Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with customers in a pub

Options
  • 20-01-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Any barmen out there can help me out a little here. I work in a pub as a young barman and anyone who works this job knows you come across all sorts of people. Just wondering how you deal with the more negative type that try put you down and the likes. Don't get me wrong i know in order to be a good barman you have to have a sense of humour and take jokes and slaggin. But what about when your told ''that was a f*ckin horrible pint''. You do come across alot of negative types in this job. Anyway just wanted other peoples opinion. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

merro10 wrote: »
    Any barmen out there can help me out a little here. I work in a pub as a young barman and anyone who works this job knows you come across all sorts of people. Just wondering how you deal with the more negative type that try put you down and the likes. Don't get me wrong i know in order to be a good barman you have to have a sense of humour and take jokes and slaggin. But what about when your told ''that was a f*ckin horrible pint''. You do come across alot of negative types in this job. Anyway just wanted other peoples opinion. Cheers.

You just have to be witty - I'd respond to that fella (if he was a local I knew) with an "I see it's left a bad taste in your mouth anyway" or "I'd pull you a nice pint if you'd stop whinging"

I used to work in a hotel bar for ages from the age of 17, the main thing is to not be too much of a smartass - you'll get to know the locals, you'll get to know how far you can joke with them...

It's all part and parcel of it really - you'll sharpen your judgement skills fairly quickly working in a bar regarding - when to speak, when to shut the fúck up, when to be humerous etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 merro10

I know yeah i suppose the longer your in it the more you get used to it. There good replies aswel. Have a full day of it ahead tomorrow. Oh well. :rolleyes:

merro10 wrote: »
    I know yeah i suppose the longer your in it the more you get used to it. There good replies aswel. Have a full day of it ahead tomorrow. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Ah well that's the thing - when you first start in a bar you'll think the locals are right smart cúnts but you don't want to step on anybodies toes....the more you deal with the customers though the more you'll learn to hop ball with them.

It's the same everywhere - was working in an IT Dept. during my placement for college and after 2months myself and my boss were slagging the shíte out of each other on a minute by minute basis....loved it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ah the know it all drunks are the best. just nod and agree never argue.

the locals/regs drinking a pint and only discover its dodgy near the end, ask them what the rest tastes liked as they are chancing their arm with the new kid on the block and if your smart enough, within reason, it will put them back in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If they say it after the first sip replace it.

If they drink most of it then chance their arm dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ColHol wrote: »
    If they say it after the first sip replace it.

If they drink most of it then chance their arm dont
    Agreed. Next time they moan about the pint, laugh, and ask why they had to drink it all, if it was so bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd say just remember how say they are that they're in the same pub every day trying to make themselves feel better by belittling you.

These are the same sad saps that think your job is to talk to them rather than serve them booze for money.

They like to think they're big men in the pub, but they're sad, lonely little men in reality.

Just laugh at them.

Get them barred if they annoy you too much....they hate that.

I'd say just remember how say they are that they're in the same pub every day trying to make themselves feel better by belittling you.

These are the same sad saps that think your job is to talk to them rather than serve them booze for money.

They like to think they're big men in the pub, but they're sad, lonely little men in reality.

Just laugh at them.

Get them barred if they annoy you too much....they hate that.

I'd say you loved working behind a bar didn't you?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wait until you drop a glass and you hear a roar of

"Huuuuuray, do you want a hammer over there?"
    "Oh we are having a smashing time today!"
    And then a round of applause

Sad men :rolleyes:

Wait until you drop a glass and you hear a roar of

"Huuuuuray, do you want a hammer over there?"
    "Oh we are having a smashing time today!"
    And then a round of applause

Sad men :rolleyes:

Well to be fair to locals - from any place I've worked that's never happened.

Now weddings on the other hand, are a joke for that stuff, I've taken abuse from all age groups, you try to close the bar, even after giving them after hours for a good while and they turn on you....it's horrible to put up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Worked in bars for 10 years OP, Mainly city centre ones though so you wouldnt have the local "click"
    Any comments like that i would "say ah yeah I suppose ya want another one on tick" in a humorous way. HUmour will defuse most situations failing that. Theres allways a bit of bar stocking or glass cleaning to occupy you when the muppits are in.
    Besides we all know the "local click" that pontificate and think they own the bar are gobsheens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

Don't be rude is all i can say and never be too cheeky. You have to know who can take the humour and who cannot. See how far along they are with their drink...if thy have just sipped it replace it and ask them what was wrong with it. If they have it nearly all drank then i would personnaly speak with a superiour and ask their opinion on how to deal with it. :)

Advertisement