Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Style Driving License

Options
  • 17-02-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys
    I have a full license in the old style which i got it 2 years back. Now i want to know whether i could exchange this for the new credit card style driving license. Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

did you consult the RSA website, contact the motor tax people or even have a basic search online first ?

the information is available to you if you actually look for it.

in regards to your licence - you have a licence so whats wrong with it ....nothing ..so why would you change it (because you want to ???) ...its a valid licence and until it expires or gets lost you do NOT need to get the new shiny one !!

Do you change your car because the manufacturer brought out a new one which looks better ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm guessing Corkbah has never produced the Irish driving licence in any other country and seen the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

spurious wrote: »
    I'm guessing Corkbah has never produced the Irish driving licence in any other country and seen the reaction.

Corkbah has used his Irish licence in many european countries, in various states in USA - Hawaii, Maui, California, New York, Las Vegas .... even Canada recognises the pink Irish Driving licence and many other foreign countries with long names....both for renting vehicles and used as identity in pubs/clubs.

do you really think that because Ireland has a new ID Card style licence that the rest of the world will suddenly stop recognising an Irish licence ? the pink paper licence has been in existence for many years and if the OP has a valid licence why should they change it ...it is a valid licence and will be for another few years.

have you used your licence in foreign countries ? have you had issues with it ? did it not work ? do you think that a new ID card style driving licence will be accepted more readily - when some countries dont know we have a new licence ? do you not think anyone renting a car in foreign countries with the ID card licence will have issues because the people will not have seen that licence before and will consider it a fake, especially if their (probably out of date) records have Ireland with a pink paper licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi guys
    I have a full license in the old style which i got it 2 years back. Now i want to know whether i could exchange this for the new credit card style driving license. Thanks in advance folks.
    Good morning and welcome to Boards.ie. I'll bet when you composed your first post, you were not expecting the Condescending reply you received. Please don't let that put off. After all, if no questions were asked then there would little use for Boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hi guys

Not at the moment unless its 'lost' or 'stolen' etc as they don't want to clog up the system with requests to change until they get it fully up and running, possibly next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi OP. Unfortunatly you are stuck with the pink paper one, unless you change your details, ie name or address, you lose it, or its expired.

I only passed my test a few years and would prefer the credit card style one as well, thankfully am planning to change address later this year so will wait till then.

Advertisement