Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Uriel. wrote: »
    Car needs to be 6 months old or have over 6000 km when bringing it into country otherwise you'll have to pay Irish vat.

V5c is essentially the log book. You absolutely need this and the dealer needs to give you the whole form. Not just the section relating to the new owner details.
    You should discuss this with the dealer in advance and ensure that he understands this.

6 months from the first date of registration in the UK then? Assuming so, what if the car was registered 1st December 2018. So it's 5 months old and has say 1000kms on it only. Could I bring it back tomorrow and leave at home and then do all the VRT stuff in a months time when it'll technically be 6 months old?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

no (and it wouldn't be a 191 it would be a 182)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Isambard wrote: »
    no (and it wouldn't be a 191 it would be a 182)

No as in I can't bring it in with 1000kms with it being 5 months old and wait a month before declaring it for VRT?

Or

No to the age of the car having to be 6 months from the first date of registration?

To clarify does the car have to be 6 months old OR have at least 6000kms to avoid VAT or do both conditions have to be met because citizensinfo website seems to think both conditions have to be met by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the assessment will be based on the date of import.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Uriel. wrote: »
    Car needs to be 6 months old or have over 6000 km when bringing it into country otherwise you'll have to pay Irish vat.
    Wrong!

It must be over 6 months since date of first registration AND have over 6000 km on the odometer.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Esel wrote: »
    Wrong!

It must be over 6 months since date of first registration AND have over 6000 km on the odometer.

Yes apologies you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Can anyone recommend some to use for inspecting a car in Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

mossy464 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some to use for inspecting a car in Northern Ireland?

I used Click Mechanic and found them to be very good. They outsource to local inspectors, many of which can be found directly through the link below:

http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

I used Click Mechanic and found them to be very good. They outsource to local inspectors, many of which can be found directly through the link below:

http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

Thanks have arranged an inspection through clickmechanic. Was hoping to collect the car at the weekend but trying to work out the most cost effective way of paying .

Looking at currency fair but assuming I set that up to transfer tomorrow it probably wouldn't go through until after the weekend I assume.

Anyone any advice on the best/quickest way to pay in pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Thanks have arranged an inspection through clickmechanic. Was hoping to collect the car at the weekend but trying to work out the most cost effective way of paying .

Looking at currency fair but assuming I set that up to transfer tomorrow it probably wouldn't go through until after the weekend I assume.

Anyone any advice on the best/quickest way to pay in pounds?

Found Transfermate good if you done it early this morning for exmaple they would have it this afternoon. The ran through it with me over the phone until it was done and gave me a peace of mind as it was my first time doing it. I would highly recommend them. As i was paying 12,600 pound and couldnt transfer it all one day to transfermates account i went to the counter in the bank and it was done very efficiently thats because my online banking had a daily transfer limit.

• Advertisement

revoke12 wrote: »
    Found Transfermate good if you done it early this morning for exmaple they would have it this afternoon. The ran through it with me over the phone until it was done and gave me a peace of mind as it was my first time doing it. I would highly recommend them. As i was paying 12,600 pound and couldnt transfer it all one day to transfermates account i went to the counter in the bank and it was done very efficiently thats because my online banking had a daily transfer limit.

Cheers.

Anyone ever used a revolut card to pay? Thinking I can put the money on that and then just pay with the revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Cheers.

Anyone ever used a revolut card to pay? Thinking I can put the money on that and then just pay with the revolut card.

I paid for the car with my revolut card in Birmingham last week, no problems whatsoever.

I paid for the car with my revolut card in Birmingham last week, no problems whatsoever.

Great thanks.

Any issues with spending limits? I believe there are no longer spending limits on the revolut card, so should be able to do one transaction of say 10000 GBP assuming the money is there on your revolut card.

No issues, but I wasn't spendingl as much as you.

Just for general information, the NCTS crowd of wasters could only give me a vrt appointment 8 hours after the expiry of my 30 day limit and wouldn't say if there would be a late penalty or not, so I rang revenue and got talking to a very helpful man. He was telling me that the penalty for lateness is . 001% of the vrt amount per day, and it's back-dated to the day of import. In my case that would be €1.87 per day, or €58 for the 31 days. He inferred that I wouldn't be fined for such a short time, but that I could appeal the fine if it did happen. It's way cheaper than I feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Just for general information, the NCTS crowd of wasters could only give me a vrt appointment 8 hours after the expiry of my 30 day limit and wouldn't say if there would be a late penalty or not, so I rang revenue and got talking to a very helpful man. He was telling me that the penalty for lateness is . 001% of the vrt amount per day, and it's back-dated to the day of import. In my case that would be €1.87 per day, or €58 for the 31 days. He inferred that I wouldn't be fined for such a short time, but that I could appeal the fine if it did happen. It's way cheaper than I feared.

That's new to me.When did the start to backdate the fine to the date of entry into the state.I thought you were fined after the 30 days.

No issues, but I wasn't spendingl as much as you.

Thanks, well I contacted revolut support to inquire about spending limits on the card and was told there are none. Told them my specific amount I plan to spend in one go and they confirmed there are no limits so I'm hoping I have no issues when it comes to paying.

Will post here once complete for everyone's benefit. Revolut is cheaper than currency fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Thanks, well I contacted revolut support to inquire about spending limits on the card and was told there are none. Told them my specific amount I plan to spend in one go and they confirmed there are no limits so I'm hoping I have no issues when it comes to paying.

Will post here once complete for everyone's benefit. Revolut is cheaper than currency fair.

Last time I used Revolut the limit was 6k€ per day.

Amouar wrote: »
    Last time I used Revolut the limit was 6k€ per day.

I saw that online but it has changed recently enough and support confirmed to me I had no limits so I hope thats right.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I saw that online but it has changed recently enough and support confirmed to me I had no limits so I hope thats right.

I think they are misleading you - for a standard (i.e. free account) the limit on FX is €6k equivalent per month. Anything over €6k they charge 0.5%. Search "limits" in the help section of the app and you'll see it under exchanging currencies. You have to upgrade to the next level account to get unlimited FX transfers.

Just to note if the money is on your Revolut card you can add sellers bank details on & do a bank transfer in the App. I did this for a recent car purchase & the money was there instantly

• Advertisement

bf wrote: »
    I think they are misleading you - for a standard (i.e. free account) the limit on FX is €6k equivalent per month. Anything over €6k they charge 0.5%. Search "limits" in the help section of the app and you'll see it under exchanging currencies. You have to upgrade to the next level account to get unlimited FX transfers.

Just to note if the money is on your Revolut card you can add sellers bank details on & do a bank transfer in the App. I did this for a recent car purchase & the money was there instantly

Thanks, I am clear on the free FX limit and understand there will be a charge for FX over €6k. I have all the money for the car purchase on my revolut so will exchange it to GBP on the app beforehand, I was just worried that there would a limit to the amount you could spend on the card in one day, support told me there is no spending limit so my transaction of e.g. 10000 GBP will be fine.

I will look into the bank transfer option via revolut. Didnt realise that was possible.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

How soon after importing it did you attempt to make a booking?

As soon As it goes over 30 days you're charged for 31 days. Only once the amount is higher than €50, so if your calculations are right then you will be charged €58.

mgn wrote: »
    That's new to me.When did the start to backdate the fine to the date of entry into the state.I thought you were fined after the 30 days.

Always. Once you go past 30 days, you're penalised back to the date of entry

Thanks, I am clear on the free FX limit and understand there will be a charge for FX over €6k. I have all the money for the car purchase on my revolut so will exchange it to GBP on the app beforehand, I was just worried that there would a limit to the amount you could spend on the card in one day, support told me there is no spending limit so my transaction of e.g. 10000 GBP will be fine.

I will look into the bank transfer option via revolut. Didnt realise that was possible.

Cheers

Bought the car today up north and used revolut to pay the amount in full in one card transaction. No issues at all.

Just had all the funds on my revolut account first. Had to put the money on over a few days due to my banks daily card transaction limit. Max 7100 in one day

I rang the vrt booking phone number today as there were no appointments available to book online. Brought the car in from the north on Saturday.

What are peoples experiences of the wait times for an appointment? Presumably there is further delay if the appointment they give you doesn't suit?

Is there a risk of missing the 30 day deadline for paying the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

I imported a disability vehicle it is a 162 reg with under the 6000km threshold can anyone explain why a vat charge

I rang the vrt booking phone number today as there were no appointments available to book online. Brought the car in from the north on Saturday.

What are peoples experiences of the wait times for an appointment? Presumably there is further delay if the appointment they give you doesn't suit?

Is there a risk of missing the 30 day deadline for paying the VRT?

Check again now. Bookings opened today for week beginning 20th may

I imported a disability vehicle it is a 162 reg with under the 6000km threshold can anyone explain why a vat charge

Because the mileage is under 6000km. The exemption covers VRT only

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

michellie wrote: »
    Because the mileage is under 6000km. The exemption covers VRT only

On the revenue site it says either over 6 months over 6000km

• Advertisement

On the revenue site it says either over 6 months over 6000km

Yes, if its under 6000km or under 6 months old VAT is charged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement