Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg change

Options
  • 13-04-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, is it possible to change a reg? also was looking to buy a car and contacted a seller, asked about the nct. He hasnt nct'd it since he bought it from a dealer 3 years ago. At the very least if im going to buy this id want an nct check done. What are your guys thoughts on this? threw me off a bit...

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its not possible to change a reg!
    As for getting the car checked out and insisting on an NCT - do both!There are loads of used cars out there so you make the demands, not the seller!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Possibly could change it by exporting the car to the UK, getting it registered there then reimporting it back here, paying VRT and then getting a new reg, would be very costly and a waste of money.

I wouldn't touch a car without an NCT, it's only asking for trouble, if it's a decent car the owner will have put it through and it will have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

cheers for the replys, had the same thoughts. Also agree with the buyer making the demands and not the other way around, in most cases... its a bmw 318, the are alot of nice ones with high mileage, but im thinking if i want to sell it in 3-4 years, is it a false economy, better getting something with average mileage for its age year 2000, ie anything up to 80000 miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rambler924

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Possibly could change it by exporting the car to the UK, getting it registered there then reimporting it back here, paying VRT and then getting a new reg, would be very costly and a waste of money.

Exporting to re-import is not an option.
    If you import a car that was once registered here you will recieve the Irish regristation it originally held at the VRT office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hey guys, is it possible to change a reg? also was looking to buy a car and contacted a seller, asked about the nct. He hasnt nct'd it since he bought it from a dealer 3 years ago. At the very least if im going to buy this id want an nct check done. What are your guys thoughts on this? threw me off a bit...

OK - stupid question...

why the hell would you want to change a reg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pburns wrote: »
    OK - stupid question...

why the hell would you want to change a reg?
    "Cos I'm not a fuppin' mulchie from Cork, awrigh' Bud?" :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement