Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A website that made me smile.

Options
  • 08-05-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Because it basically proves the point that I always stand by.

The majority of people are non-believers.

The website is: YesNoGod

As you can see:

Ireland: Non-believers: 64%
    Europe: Non-believers: 56%
    North America: Non-believers: 55%
    Australia: 69%
    World: 54%

I would like to hereby classify this as a "win".

And the ones who have the majority as believers are mostly un(der)developed/third world countries where all they have to hold on to is the thought that something better is going to come to them.
    Or have been preached to by missionaries, etc.

Now, I've seen that in past instances like this the religious would start a "Well it's not a poll on everyone!"... My response being - Of course it's not, come back when you've polled every living person.

This poll was set up giving both sides a perfectly fair chance to vote - And the majority do not believe in a deity. End of that. That's how polls work.

Also, with these figures increasing every year, it won't be long until all of the aforementioned countries are well over 80% and headed higher.

And I still maintain the view that if you explained to religious people what they were fully believing in then the non-believer figures shown here would be a LOT higher.

Just something I wanted to share with you guys.

Enjoy. :D

Darren.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That is a pretty interesting site. I like the way it's geotargeted.

Proof of anything my arse though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

SirDarren wrote: »

This poll was set up giving both sides a perfectly fair chance to vote - And the majority do not believe in a deity. End of that. That's how polls work.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but while I believe that the statistics for non-believers are a lot higher than what the the current census information shows, the site you linked to should not be viewed as a statistically valid survey.
    For example:
    1) The demographics of the breakdown of religiosity for internet users (i.e. those people who would have been able to actually vote in the poll) I would suggest are skewed toward the non-believer moreso than the general population.
    2) There would seem to be a case for confirmation bias on a poll of this nature. For example, the poll is leaning in the direction of non-believers and you post a link to it on an Atheist forum. What effect do you think that will have on the statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Naz_st wrote: »
    For example, the poll is leaning in the direction of non-believers and you post a link to it on an Atheist forum. What effect do you think that will have on the statistics?

Lots of believers post here too?

Of course i still think the website is a load of codswallop.

edit: Im moving to Saint Lucia. Apparently 100% of them are non-believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Norway is impressive. 72% don't believe. I want to move there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Galvasean wrote: »
    Im moving to Saint Lucia. Apparently 100% of them are non-believers.

The Vatican city is currently polling 50:50.
    Pope Benedict has issued a statement that he is 'confident of a victory' but latest reports say he has been spotted at Da Vinci airport with a suitcase full of gold.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Pretty tiny sample sizes so far as well. 400 odd for Ireland just makes it even harder for the stats to be skewed unfairly in one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Dades wrote: »
    That is a pretty interesting site. I like the way it's geotargeted.

Proof of anything my arse though. :p

Belize is 50% atheist. Fascinating!
    SirDarren wrote: »

Why do you care? It's not as if you're peddling salvation... are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Nevore wrote: »
    Pretty tiny sample sizes so far as well. 400 odd for Ireland just makes it even harder for the stats to be skewed unfairly in one way or the other.

Fine tiny poll sizes for ireland but over 150,000 people voting overall. Results are pretty much 50:50 for the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Fine tiny poll sizes for ireland but over 150,000 people voting overall. Results are pretty much 50:50 for the world.

Skewed heavily in favour of the developed West. Of course to most Westerners that is the overprivileged bubble world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Skewed heavily in favour of the developed West. Of course to most Westerners that is the overprivileged bubble world.

Do i look like I care for the opinions of peasants?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do i look like I care for the opinions of peasants?

:D lolol

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Húrin wrote: »
    Why do you care? It's not as if you're peddling salvation... are you?

You just don't understand what that means.

And you'd be surprised. :)

Advertisement