Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study

Options
  • 04-09-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

So my young lad is 14 and he is in 3rd year ( junior cert year ) and was just wondering how much study should he be doing a night.

Considering his homework would take him between 60 & 90 mins, and also considering his is probably a C+ average student ( obviously I would like this to be a bit higher ) how long would ye think is the right amount of study time a night and should he be studying on the weekends also

I am just trying to come to a consensus really as myself and ex are very much polar opposite when it comes to how long we think he should be studying

At the moment he is doing 1.5 hours h/w a night ( if he only has a hour worth of h/w the other 30mins is study ) and a further 2 hours study then on weekends he is expected to do 5hrs on Sat and same Sun...

I personally think this is too much, whatever about the amount of time during the week but the weekends is a bit top heavy for me but maybe this is normal for kids his age..

Am I wrong in thinking its too much

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is he doing that much study and still getting C+ results?
    If that's the case I'd question if the study is effective and if ye can go over tips on it and if there's better ways of doing it.
    3+ hours a night and 5 hours on weekend days is very excessive for junior cert imo and it should be quality not quantity

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd agree with the above- the length of time he spends studying isn't going to make a difference if he doesn't understand the source material well to begin with. Have you considered talking to his teachers about key areas that he should focus on? Or perhaps getting tutorials? A couple of hours of grinds at the weekends, focusing on his weaker areas and working with someone who can explain it to him might be far more productive than ten hours of the weekend staring at books....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement