Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

well pump priming problem

Options
  • 21-10-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have a new well pack, surface jet pump which was fitted a year ago but unused since February. It lost its prime since then. I primed the pump and switched it on. Within 20 seconds the pressure gauge was reading 85 lbs and didn't cut out. I plugged it out and it dropped back to 45 or so. There is no water in the tank and the water in the pump is under pressure as when I start to remove the prime plug water is forcing its way out. I wonder if the foot valve could be jammed shut and the water cannot flow down into the well? All was working perfectly when it was turned off last winter. I did find a suspiciously loose joint on the pump which might explain why the prime was lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭skippy5

have a look at your pressure switch, might be some grit stopping it from cutting out. Plug out your pump take off the switch and check the small hole on the bottom is clear also check that switch is moving in and out. Should be cutting out at 60 lsb max and back in at 40. Check that the tank is pumped to 20 lsb below your cut out pressure.

Advertisement