Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typo in email for job application

Options
  • 17-11-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I just applied for a job and had a typo in the email, should I send an apology email, showing I've realized the mistake I made or should I leave it? Here's the email I sent.

"Hello,

I recently viewed a listing for a web develpoer on ie.indeed.com. Attached is my resume and cover letter for your consideration. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
    [name]
    "

The typo is the word developer, thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I just applied for a job and had a typo in the email, should I send an apology email, showing I've realized the mistake I made or should I leave it? Here's the email I sent.

"Hello,

I recently viewed a listing for a web develpoer on ie.indeed.com. Attached is my resume and cover letter for your consideration. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

"

You might be lucky, developer is one of those words you recognise without reading fully. I certainly missed the typo when reading your OP.

P.S. You might want to remove your name from your post otherwise the first thing they're likely to spot when they Google your name is this thread. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I missed it and I'm a developer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Traversalan15

Graham wrote: »
    You might be lucky, developer is one of those words you recognise without reading fully. I certainly missed the typo when reading your OP.

P.S. You might want to remove your name from your post otherwise the first thing they're likely to spot when they Google your name is this thread. :)

Cheers Pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya I didn't catch it either.
    Id say don't worry about it. The rest of the email is fine so its not as if your whole email was in bad grammar and spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I removed your name there.

I wouldn't say there's anything to be gained from apologising and pointing it out. Developer isn't a word that you'd get wrong due to not knowing how you spell it, especially when you're a developer! It'll either be missed or ignored, your CV should do the talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

I missed it and I too am a devel-pooer.
    Frankly, I doubt you'd want to work for any employer that has an issue with such a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SPOOL

I missed it and I am a grammar Nazi. Leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Doesn't this fall into that urban legend of a "study done at Cambridge" a few years ago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typoglycemia.

Its a typo, you clearly know who to spell developer so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Couple of other issues:

Hello is a rather informal way to start a letter.

Where the letter is not specifically addressed the correct sign off is Yours faithfully.

That all assumes you're using the British versions, and you've faithfully reproduced your letter here. You use the word resume which may connote the US style but you haven't used that either.

I fully realise the above is pedantry of the highest order, just for future reference if you're ever applying to the 3rd High Commissioner of Timbuktu.

Also wouldn't lose sleep over the typo tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Its a typo, you clearly know who to spell developer so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I c wut you did there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Mort5000 wrote: »
    devel-pooer.

Genius - that word is up there with cow-orker for inspired deliberate misspellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I saw the typo but I would just leave it and turn on your spell checker. You are not going to be ruled out based on that.

For any job I have ever applied, my cover letter was the email. Seems strange to write an email saying you've attached a cover letter which will mean that the person reading it will have to click on the attachment and then open an application to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as everything else you sent is typo free and grammatically correct.
    People make mistakes - and swapping a letter around when you're typing quickly happens to most people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

red_bairn wrote: »
    I c wut you did there...
    yes.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

"Hello,

Yours sincerely,
    [name]
    "

- Spell check resumes/cover letters so you dont have this problem
    - Don't send follow up email, makes you look insecure
    - Like others, I didn't notice it 'til you pointed it out
    - Typo due to fast typing isn't as bad as mixing up 'their' and 'there' (nothing against anyone who is bad at grammar, but that would be a big negative signal in a cover letter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

fergalr wrote: »
    ...isn't as bad as mixing up 'their' and 'there'

Your sew write!
    :D

Advertisement