have been appearing since the late 90s. It would also alleviate the January rush as new reg sequences would be issues 4 times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I believe its just to get attention for the Green Party conference.
    Just for that I'm going to burn a few tyres and maybe kill a seal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bagsy 97-D-225 for my car!
    Does anyone actually listen to her? She has come out with three* high profile statements recently that Im aware of, all of which were motoring related and all of which were completely stupid.

* this one, the tiered learning idea and something else that I can't be bothered trying to remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

kbannon wrote: »
    I bagsy 97-D-225 for my car!
    Does anyone actually listen to her? She has come out with three* high profile statements recently that Im aware of, all of which were motoring related and all of which were completely stupid.

* this one, the tiered learning idea and something else that I can't be bothered trying to remember!

She does not appear to be the brightest:D. Maybe if idiots like her were slagged off in the Dail bar for such comments, like a school playground, they would think before speaking.:) It would just be a license for those driving lower emission cars to be even more pious and up-their own arses then they are now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Herad her on the radio a few weeks ago talking about this. She said people would find it cool to have a low energy rating plate on their car instead of it being cool to have the latest year reg. Sounds like my mum telling me in school that the patches on my elbows would make me look cool when the other kids were worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninty9er wrote: »
    Year snobbery would only turn to emission snobbery with the S-Class and A8 Drivers opting for the S600 and A8 4.2
    to get the highest possible emission rating.

I'd be in favour of splitting the year with a prefix though. Something along the lines of the small print on Portugese reg plates so a first quarter reg is

01 08-D-2379 and there could also be a
    02 08-D-2379 which plainly enough couldn't be the same car in the same colour!!

It might reduce the phone number D regs that have been appearing since the late 90s. It would also alleviate the January rush as new reg sequences would be issues 4 times a year.

Would make reg plates impossible to remember after an accident - not a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How? The number is less digits. If they don't get whcih quarter it is then it's 1 of 4 cars, even my dog could solve that one.

Advertisement